2 Dallas Cops Shot @ Anti-Police Protest - BLM

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

And really? People here have friends who are "blacks" - is that some sort of community service work? How much melanin do they need to qualify as a genuine "black" friend?

I call my Black friends, Black, because they prefer it to African American. I don't calculate melanin.

• Like 3

Just now, JHBrown said:

I call my Black friends, Black, because they prefer it to African American. I don't calculate melanin.

Buy why call attention to their skin color at all? Can't they just be a human friend?

And if African-American is just a synonym for Black which is just "sense of identity based on melanin production in the skin" then why object?

We are all African-Americans - no human being came from anywhere else. Or can you only be African if you didn't get the DNA mutation that prevents melanin production?

These are all such silly and trivial distinctions.

Maybe we can start a group of people from Africa with 4 or more moles on their body and call them African Molians. Anyone have African Molians as a friend?

Isn't a big part of the issue that people (very much so in this discussion) still divide the people from white and black. Nothing will change as long as they are considered two different groups. I know that there is a long history of dividing people in these group and that has given people different rights, different bias over time but still it's just people. Really silly that time has made such a simple genetic property as color this huge impact.

Regarding the subject it's of course extremly sad. I guess people will now find new anger and reasoning to further continue this already sad story.

EDIT: Didn't see the newer posts which seems to point in the same direction. Like someone said above, the concept really needs to disappear.

Edited by Pettor

Just now, DevTech said:

Buy why call attention to their skin color at all? Can't they just be a human friend?

"African American" is a mouthful. In my experience, black people almost never use that term unless it is some official deal.

But then, people use other descriptors - but having black skin is kinda the more telling trait to refer to people by. It is the guilt by association (assuming all black people will act the same because of the activities of a few) that things start going askew.

18 minutes ago, DevTech said:

And if African-American is just a synonym for Black which is just "sense of identity based on melanin production in the skin" then why object?

We are all African-Americans - no human being came from anywhere else. Or can you only be African if you didn't get the DNA mutation that prevents melanin production?

Maybe we can start a group of people from Africa with 4 or more moles on their body and call them African Molians. Anyone have African Molians as a friend?

The other problem here is consistency. I know some people who are proud to be black and actively ask that if you are referring to them as anything, please use black rather than African or "other".

I met one girl who got really upset when being referred to as black and told me quite rudely that I am not white, I'm Caucasian.

To be honest, ill call anyone anything they like. My neighbor, who is black had this conversation with me and she said to call her black, white, Jamaican, African, dopey, what ever you like. She is the same as me, in the fact she cant understand the big wotsit about skin color. As long as its not being used in an aggressive manner, who cares. I usually use it as a way to explain what someone looks like, "the black\white girl upstairs with the red lipstick and big boobs" etc :p

28 minutes ago, Pettor said:

Isn't a big part of the issue that people (very much so in this discussion) still divide the people from white and black. Nothing will change as long as they are considered two different groups. I know that there is a long history of dividing people in these group and that has given people different rights, different bias over time but still it's just people. Really silly that time has made such a simple genetic property as color this huge impact.

Regarding the subject it's of course extremly sad. I guess people will now find new anger and reasoning to further continue this already sad story.

If we could stop using the invalid term "racism" and call it "skin-color-ism" then maybe people would just feel sillier about it all, maybe embarrassment for using such a trivial difference to separate a human being into another group.

Although you are right that it is a genetic property, it is a trivial one. The variance of DNA with people of light skin color and within the "large amount of melanin" group is far larger than the variance of DNA between this artificial grouping. Hence it just couldn't get sillier.

32 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

"African American" is a mouthful. In my experience, black people almost never use that term unless it is some official deal.

But then, people use other descriptors - but having black skin is kinda the more telling trait to refer to people by. It is the guilt by association (assuming all black people will act the same because of the activities of a few) that things start going askew.

"having black skin is kinda the more telling trait to refer to people by"

Well there is no such thing as skin colored actual black. So this "telling trait" is some percentage of optical darkness compared to some percentage of optical lightness as it is perceived by some percentage of a very stupid eyeball.

Because what you see is a processing function of the human brain. Humans can easily learn to process this information of melanin percentage from "telling trait" to "background noise" if people of all amounts of melanin stop calling out attention all the time to skin pigment.

