Trouble with Kali

+xrobwx71

I installed Kali 2016.1 64bit in a dual boot scenario with Win 10 Pro 64bit. It was working great for a few hours as I booted into Kali, I surfed, I executed a few apps, checked out the calculator, etc etc. I chose restart went back to Win 10 and did not have internet, reset net adapter and internet works. Surfed a bit, decided to go back to Kali, booted to Kali fine surfed, etc... this happened about 6 times or so then I got this trying to boot into Kali: kali_issue.jpg

I can boot into WIn 10 just fine. I am new to Linux so...... Thanks!

Unobscured Vision

Wow. Did you reboot a couple of times and the problem occur each time? If it did, then either GRUB is borked or the drive you installed to is failing.

• Like 1
+xrobwx71
34 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Wow. Did you reboot a couple of times and the problem occur each time? If it did, then either GRUB is borked or the drive you installed to is failing.

thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did reboot a couple of times in order to go back and forth between Kali and Win 10. This looks to be do able from my internet research. And as I said, it did work the first few times. Why would GRUB be borked? I didn't do anything but surf and open a few programs in Kali. I didn't even open terminal yet at this point.Is Win 10 doing somthing to GRUB?  The drive is fine as far as I can tell as I am typing this on the Win Pro install from said drive. The drive is only about 5 months old. Yes, I know you can get a "new" bad drive but I've extensively tested this drive with use: Gaming, Gimp, etc for 6+months. 

I have been peeking around at linux for a few years and decided to give it a go. I messed with Ubuntu for a month or so  about 3 years ago. I'm thinking maybe I should just stick with Windows for now.

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

Shouldn't be possible for Windows to be doing anything like Hibernating the drive. Should also not be possible for Windows to do anything to GRUB either.

Was there any update activity inside Kali before you rebooted, or did you interrupt an in-progress update? That's the only thing aside from something more deliberate or a failure that I can think of that could do this. :( 

+xrobwx71

Not that I could tell. There was no indication to anything happening. No dialogues ect.  I tried re-installing Kali and GRUB  to the partition and it did the same thing.  By the way, this partition I created on the C:\ drive in which the Windows 10 Pro resides, using gparted. I booted Kali from a USB and installed from there to this partition. It all worked very well through five or 6 reboots (switching between Windows 10 and Kali). 

update:

I have since deleted the partition I created and rebuilt the Windows MBR and will start over. I'm going to go over the steps and make sure I didn't miss anything. I  have a great desire to learn Linux at least as well as I know Windows. I have a live version of Kali on USB with persistence and I think I'll stick with that until I learn more.

I do sincerely thank you for your time. 

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

No worries, it's no trouble at all. I'm keen to find out what the problem is myself. :yes: 

Usually Debian-based Distros are quite well-behaved. If it's a deficiency with Kali itself you'll want to make sure to let the Devs know about it. Usually it's something they can fix straightaway and move upstream (with updates). The fact that it was reproducible leads me to believe that it's a flaw in Kali and not something you did. Also, it survived 5 or 6 reboots, so it sounds to me like it's a dodgy update that they've got lurking in their repos somewhere.

Anyway. Enough of my mindless drooling. Lemme know if I can be of any further help. :) 

• Like 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft releases a new Windows Feature Experience Pack with screen snipping improvements
      by Rich Woods

Back in November, Microsoft finally explained what a Windows Feature Experience Pack is, as it had been spotted inside Windows for some time. It's a way to deliver new features without delivering a new build, and today, Windows Insiders on the Beta channel are getting Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0.

This new Windows Feature Experience Pack (presumably, this incredibly long name isn't the final name of the product) doesn't have much in the way of new features, but it's meant to improve the reliability of the screen snipping experience. Part of how that's happening is removing the ability to paste a screen snip into a folder in File Explorer.

The reason that's being removed is because there was an issue that was filed by Windows Insiders, and the team is planning to add the feature back at some point.

In order to get today's Windows Feature Experience Pack, you'll need to be on the Beta channel and on build 19042.662 or higher. It will arrive via Windows Update, just like all other updates. Microsoft also noted that it plans to deliver more significant Windows Feature Experience Packs, and it plans to release them more often. At some point, it's going to be part of the normal servicing process.

• By zikalify
      Tails OS 4.15 released with updated Tor Browser
      by Paul Hill

Tails OS 4.15 has been released today bringing with it updates for the Tor Browser, the Linux kernel and fixes for several issues including USB tethering not working with devices running iOS 14 or later. Luckily, there are no new issues introduced with this version of the privacy-oriented OS but it’s still affected by long-standing issues.

According to the release notes, there are no new major changes in this update outside of updated software. The only new feature is that you now have the option to press “Don’t Show Again’ on the security notification that pops up when you attempt to run Tails on a virtual machine.

