"Reserve" That Windows 10 free status after July 29th

Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 10’s free upgrade offer will expire on July 29, 2016. After that, you’ll have to pay $119 to upgrade on any computer that hasn’t already made the leap. But with a few simple steps, you can “reserve” that free copy now, so you can upgrade after July 29 without paying.

We know not everyone wants to upgrade to Windows 10 right now, and that’s fine. But one day, you’ll probably have to. And you don’t want to have to pay $119 for it. By upgrading a computer now and then rolling back to Windows 7 or 8, you’ll get to keep your original version of Windows, but “reserve” that free Windows 10 license for all your PCs.

source

This is dangerous and could leave you with an unusable system, either upgrade, or don't... don't upgrade then roll back. If the roll back fails you might be looking at a clean install. And this isn't a real "reserve" method. This is going through all of the motions then rolling back to your previous OS. 

• Like 2

Easier to just make a drive image with Macrium Reflect and then restore that.

I do wonder if my PC will still be eligible after a motherboard and CPU change.

10 minutes ago, Luc2k said:

Technically no. It *might* let you squeeze through though.

11 minutes ago, Luc2k said:

afaik ... if you upgraded from a non-OEM version of Windows ... you retain all rights to the original license ... thus you can transfer said license to another system.

1 minute ago, jjkusaf said:

afaik ... if you upgraded from a non-OEM version of Windows ... you retain all rights to the original license ... thus you can transfer said license to another system.

The problem is a motherboard and CPU change makes the system more than 60% different, invalidating activation. It technically is a different computer.

It could still activate though, hard to tell these days.

Technically speaking no you shouldn't be eligible, however in all my years of dealing with activation from Microsoft they have always said yes to a reactivation. They would rather you be legit than to steal it.

Personally I feel that they will extend this deadline out if the numbers don't look a certain way. Besides its not like they have announced how they are going to deal with the systems that have already done the pre-download but just need to install and reboot. Lets say you been hitting no to this for a while and by "accident" you click yes. Does that mean after the 29th its going for to charge you before the upgrade starts or afterwards when your locked into the new OS? Also this does not make sense because many people might give it a try once they see what is in the upcoming update.

25 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

The problem is a motherboard and CPU change makes the system more than 60% different, invalidating activation.

Even then ... on retail/upgrade copies ... you can transfer the OS to another system and reactivate it.  I see nothing on their software agreement which invalidates this.  So, you've upgraded from 7 (upgrade/retail) to 10 ... decide to change your whole system ... you can still (or should be able to) transfer your license to the new system...though you might have to call MS.  Also, with the new linking (in the upcoming AU) of your license to you Microsoft account you might be able to reactive by going to Settings > Activation > Troubleshoot > "I changed hardware on this device recently."  /shrug

Obviously you need to remove the OS from the old system...and this isn't applicable to OEM copies.

Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Microsoft License Terms

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

The problem is a motherboard and CPU change makes the system more than 60% different, invalidating activation. It technically is a different computer.

It could still activate though, hard to tell these days.

Unless its changed, a retail license allowed transfer. Upgrading to Windows 10 shouldn't change that unless they specify that in the Win10 EULA.

8 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

Unless its changed, a retail license allowed transfer. Upgrading to Windows 10 shouldn't change that unless they specify that in the Win10 EULA.

He was taking oem when I replied. Therefore it's not a retail license in the scenario @jjkusaf presented. Not that it matters, I was discussing activation which doesn't take these nuances into consideration. Which if it fails, you gotta take it up with MS India support. In which case, you gotta plead your case with them over the phone. 

12 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

He was taking oem when I replied. Therefore it's not a retail license in the scenario @jjkusaf presented. Not that it matters, I was discussing activation which doesn't take these nuances into consideration. Which if it fails, you gotta take it up with MS India support. In which case, you gotta plead your case with them over the phone. 

hmm...didn't see anything about what "version" (i.e. retail, upgrade, oem).  Though I think it'll be easier to swap hardware (to include full system change) with AU when you can tie in your digital entitlement to your Microsoft account...so you may not have to call Microsoft India :)  Obviously OEM is excluded in all of this. 

I personally don't mind paying for the operating system a few years from now. In 2020, Windows 10 should be as flawless as possible right? So the deadline is of no concern to me, or those in my circle.

Turn the computer off, disconnect your main hard drive, connect spare drive, install Windows 10 to that, check to see if it's activated. If it is, then turn the computer off, disconnect the spare and reconnect the original drive. BAM, Reserved!

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

Turn the computer off, disconnect your main hard drive, connect spare drive, install Windows 10 to that, check to see if it's activated. If it is, then turn the computer off, disconnect the spare and reconnect the original drive. BAM, Reserved!

