iPad Locked. Getting calls about that recently.

As of the last week and a half i've gotten 3 calls about peoples iPad that all of the sudden wants a passcode or the passcode they have always been using stops working. Then after they try so many time the iPad becomes locked and has to be factory reset via iTunes. But then it has to be activated using the original iCloud account that it was activated on when they first got it. So far it takes a while for people to figure out which one they used.

Has anyone else been seeing it? Is there some exploit in the wild locking iPads up?

I went from getting no calls about this to getting 3 in a week 1/2

They should write the codes down so they know which one they used for passcode.

For example:

As of July 2016:

Passcode for iPad is 1234

icloud acct: myemail@address.com

pass: password goes here.

Save it in safe place... 

For some reason he/she is locked out and not remember, so he/she can get the note out of the safe place and see what the code was.

Otherwise he/she is screwed and has to reset to start all over.

For some reason, not working at all, go to account page and remove the locked device and try again.

32 minutes ago, warwagon said:

As of the last week and a half i've gotten 3 calls about peoples iPad that all of the sudden wants a passcode or the passcode they have always been using stops working. Then after they try so many time the iPad becomes locked and has to be factory reset via iTunes. But then it has to be activated using the original iCloud account that it was activated on when they first got it. So far it takes a while for people to figure out which one they used.

Has anyone else been seeing it? Is there some exploit in the wild locking iPads up?

I went from getting no calls about this to getting 3 in a week 1/2

What your running into is people's passcodes expiring and them setting new passcodes and forgetting it. I believe apple started forcing passcode resets at 60 or 90 days now so people can stop being insecure.

I had a few calls about this and i ask "did you end up changing your passcode cause it expired and i get "oh yeah but i just made it the same thing". Well you cant... lol so people are adding something to the end of their current password, forgetting it and boom

3 minutes ago, Sikh said:

What your running into is people's passcodes expiring and them setting new passcodes and forgetting it. I believe apple started forcing passcode resets at 60 or 90 days now so people can stop being insecure.

I had a few calls about this and i ask "did you end up changing your passcode cause it expired and i get "oh yeah but i just made it the same thing". Well you cant... lol so people are adding something to the end of their current password, forgetting it and boom

The bold part, I have not seen anything about that...  

I mean I have not seen notification about having to reset the passcode.

33 minutes ago, Sikh said:

Well one person said his passcode was all 1's. He said it worked up until it didn't.

17 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Well one person said his passcode was all 1's. He said it worked up until it didn't.

If he can't remember at all, then he will have to reset via iTunes and start over..

BTW, maybe his ex took over and changed the passcode without his knowledge?  

Check and see if iTunes restore has more backup dates in it.. If so, restore the date that worked for him before this issue.  For example:

[device name] 5/25/14

[device name] 10/3/15

[device name] 6/10/16

Pick one of the backups mentioned above. If iTunes has 1 date, then he's probably screwed.  If he noticed the backup date that he didn't backup on that day, then someone screwed it up.

BTW, I am not really sure if iTunes transfer the passcode between PC and apple device.

If his device is jailbroken, he can remove it and start new without restore/reset the device as long as he has a way to access to it. If he's scared to do it, you can do it for him..

3 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

if his device is jailbroken, he can remove it and start new without restore/reset the device as long as he has a way to access to it. If he's scared to do it, you can do it for him..

These are all old people. The one who calls me to day, can't even remember her own email address let alone her iCloud email. Told her to call her ISP and get her email address then i'll try to do a password reset on the icloud account with that email and see if that email even was registered. I hope it is because if it's not, she will have ZERO idea which email she used / created and the iPad can't be reactivated without it.

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

These are mostly old people. The one who calls me to day, can't even remember her own email address let alone her iCloud email. Told her to call her ISP and get her email then i'll try to do a password reset on the icloud account and see if that email even was registered. I hope it is because if it's not, she will have ZERO idea which email she used / created.

If she has iTunes, she can look at email address which mentioned here. (Scroll down to iTunes section on that page)

If iTunes is logged out, then she can try one of the followings:

If it is hotmail or outlook, then she can call MS for email address look up.