It would be easy to say that skin color mattered as much as height or whatnot... but from an anthropological view, there are cultures and sub-cultures that do apply most common to racial groups. In some cities, that is gang ties... but it can also be more benign cultural groups like Cajuns or groups tied to a community like Haitian or Cuban immigrants who have a traumatic break and associate together. You can even make connections for groups like the Irish, who may be over-represented in some specific way in some city. None of these are reason to apply special treatment on a national level. People are going to seek out and connect with people with similar traits, it is just how people are. Civilization is about those groups working together.

23 minutes ago, restroom said:

The other problem here is consistency. I know some people who are proud to be black and actively ask that if you are referring to them as anything, please use black rather than African or "other".

I met one girl who got really upset when being referred to as black and told me quite rudely that I am not white, I'm Caucasian.

To be honest, ill call anyone anything they like. My neighbor, who is black had this conversation with me and she said to call her black, white, Jamaican, African, dopey, what ever you like. She is the same as me, in the fact she cant understand the big wotsit about skin color. As long as its not being used in an aggressive manner, who cares. I usually use it as a way to explain what someone looks like, "the black\white girl upstairs with the red lipstick and big boobs" etc :p

It is highly unlikely that you have enough Caucasian ancestry to to be riding with the Cossacks so you could have told her that was very improbable or was she simply assigning you to an arbitrary group based on your melanin production capacity?

The other issue is a math problem sort of. When is comes to "isms" people should be taking the Absolute Value instead of seeing a positive number that somehow cancels out a negative number. To say for example the common phrase "Black is Beautiful" is to participate in exactly the same "ism" as people holding the opposite viewpoint. Both parties are morally wrong by assigning a worth (negative or positive) to a human being based on the amount of melanin in his/her skin cells.. "I am an empowered Human Being" or something like that should be a sufficient alternative to the "ism" based "Black is Beautiful"

8 minutes ago, DevTech said:

It is highly unlikely that you have enough Caucasian ancestry to to be riding with the Cossacks so you could have told her that was very improbable or was she simply assigning you to an arbitrary group based on your melanin production capacity?

The other issue is a math problem sort of. When is comes to "isms" people should be taking the Absolute Value instead of seeing a positive number that somehow cancels out a negative number. To say for example the common phrase "Black is Beautiful" is to participate in exactly the same "ism" as people holding the opposite viewpoint. Both parties are morally wrong by assigning a worth (negative or positive) to a human being based on the amount of melanin in his/her skin cells.. "I am an empowered Human Being" or something like that should be a sufficient alternative to the "ism" based "Black is Beautiful"

Absolutely! Equal treatment for black or white people should be "Equal treatment for all".

3 hours ago, Rippleman said:

Sorry to the blacks on this board who are good people, but after tonight, if black society wasn't already in a downward spiral, watch the fall out from this. It will take decades to come back from the negative stigma. This was the straw that broke the camels back I think and you will see an extreme (cold) change in white/black relations.

And there's a major part of the issue at whole, people on both sides still thinking of blacks as a separate society...

Just now, HawkMan said:

And there's a major part of the issue at whole, people on both sides still thinking of blacks as a separate society...

I kind of agree and disagree. Both black, white, Jewish, Muslims, Christians etc. see themselves as A community. If we saw each other as part of one big community with independent life values, whilst looking past our skin color differences, then that would be great.

Some white people place black people as a black community, but black people do the same to themselves. They place themselves as a black community that deserves the same rights as white people. They are just humans who should be treated equal to all humans.

1 minute ago, restroom said:

I kind of agree and disagree. Both black, white, Jewish, Muslims, Christians etc. see themselves as A community. If we saw each other as part of one big community with independent life values, whilst looking past our skin color differences, then that would be great.

Some white people place black people as a black community, but black people do the same to themselves. They place themselves as a black community that deserves the same rights as white people. They are just humans who should be treated equal to all humans.

There are communities within and across skin colors, but there is NOT ONE community for all blacks, or all whites or any other skin color. 

This is the unfortunate consequence of allowing police to murder citizens with impunity. People are angry at the police and rightly so. That doesn't in any way justify an atrocious act like this but the frustration they felt is understandable. How would you feel if members of your family had been murdered by police and those officers are allowed to walk away without consequence? That anger is felt across large segments of the United States, particularly amongst the black community.