I still have my Windows 7 cloned onto my Evo drive .... just - in - case. :) I'll probably blow it away after the AU update and move my games to it.

Just now, jjkusaf said:

I still have my Windows 7 cloned onto my Evo drive .... just - in - case. :) I'll probably blow it away after the AU update and move my games to it.

ya I have about 3 or 4 spare ssd's laying around I use for this kind of thing.

53 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

A free Digital Entitlement however is not a retail license.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xendrome said:

Do they explicitly forbid a transfer in the new EULA?

5 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

Do they explicitly forbid a transfer in the new EULA?

They say to call them which means it is a grey area. Some third party sites say you cannot. The original free upgrade offer was supposed to be just for the life of that machine, not the license. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

They say to call them which means it is a grey area. Some third party sites say you cannot. The original free upgrade offer was supposed to be just for the life of that machine, not the license. 

I see, thanks :)

19 minutes ago, xendrome said:

...but it retains the rights from whichever version you upgraded from ... right?  I haven't seen anything that says otherwise (officially).

13 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Digital entitlement is not mentioned in the EULA.  You retain the license rights for whichever system you've upgraded from ... again ... per the Windows 10 EULA ...

Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

So, I'm not seeing anything in the EULA regarding digital entitlement.  I don't care what other 3rd party sites say ... where is it from Microsoft?  If Digital Entitlement falls under another category then they should probably put it in the EULA.  Otherwise...someone (like myself) will assume I either have OEM (software preinstalled) or Retail/Upgrade (stand-alone software). 

Anyway, I'm fairly certain you'll be able to change hardware in the future.  You may have to call Microsoft ... or do it from within Windows after the Anniversary Update (where you can link your license to your MS account).

11 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

...but it retains the rights from whichever version you upgraded from ... right?  I haven't seen anything that says otherwise (officially).

Digital entitlement is not mentioned in the EULA.  You retain the license rights for whichever system you've upgraded from ... again ... per the Windows 10 EULA ...

So, I'm not seeing anything in the EULA regarding digital entitlement.  I don't care what other 3rd party sites say ... where is it from Microsoft?  If Digital Entitlement falls under another category then they should probably put it in the EULA.  Otherwise...someone (like myself) will assume I either have OEM (software preinstalled) or Retail/Upgrade (stand-alone software). 

Anyway, I'm fairly certain you'll be able to change hardware in the future.  You may have to call Microsoft ... or do it from within Windows after the Anniversary Update (where you can link your license to your MS account).

I didn't make it up. It's right on their site.  If you upgrade you have to call them. If it was a clear cut answer they would have been more specific. When Windows 10 was announced, they said the upgrade was free for the life of the machine. While not outright specific, that sure doesn't sound like it is transferable. 

19 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I didn't make it up. It's right on their site.  If you upgrade you have to call them. If it was a clear cut answer they would have been more specific. When Windows 10 was announced, they said the upgrade was free for the life of the machine. While not outright specific, that sure doesn't sound like it is transferable. 

I understand the phone call ... I'm just about 99.9% certain that you can make significant system changes (to include a whole new build) and still have your Windows 10 free upgrade activated without needing to buy a new license.  You still retain your license of whatever version you upgraded from (Retail/Upgrade/OEM...though OEM you can not transfer).  There isn't anything specific to digital entitlement/license in the EULA.

Also, with the anniversary update ... you probably will not need to call them anyway.  Please see below from the Insider Preview Build 14371 release notes.

Activation Improvements: We’ve received feedback from Windows Insiders who have run into activation issues on Genuine Windows devices after making changes to device hardware such as replacing a hard drive or motherboard. As part of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and starting with this Insider Preview build, we’re introducing the Activation Troubleshooter that will help you address most commonly encountered activation issues on Genuine Windows devices including those caused by hardware changes. For example – if your device has a digital license (formerly called “digital entitlement”) for Windows 10 Pro from a previously installed activated Windows 10 build but you accidentally re-installed Windows 10 Home on such a device, the troubleshooter will automatically guide you through upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and activate Windows. You can launch the troubleshooter by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and select Troubleshoot. Remember, Windows 10 Insider Preview builds are intended to be installed on Genuine Windows devices.

Based on Insider feedback, we are also introducing the ability to link your Microsoft account (MSA) to the activation digital license with this Insider Preview build. If you already used an MSA to log in to your activated Windows 10 Home or Pro device, your MSA will be automatically linked. You can use this MSA linked digital license to re-activate your Genuine Windows 10 device by running the Activation troubleshooter, if you run into Activation issues caused by hardware changes

Anyway, sure would be nice if MS would clear this up. :) 

Microsoft confirmed to me on twitter that you wouldn't be able to move that free upgrade license to a new computer:

5 hours ago, xendrome said:

Agreed check my tweet above.