Exchange 2016 on Server 2012 r2 Standard. What CAL's do I need

Do I need user CALs for the 2012 r2 server in addition to the required CALs for Exchange 2016?

10 users total

10 user CALs for Exchange. 

Do I need 10 user CALs for the 2012 server? The Server OS is just going to host Exchange. It will not be doing any file sharing. AKA users will only access email.

I hope this is clear and easy to answer. Thank you for your help.

12 hours ago, sc302 said:

Yes. If they auth via ad you need 2012 cals.  If they connect to exchange, they need exchange cals. 

If if that isn't clear enough, you need both. 

Are you saying that if you auth via AD then you just need server 2012R2 CALs? When does one needs CALs for exchange?

Because you are accessing exchange and using exchange features like getting mail, sending mail, using owa, and maybe even using exchange active sync and outlook anywhere. 

On 7/19/2016 at 10:26 PM, xendrome said:

Well technically he needs zero 2012 CALs... and ten 2012 R2 CALs :)

technically your also wrong :) he needs 10 2012 R2 Server CALS and 10 Exchange 2012 CALS.

Anything below requires exc CALs.

OWA use = Exc CALS, Mailrouting = exc CALS, resource booking = exc CALS.

On 7/20/2016 at 10:22 AM, Danielx64 said:

Are you saying that if you auth via AD then you just need server 2012R2 CALs? When does one needs CALs for exchange?

using exchange for anything, mail routing, free/busy connector, OWA all require Exchange CALS as well as Server CALS for connectivity (even if files are not being served, AD auth requires Server CALs)

https://products.office.com/en-gb/exchange/microsoft-exchange-server-licensing-licensing-overview

Edited by Mando