People need to have trust and faith in police officers and right now that is utterly lacking. Police officers who murder suspects need to be jailed; police brutality needs to be taken extremely seriously; police unions need to stop being allowed to shield officers from prosecution; police need to be held to a higher standard that the average citizen. People need to have a legal recourse for opposing police brutality and right now that is lacking, leading people to take actions into their own hands.

Unfortunately this horrific act will only make the situation worse for both officers and citizens alike. :no: And as long as high-powered weaponry is so easily obtainable there is virtually nothing that can be done to stop future attacks like this.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

There are communities within and across skin colors, but there is NOT ONE community for all blacks, or all whites or any other skin color. 

There should only be one community. Until that happens, individual communities will always want what the other has.

38 minutes ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

This is the unfortunate consequence of allowing police to murder citizens with impunity. People are angry at the police and rightly so. That doesn't in any way justify an atrocious act like this but the frustration they felt is understandable. How would you feel if members of your family had been murdered by police and those officers are allowed to walk away without consequence? That anger is felt across large segments of the United States, particularly amongst the black community.

People need to have trust and faith in police officers and right now that is utterly lacking. Police officers who murder suspects need to be jailed; police brutality needs to be taken extremely seriously; police unions need to stop being allowed to shield officers from prosecution; police need to be held to a higher standard that the average citizen. People need to have a legal recourse for opposing police brutality and right now that is lacking, leading people to take actions into their own hands.

Unfortunately this horrific act will only make the situation worse for both officers and citizens alike. :no: And as long as high-powered weaponry is so easily obtainable there is virtually nothing that can be done to stop future attacks like this.

What happened last night did not help the situation one bit for sure. We as a society need to have complete trust in our police, but that does not mean we should start cherry picking them for a select number of bad apples. 

Police injustice is a big problem in this country, and yes is worse if you are black. However there are times when the media and social media do not report cases like this with Dylan Noble a white kid
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/07/dylan-noble-fresno-white-lives-matter-police-shooting-video

Because of the lack of reporting on this there were no protests across the country,

People should not be shot over a simple traffic stop plain and simple. 

• Like 3

Black lives matter...blue lives matter....one problem here is that people are seeing color instead of coming together and making things better for all the people.  I would figure that by now color wouldn't be that important and something used to push a movement or support towards something.   I have black, Asian, Hispanic, and a few other ethnicity in my family.  I was raised to not look at color and more to who the person is.  If people could learn to do this, world would be a much better place.

2 hours ago, DevTech said:

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging peoples differences whilst still giving everyone equal rights.

Lets not pretend we're all the same because we're not, but there is no reason to treat people differently based on those differences.

• Like 3

Last suspect detonated a bomb, killing himself. He talked to the hostage negotiator first. Per PD Chief,

Upset at BLM 

Wanted to kill cops

Wanted to kill white cops

Etc.

Minimum of one bomb confirmed. 

Last suspect died after the detonation of one of the bombs.

Claimed more IEDs are around, and will be found.

Suspect said,

Upset at BLM

Upset at recent shooting.

Wanted to kill white people.

Not affiliated with any groups and did this alone.

(I am typing this with the briefing of the update from DPD.)

Chief thinks more were involved.

Huh! Security analyst said the cops detonated a bomb with a robot. 

Edited by DocM

The chief said the bomb was attached to a robot and detonated when near the suspect.  Suspect did not detonate a bomb.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

The weapons used were actually NOT easily obtained. These were not off the shelf semi-automatic rifles, these were full auto and the purchase of these by civilians as been banned since 1934.  In essence, this does nothing more than demonstrate how useless a weapons ban can be. Bad guys had weapons that are (and have been for 82 years) illegal to own. Hmm ....who'd a thunk it.  

The other thing I want to say is that while there certainly are bad cops (bribes, extortion etc) and  there are also under-trained cops. These are primarily the ones that have been killing unarmed people of ALL color. These cops didn't kiss their wife and kids in the morning and leave the house with the intention of killing anyone.  In almost all cases, these under-trained cops encountered situations that over escalated and because of the lack of training, bad things resulted.  Should they be held accountable? You bet your butt. That said, this action last night was the complete opposite, it was a well planned, and extremely well executed attack by professional killers with the intent to go out and kill as many as police as possible.   There is no amount of 'frustration' that can explain this. One guy with a hand gun or semi-auto rifle snaps, that's frustration.  Four snipers... nope that's something way different than frustration.