Ubuntu GNOME - Corrupted screen at boot...HELP!

The Dark Knight

I'm having some trouble with Ubuntu. Kindly note that I am a newbie to Linux. This is my hardware setup:

MSI AM1 motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/AM1I.html#hero-overview

Processor: AMD Sempron APU 2650 1.45 Ghz with Radeon R3 graphics

RAM: Corsair 4 GB DDR3 (single stick)

I have installed Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 after a few tries. The issue I faced during installation and the one I face during boot is a corrupted display. I have to turn off / reset the system multiple times before it works. I have updated it fully after installation, and also installed a proprietary AMD driver that was under the Additional Drivers section.

I get the GRUB boot screen below:

IMG_20160703_134659.jpg

After I select it, I get this:

IMG_20160703_134713.jpg

I have to hard reset / turn off the system multiple times before it boots.

Please help!! :cry::cry:

The Dark Knight

Just not going past the corrupted display now.....tried 5 times!

The Dark Knight

79 views and no replies? Please help guys...

Barney T.

It looks like a video driver incompatibility. I would reboot until you get a usable system up and running, back up all of your important data then look for another video driver (either the Ubuntu suggested or another version of the proprietary driver). You might also want to try different versions of either Ubuntu or a variation (like Mint or Debian) in a Live CD to see if the video works better with one of them. As another alternative, you could try Xubuntu for a different desktop since it uses less resources than Gnome or KDE.

Hope that this helps!

The Dark Knight
1 minute ago, Barney T. said:

It looks like a video driver incompatibility. I would reboot until you get a usable system up and running, back up all of your important data then look for another video driver (either the Ubuntu suggested or another version of the proprietary driver. You might also want to try different versions of either Ubuntu or a variation (like Mint or Debian) in a Live CD to see if the video works better with one of them.

Hope that this helps!

But the thing is, it does eventually boot with the exact same settings (BIOS). Earlier today I was configuring software and users in Ubuntu, no issues. The issue is only during boot. I tried booting with a Mint distro, same graphic corruption. So it is definitely a graphics issue, just that it happens before booting. If and when it eventually boots, everything works perfectly. Also, no drivers showed up under Additional Drivers in the OS.

Barney T.

Yeah, this is a tough one. Since drivers load at boot up, I think that it is an incompatibility instead of a corruption (since you can get it booted up from time to time. here is an incompatibility with the distro and your boot up. Again, if there are valuable files on this computer, I would save them first. Then you can try other distros or solutions.

Some others having this problem:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/460591/ubuntu-14-04-screen-corruption-on-live-desktop-amd-7970

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=127818.0

The Dark Knight

Ok, will try some other distro. Do you think Fedora will work? Since the ISO is pretty large, I assume it has a lot of drivers included?

Barney T.

You'li have to try the Live CD. Linux distros can be burned in .iso format as an image file and booted up as a Live CD. This installs the distro to RAM instead of the had drive. Then, you can see if it works better with your hardware. Post how this works and we can move forward! Each distro has it's own make up so the driver make-up could be different. Based on your computer hardware, the results will be different. Good luck and let us know.

The Dark Knight
40 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

You'li have to try the Live CD. Linux distros can be burned in .iso format as an image file and booted up as a Live CD. This installs the distro to RAM instead of the had drive. Then, you can see if it works better with your hardware. Post how this works and we can move forward! Each distro has it's own make up so the driver make-up could be different. Based on your computer hardware, the results will be different. Good luck and let us know.

I've tried with Fedora and Mint. They don't even let me boot into the Live environment! Same corrupted screen when I select the boot without installing options in each of them.

23 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Tried exactly like mentioned in the link you gave, same problem.

The Dark Knight

Just tried booting OpenMediaVault. Same issue! Looks like the motherboard itself is not compatible with Linux! :angry::angry:

Barney T.

Hmmm, looks like something in your hardware might not be compatible with Linux. The fact that other distros are unable to fix this problem points to hardware (still most likely your video card). Also, your GRUB menu boots up fine, so I believe that Ubuntu is installed correctly on your hard drive. Another option is to try another video card (if you have one lying around) and try to boot up using that instead. NVIDIA has always had a better track record with Linux.You'd have to select it in the BIOS or in the Linux settings. I am sorry that you are having such problems! :(

Mindovermaster
45 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

NVIDIA has always had a better track record with Linux.