If it is icloud or me.com, then she has to call Apple for it.

BTW, If she is able to log into email then she can look for email from Apple such as "Welcome to iCloud" or "Thank you for registering with Apple" ( Not sure what exactly subject would be) email that she signed up. That way she will know which address she uses with for that device.

If it is jailbroken, then you may be in luck for email address look up in the log unless it's encrypted.  I have not tried that one yet.

If it is not jailbroken, then try this one which I mentioned above.

11 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

If she has iTunes, she can look at email address which mentioned here. (Scroll down to iTunes section on that page)

If iTunes is logged out, then she can try one of the followings:

If it is hotmail or outlook, then she can call MS for email address look up.

If it is icloud or me.com, then she has to call Apple for it.

BTW, If she is able to log into email then she can look for email from Apple such as "Welcome to iCloud" or "Thank you for registering with Apple" ( Not sure what exactly subject would be) email that she signed up. That way she will know which address she uses with for that device.

If it is jailbroken, then you may be in luck for email address look up in the log unless it's encrypted.  I have not tried that one yet.

If it is not jailbroken, then try this one which I mentioned above.

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to guess this 80 year old lady didn't jail break her ipad :laugh:

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to guess this 80 year old lady didn't jail break her ipad :laugh:

You're welcome. :)

I know but you never know her son/daughter could jailbreak it for her...  you never know. 

I would do for my parents but they don't have tablets..   If they did, then I would jailbreak it ...  in case they forget the passcode, I can go in and replace it in matter of seconds. That way, they wouldn't worry about losing the data such as pics, docs, etc.

I would tell them to write down and keep it in safe place in case I am not around due vacations or trips..   Otherwise they have to wait until I get back to them for the issues they may have.

I am one of these "old" people and have iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone6S+ and know my pass codes and passwords and e-mails, all noted in a safe place, I also know and have in a safe place, my granddaughters password and pass codes and email for her iPhone and iPad and her PC and my sisters, three of them, my brothers, all my codes and passwords for software etc. etc., all typed out and in a folder, just in case I get to eighty and can't remember or in case I point my toes up, then my family can still use or reset my hardware. By the way I have used the same pass code for my Apple software for some years and have never had notice from Apple to change.

4 minutes ago, jimkraz said:

I am one of these "old" people and have iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone6S+ and know my pass codes and passwords and e-mails, all noted in a safe place, I also know and have in a safe place, my granddaughters password and pass codes and email for her iPhone and iPad and her PC and my sisters, three of them, my brothers, all my codes and passwords for software etc. etc., all typed out and in a folder, just in case I get to eighty and can't remember or in case I point my toes up, then my family can still use or reset my hardware. By the way I have used the same pass code for my Apple software for some years and have never had notice from Apple to change.

ya, i'm still wondering if something else is going on, still seems strange 3 in 1 week. Why someone who had a passcode to unlock his ipad which he knew, he used and then all of the sudden stopped working.

"Why someone who had a passcode to unlock his ipad which he knew, he used and then all of the sudden stopped working."

Here is the thing, users are generally stupid and they well lie right to your face..  This is just how it is.. Maybe he actually remembers it that way, but odds are no that is not what what actually happened.  Why would you keep trying the same code over and over again until you lock it??  This points to the users being stupid statement ;)

Are we talking 4 digit pin, or new longer alphnum pin?  Do these new devices not have fingerprint access?

As to 3 calls in 1 week, yeah that just plain coincidence..  I wouldn't be surprised that you don't get more calls about passwords.  So you only got 3 in a week, or you got 3 in a week about ipads..  How many other forgot this info calls did you get?

21 hours ago, warwagon said:

ya, i'm still wondering if something else is going on, still seems strange 3 in 1 week. Why someone who had a passcode to unlock his ipad which he knew, he used and then all of the sudden stopped working.

You do Tech Support, like BudMan said they are lying to you, simple as that, I've done support long enough to know when someone is lying to me in a chat and on the phone