This update does come with several critical software patches for things like the Tor Browser which is now on version 10.0.9 (based on Firefox 78.7), Thunderbird has been bumped to 78.6.0, and the Linux kernel now sits on version 5.9.15 bringing support for newer hardware. The new kernel update also addresses a bug that prevented iOS 14 devices from being used for tethering.

To install Tails 4.15, you’ll either need to follow the guide to setting up a Tails USB to perform a clean install or you can upgrade an existing Tails install. When you’ve booted up your Tails 4.2 or above USB and connected to the internet, you will be offered the upgrade. If you choose to update, the new version will download and begin to install. If you would like to see what’s planned in future updates, check out the Tails roadmap.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft's Surface Laptop 4 is reportedly coming in April
      by Rich Woods

Last we heard, Microsoft was planning to launch the Surface Pro 8 and Surface Laptop 4 in January, but what we got instead was the Surface Pro 7+. Now, it seems like the Surface Laptop 4 will arrive in April as part of a spring product launch, thanks to a report from Zac Bowden of Windows Central.

Once again, the processor choices are between Intel and AMD, with Intel using its 11th-generation 'Tiger Lake' processors. That means that graphics power is once again being bumped up with Iris Xe, although don't expect to see Thunderbolt 4, especially because there are also AMD options. The report doesn't specify whether Microsoft will be using Ryzen 4000 or 5000, but rumors up until this point have pointed at Ryzen 4000.

One thing that's different this time is that you'll be able to find AMD and Intel variants in both the 13.5- and 15-inch sizes. Previously, the 13.5-inch model was Intel only, but the $999 base model will now include a Ryzen 5. There's probably no change in the 15-inch model, which used AMD in the consumer models and Intel in the business models.

The report also confirms that there's no change in the design, and there's no surprise there. While the Surface Laptop has visually looked the same since the first-generation, aside from the USB Type-C port that was added, quite a bit of it was redesigned for the Surface Laptop 3. The report did say that the beloved Cobalt Blue color is finally going away in favor of the Ice Blue color that we've seen in the Surface Laptop Go.

I've been told that Microsoft is focusing on more subtle colors for now, and those include colors like Ice Blue and Sandstone. But if you're a fan of the bolder colors that we used to see from Surface Laptop, such as Burgundy and Cobalt Blue, they could make a comeback at some point. You're going to see changes in colors yearly, and it's going to be whatever the team thinks is in style.

The Surface Laptop 4 is likely going to be announced at a mid-April event. Naturally, it will be virtual-only.

• By News Staff
      Save up to 90% off the Power User PC Software Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time, you can save up to 90% off the Power User PC Software Bundle. Recover data, erase sensitive files and convert audio/video files with these highly-rated software for Windows.

This bundle consists of the following items:

Stellar Data Recovery Standard: 3-Yr Subscription
      Retrieve Deleted Data from Windows Device — Lost Documents, Media, FIle Formats & More Stellar Data Recovery for iPhone Standard: 3-Yr Subscription
      Recover Deleted Photos, Videos, Texts, Contacts & More BitRaser File Eraser: 3-Yr Subscription
      Completely Wipe All Your Sensitive Data in Just Few Clicks, No Technical Skills Required Stellar Repair for Photo Standard: 3-Yr Subscription
      The Best DIY Tool to Repair & Restore Corrupt Photos Stellar Converter for Audio & Video: 3-Yr Subscription
      Convert Audio & Video Files to Your Desired Formats in Just Few Clicks Good to know
      Length of access: 3 years Device per license: 1

This plan is only available to new users

Updates included

Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, specs, and license info, click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Power User PC Software Bundle normally costs $614, but you can pick it up for just $59.99 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $554.01 (90% off).

>> Get this deal now, or learn more about it <<
      See all discounted Apps + Software on offer. This is a time-limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Home Gym Giveaway | Ultimate Gaming Giveaway (feat. PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X) Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By zikalify
      Firefox Nightly starts faster on Windows with skeleton UI
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has enabled a new feature in Firefox Nightly on Windows 10 called skeleton UI, the idea is that when you start the browser on the first boot, the browser shows a spartan window just to show that the browser is loading. According to Doug Thayer, a Firefox Platform Engineer, the change will give users a visual indication of the browser loading as much as 15 seconds faster than normal.

Typically, Firefox should load fairly quickly on subsequent launches but when launching it for the first time after boot it can be slow as data on the hard drive has to be accessed. By offering a skeleton UI, users will know that Firefox is loading and not try to mash the Firefox icon which will only cause delays as several more browser windows attempt to open.

The skeleton UI will show the outline of the URL bar and the tabs but icons in the browser chrome, tab names, and strings in the URL bar are just represented by thick grey lines to show that those bits of information are still loading.

As with other features Mozilla attempts to implement in Firefox, the skeleton UI is currently only available on Windows 10 systems. It’ll likely come to other supported Windows versions soon enough but there’s also macOS and Linux which would benefit from the feature too. Once the skeleton UI launches on the stable branch on Windows 10, hopefully, we won’t have to wait long for it to show up on other platforms.

Via: Ghacks