Truth, that. When I moved from my Radeon 7850 to my 750Ti, my system became a lot better...

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

I've run into this issue before. It's always, always driver-related. It's got nothing to do with your hardware "going bad" or anything, so don't panic. :) 

Common problem. Nvidia users will see this a lot when using the open-source driver, and it will mostly correct itself; ie, there will still be artifacts on the screen but the user can at least get the system installed and then the proprietary drivers installed afterwards and the problem is eliminated upon next reboot.

I've only ever had one chipset that had Radeon R3 graphics on the chip in the house, a 5350 APU, and I never could get it running properly with Linux. Installed Windows on it and it's actually a fairly decent machine for what it is.

My advice is to get yourself a cheap Nvidia card, like a 610. They're $35~$55 on Newegg, and they'll push most games ... if you turn the graphics settings all the way down. I could get 25~55 fps in The Secret World with my old one. That's playable in my book. :yes: 

The Dark Knight
11 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

I've run into this issue before. It's always, always driver-related. It's got nothing to do with your hardware "going bad" or anything, so don't panic. :) 

Common problem. Nvidia users will see this a lot when using the open-source driver, and it will mostly correct itself; ie, there will still be artifacts on the screen but the user can at least get the system installed and then the proprietary drivers installed afterwards and the problem is eliminated upon next reboot.

I've only ever had one chipset that had Radeon R3 graphics on the chip in the house, a 5350 APU, and I never could get it running properly with Linux. Installed Windows on it and it's actually a fairly decent machine for what it is.

My advice is to get yourself a cheap Nvidia card, like a 610. They're $35~$55 on Newegg, and they'll push most games ... if you turn the graphics settings all the way down. I could get 25~55 fps in The Secret World with my old one. That's playable in my book. :yes: 

14 hours ago, Barney T. said:

Hmmm, looks like something in your hardware might not be compatible with Linux. The fact that other distros are unable to fix this problem points to hardware (still most likely your video card). Also, your GRUB menu boots up fine, so I believe that Ubuntu is installed correctly on your hard drive. Another option is to try another video card (if you have one lying around) and try to boot up using that instead. NVIDIA has always had a better track record with Linux.You'd have to select it in the BIOS or in the Linux settings. I am sorry that you are having such problems! :(

Looks like my only option is to run Windows on it then. The problem is this is a Mini ITX board, so there is only 1 PCI-E slot. I need this slot later on for a LAN card, as I intend to have a PFSense router VM running as well.

Thanks for all your help! :)

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

Understood. Yeah, that would be a problem. I suggest you try an older version of Mint based on 14.04 Ubuntu that has the proprietary drivers, such as 17.3. It'll be supported until 2019, and AMD have already said they're going to have something figured out by the end of the year.

Unless this was Mint 17.3/Ubuntu 14.04.x; in which case yeah .. but my own experience says you'll end up much the same way I did -- getting Windows for that particular hardware.

I have to say that for AMD being a full member of the OSS Foundation and everything, they sure are a bunch of foot-dragging sloths when it comes to actually supporting their own products on Linux and having some proper drivers. It's quite disgusting, really.

The Dark Knight
On 7/4/2016 at 8:17 PM, Unobscured Vision said:

Understood. Yeah, that would be a problem. I suggest you try an older version of Mint based on 14.04 Ubuntu that has the proprietary drivers, such as 17.3. It'll be supported until 2019, and AMD have already said they're going to have something figured out by the end of the year.

Oh, so 17.3 will not give me this problem then? If yes, that would be awesome! I tried the latest MInt 18 and plain Ubuntu 16.04. Strange that the older version of the OS has the drivers and not the new!! :s

The Dark Knight

Actually I think I'll just proceed with installing WIndows on it. It is an additional cost because of the license, but it is hassle free. And I can always run OwnCloud and PFSense in VM's. :)

Do you think this setup will be up to the task? Windows 10, the above mentioned VM's and incremental backups from computers on LAN. Incremental individual files that is, not image backups.

