Windows Not Starting

Here's a photo. 

I can't figure it out. Windows loads the loading screen but then this. It's not graphics because the loading screen (and recovery options) show fine.

Bios had a funny date, 2099.

Windows 10 Pro.

I plug in a recovery drive but the computer then says it can't read it.

Tried resetting but it gets stuck at 8% and then says it can't continue. I had to reset a couple of months ago I think. HDD monitoring things say the drives are okay though.

There's nothing too important on the Windows drive so starting afresh is easy (although might take the opportunity to upgrade it to SSD) but that's not solving the puzzle.

What say you Neowin?

image.jpeg

For starters, go in to your bios and set the correct date. 
At least rule that out as a problem then get back to us 

Get out the CMOS?

Set the correct date but still no joy. Tried nearly all the settings in Recovery, part from safe mode.

I've ended up buying a SSD and re-installing to that. An expense I didn't really need but at least I'll ha e a faster experience.

I'll just have to connect the old hard drive and make sure it boots from the new drive so I can delete the old installation.

Still a mystery though.

Although the battery might be dead as I had to reset the data again. Surprising as I've never come across a motherboard battery that has died...

That would be my suggestion.... change the battery on your motherboard and then reset the time in your CMOS/BIOS. This has happened to me on occasion and it sounds like the same thing is happening to your computer.

• Like 2

Yeah, but it was a boring old HDD.

I always knew I would have to update to SSD at some point in the future.

Glad the clean install of Windows 10 went okay using the Windows 7 key.

Might have to do that to the family PC - still loads of junk left over from Windows 7.

• 2 months later...

Here's an update:

Moved house, just got round to sorting the PC out, which went well.

Set up the speakers, tested - lovely.

"Slept" the PC, but instead of turning off, the fans kept going.  Then the PC started up again, but going through the BIOS checks and such.  Windows logo appears, then the above screen, again, in the same way.  This is despite Windows now being on a new SSD.  I can get to the recovery and everything displays fine.

Is this still a potential battery issue?

If so, why would it cause this?

Did you replace the battery back in July? if not and the PC had been plugged in since then you would have probably never noticed any issues until the PC was unplugged and you moved house.

For sleep to work their should be a setting in your bios for various sleep modes, you want this on S3.

As to the cause, batteries don't last forever. I've seen some on motherboards last 10 years, others only last 2-3. You might just have got unlucky.

At a guess i'd say your PC is forgetting the bios settings when it's unplugged.

7 hours ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Here's an update:

Moved house, just got round to sorting the PC out, which went well.

Set up the speakers, tested - lovely.

"Slept" the PC, but instead of turning off, the fans kept going.  Then the PC started up again, but going through the BIOS checks and such.  Windows logo appears, then the above screen, again, in the same way.  This is despite Windows now being on a new SSD.  I can get to the recovery and everything displays fine.

Is this still a potential battery issue?

If so, why would it cause this?

One of our PCs just doesn't work right with Windows 8/10's fast startup. I turned it off in the power settings and it stopped restarting after shutdown/sleep.

either battery, or power supply, or both. Those things stick out to me more than anything. How old is the system? Are you in a place where there is lots of static-electricity build-up? Did you ground yourself before sticking your hands into the case? We need more details. I hate bumping ancient threads.....shouldn't this have been locked?

Disconnect the power from the back of the computer and with it disconnected, hold the power button down for 10 seconds and then for good measure just mash the power button a few times too. Then plug the power back in.

On 10/10/2016 at 9:56 AM, InsaneNutter said:

Did you replace the battery back in July? if not and the PC had been plugged in since then you would have probably never noticed any issues until the PC was unplugged and you moved house.

For sleep to work their should be a setting in your bios for various sleep modes, you want this on S3.

No :/  I replaced the HDD for a SSD and all seemed well with the world, so I thought it was just something corrupt there.

It booted up fine after being un-plugged for over a month as I was testing out the speakers but then all of a sudden, the first shut down and BOOM, no likey.  It's strange as Windows loads fine, but as soon as it wants to load the login screen (which automatically logs in for me), it borks.

The motherboard is about 3/4 years old.

I'll have a look at the battery, although I have just squeezed it into a small space and not sure if I'll be able to get it out very easily (had to take the lid off to get it in, then couldn't get the darn thing back on - it's a Silverstone).  I'll check the BIOS too.  I haven't actually checked to see if it's the wrong date/time.

On 10/10/2016 at 5:49 PM, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

I hate bumping ancient threads.....shouldn't this have been locked?

Hardly an "ancient" thread - but why make a new one when the first one had further details?