• 2 weeks later...
Unobscured Vision

Should be ok with Windows.

chrisj1968
On 7/3/2016 at 7:26 AM, Barney T. said:

You're right. Back in the early.. stone age days of Linux, 95-98-ish, I tried linux(AMD 600Mhz Slot A CPU day) but kept getting corrupt screens. my cards weren't up on drivers. So  I concur with Barney. even though that was many moons ago. But same exact problem. if you get your system back up, go to the forums and let the devs of the distros know of your issues. the only way for them to get the issue fixed.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Pay What You Want for the Complete Learn to Design Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time you can Pay What You Want for this Complete Learn to Design Bundle. Go from complete beginner to expert designer in this massive 65-hour bundle.

What's the deal?
      With the Pay What You Want bundles, you can get something incredible for as little as you want to pay. And if you beat the average price, you’ll receive the fully upgraded bundle! Included in this Pay What You Want deal, are the following courses:

Pay What You Want (as little as $1) for the unlocked item:

Learn Canva From an Expert Designer
      Create a Brand From Scratch Using Canva

Or beat the average price to also get the following items:

Learn Photoshop From an Expert Designer
      Get Familiar with the World's Leading Photo Editor

Learn InDesign By Creating a Flip Book & Magazine
      Get a Project-Based Approach to Learning InDesign

Adobe Illustrator Master Class
      Learn Illustrator From an Expert Designer

Graphic Design Master Class
      Learn Great Design From a Professional

Graphic Design Master Class: The Next Level
      Dive Into Advanced Graphic Design Topics

The Complete Graphic Design Theory for Beginners Course
      Build a Foundation From Which to Streamline Your Graphic Design Education

Become a Professional Graphic Designer
      Learn Everything You Need to Know About the Art of Graphic Design

Typography From A to Z
      Gain an Encyclopedic Knowledge of Typography

Become a Professional Logo Designer
      Discover How to Make a Brand Stand Out with a Sweet Logo

What's the benefit?
      The bundle represents an overall retail value of $1,466 But you can Pay What You Want for the unlocked course (as little as $1) Beat the average price and you'll take home the entire bundle. Qualify for the giveaway!
      Beat the Leader's price and get entered into the epic giveaway - plus get featured on the Leaderboard!

>> Pay What You Want for this Complete Learn to Design Bundle <<
      See other Pay What You Want deals This is a time-limited deal that ends soon.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

Home Gym Giveaway | Ultimate Gaming Giveaway (feat. PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X) Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By Copernic
      Inkscape 1.0.2
      by Razvan Serea

Inkscape is an open-source vector graphics editor similar to Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Freehand, or Xara X. What sets Inkscape apart is its use of Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), an open XML-based W3C standard, as the native format.

In contrast to raster (bitmap) graphics editors such as Photoshop or Gimp, Inkscape stores its graphics in a vector format. Vector graphics is a resolution-independent description of the actual shapes and objects that you see in the image. A rasterization engine uses this information to determine how to plot each line and curve at any resolution or zoom level.

Contrast that to bitmap (raster) graphics which is always bound to a specific resolution and stores an image as a grid of pixels.

Inkscape can import and display bitmap images, too. An imported bitmap becomes yet another object in your vector graphics, and you can do with it everything you can do to other kinds of objects (move, transform, clip, etc.)

While Inkscape does not have all the features of the leading vector editors, the latest versions provide for a large portion of basic vector graphics editing capabilities. People report successfully using Inkscape in a lot of very different projects (web graphics, technical diagrams, icons, creative art, logos, maps).

Download: Inkscape 32-bit | Standalone | ~100.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Inkscape 64-bit | Standalone
      Download: Inkscape for Other Operating Systems
      View: Inkscape Website | Release Announcement | Screenshot

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By zikalify
      How to create encrypted partitions on Linux with GNOME Disks
      by Paul Hill

Some of most popular Linux distributions including Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Fedora come with a disk and partition manager tool called GNOME Disks, a tool developed by the GNOME project. While it’s packed with features, one interesting capability that’s a bit tucked away is disk encryption; this can be used to create secure partitions on your hard drive or create an encrypted USB device.

In this short guide, I will show you how to create an encrypted USB stick. One of the drawbacks to encrypting the device using this method is that you'll be limited to what file system you use. To get started, go to your application menu and search or look for GNOME Disks, it might just be called Disks. If you don’t see it anywhere, then you’ll have to head to your package manager and do a search for it.

GNOME Disks showing multiple partitions on a USB stick Once you’ve opened GNOME Disks, you’ll need to plug in the USB device that you want to encrypt. The encryption process will wipe the device so be absolutely sure that you’ve backed up any important data.

When you plugged in your USB device, you should have seen it pop-up on the left-hand pane, if you didn’t, unplug the device and plug it in again. Once you see it, select it. At this point, you can keep the existing partitions intact and just format one of them or you can format the entire device, create a new partition, and encrypt everything.

The dialog box that appears once you choose to format the disk If you want to format everything, just press the three-dot menu button in the top right of GNOME Disks and select ‘Format Disk’ and feel free to adjust the erasure and partitioning options as you see fit. Once you're happy, hit ‘Format’ and then ‘Format’ again on the confirmation box. Once that’s done, you should see a plus button under the volumes, press that, select your partition size, and press ‘Next’.

Selecting EXT4 and LUKS encryption The next set of options are the most important, give your disk volume a name, then select the EXT4 option and tick the ‘Password protect volume’. If you do not want to use EXT4, press ‘Other’ and then hit ‘Next’. Here you can select XFS, Linux Swap Partition, BTRFS and possibly several others. Be sure to tick the ‘Password protect volume’ box on this screen if you choose one of these alternatives and press ‘Next’, then enter your password twice and press ‘Create’.

If you decided to keep several volumes on your device and you just want to encrypt one of a few of the partitions, select the partition to encrypt and press the gear icon next to the play and minus icons. You should now see ‘Format Partition’, selecting this will open up the same dialog box as the one described earlier and the instructions to encrypt the selected partitions are the same. Be sure that you’ve backed up any data from the partition you’re about to format.

While I’ve only gone over the instructions for encrypting a USB device, the guide is pretty much the same for encrypting internal and external hard drives too. If you plan to alter partitions on a hard drive that’s actively being used, you will have to do this process from a LiveUSB or LiveCD environment, and be sure that you’ve backed up any data you want to keep.

• By zikalify
      How to install and use Neofetch on desktop and mobile
      by Paul Hill

If you’ve spent any time looking around Linux subreddits, you may have seen some desktop screenshots where the user has their terminal displaying their system’s specs next to the logo of the operating system they use. While other programs can display information like this, one of the common options is called Neofetch – a program written in bash and available on all the popular operating systems and niche ones.

In this guide, I’ll show you how to install Neofetch on Windows, Mac, popular Linux distributions, Android and even iOS. In addition to installation, we’ll walk through some of the more advanced commands that you can run with Neofetch to customise the output.

Neofetch on Windows
      On Windows, you will need to install Neofetch using a tool called Scoop, a command-line installer for Windows. To install Scoop, you must be using Windows 7 SP1+ / Windows Server 2008+ and have PowerShell 5 and .NET Framework 4.5. Once you’ve got these, you’ll need to enter the following command in PowerShell: Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -Scope CurrentUser, affirm the changes if it asks.

Next, you’ll want to install Scoop using PowerShell. To do this, use the following command: Invoke-Expression (New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://get.scoop.sh'). You’ll be able to tell if Scoop has been installed by running: scoop help. Before installing Neofetch, you'll need to install git using Scoop, just type: scoop install git.

If all of those are installed properly, you’re now ready to install Neofetch by typing: scoop install neofetch. Once that is installed just type: neofetch into PowerShell and it will display your system’s specs and the Windows logo.

Neofetch on Mac
      Getting Neofetch working on a Mac is quite a bit easier than the process on Windows. Simply open the Mac Terminal and paste the following command to install Homebrew: /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)". With that installed you can type: brew install neofetch and once it’s done just type: neofetch to display your specs next to the Apple logo.

Neofetch on Linux
      Neofetch is easy to install on most Linux distribution, this guide includes instructions for installing Neofetch on Arch, Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu and their derivatives. For most of these, you will be asked to provide an administrator password.

Arch
      Install the package from the command line with the following command:

pacman -S neofetch

Debian
      Install the package from the command line with the following commands:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install neofetch

Fedora

sudo dnf install neofetch

OpenSUSE

sudo zypper install neofetch

Ubuntu
      Install the package from the command line with the following commands:

sudo apt update

sudo apt install neofetch

Once you have completed the Neofetch installation on any Linux system, you can run the program by just typing: neofetch into the command line. You will be shown the specs of your computer next to the logo of your particular Linux distribution.

Neofetch on Android

Using Neofetch on Android is fairly straight forward, just head to the Google Play Store and download the Termux terminal emulator, it can also be downloaded from F-Droid if you do not have access to the Play Store for some reason.

Once that’s installed, open it up and type: pkg update and select yes to any questions, this is usually achieved by typing y and pressing enter. Run this command twice just to make sure everything is ready. After you’ve done that, type: pkg install neofetch, when that’s complete type: neofetch. You can pinch to zoom out if any of the output is cut off.

Neofetch on iOS
      Neofetch can only be downloaded on iOS with a jailbroken device. You should use a package manager like Sileo to search for and install neofetch. Jailbreaking and installing a package manager is beyond the scope of this tutorial but you can find more information about Sileo on the project’s website.

Advanced options
      Neofetch’s default settings should be sufficient for most people but it does come with a decent amount of customisability. If you are comfortable reading help files just type: neofetch --help to see the range of options available to you, if not, here are some pretty cool selections.

When you run Neofetch it will display your operating system’s logo by default but you can make it display any logo by adding to the command. To do this just type: neofetch --ascii_distro distroname and replace distroname with something like ubuntu, fedora, windows etc. Amending _old to the operating system's name will load the old ASCII image if your selection has one. You can find a full list of supported operating systems within the help file, to access that type: neofetch --help.

If you want to personalise your Neofetch output you can create your own ASCII art and supply that to Neofetch. Once you have your ASCII art ready save it a .asc file, then type: neofetch --ascii /path/to/filename.asc.

Conclusion
      The advanced features outlined above are not exhaustive by any means, there are lots of settings that you can choose by diving into the Neofetch help file but the ones outlined above will help you get started. If you enjoy tweaking your desktop and want to show it off online, be sure to have your Neofetch output in the foreground so you can show off your specs too!

• By zikalify
      Ubuntu 21.04 gets the codename ‘Hirsute Hippo'
      by Paul Hill

Following the release of Ubuntu 20.10 almost a week ago, Canonical has revealed the name of the next version of Ubuntu to be ‘Hirsute Hippo’ – the adjective means hairy. Ubuntu 21.04 ‘Hirsute Hippo’ is set to be released next April and is the third Ubuntu release with an ‘H’ codename, the first being Ubuntu 5.04 'Hoary Hedgehog' and the second being Ubuntu 8.04 ‘Hardy Heron’.

Now that we know which animal has been chosen for the codename, it's likely that one of the wallpapers in Ubuntu 21.04 will feature a hippo as has been the case in most prior Ubuntu releases. Ubuntu 21.04 will be an inter-LTS release meaning that it will only be supported for nine months. While it will be stable, most people might be better off staying with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS until 2022 when the next LTS arrives.

According to Phoronix, the Hirsute Hippo is set to come with the GNOME 40 desktop environment, the Linux 5.11 kernel, Mesa 21.0 with more graphics support, Python 3.9, and GCC 10. This release could come with a new desktop installer and Wayland made the default instead of X.Org but nothing has been confirmed yet.

In the coming days, Canonical will start spinning Daily Build ISOs for Hirsute Hippo but the most exciting dates will be April 1 when the beta arrives, April 15 when we get the release candidate, and April 22 when Ubuntu 21.04 finally ships.

Source: Martin Wimpress (Twitter) via Phoronix