I have managed a week

Hey, thought I share some information,

So a week ago I installed Ubuntu 16.04 as my main operating system and said goodbye to Windows (still relying on Office tho, sad story). I have tried linux before, multiple times, usually I just customize the hell out of it and then the whole system gets messy, stuff doesnt work and I would install WIndows back. Or I couldnt get used to the new and different ways of doing things, since, Linux is quite a huge learning curve after all.

But this time, instead of 2 days I have already managed a week, and nothing really is bothering me at the moment. Of course there are some small things here and there, that I'm not yet used to and commands I barely know how to use, but I'm managing. Havent really customized it either, quite stock, and I somewhat even like it. Wish the battery runtime was as good on my Elitebook as it is on WIndows, but its not that much worse, I can handle that. The touchpad scrolling sometimes is messy too.

But all in all, I'm happy for myself, that I have managed even a week and the future is looking positive as well.

Wish me luck and any tips or help how newbie could become more familiar with Linux is of course, welcome

Well, Unity/Gnome are heavy DE's. I would rather you use XFCE4 or LXDE. Those are a little lighter.

But, grats on your week. I've been on it for about 5 years now.

Welcome to the Light Side. We don't have much in the way of cookies, but there are Penguins and Geckos. :laugh:

Seriously though, we've got a very helpful Tips, Tricks, and Useful Things Thread (in my signature) that will show ya how to do some nifty things. And the Linux Thread here will show you some good stuff, it was a real boon to myself and others when we were all new.

Pass on what you learn. And if you've got questions, we're always around to answer. Might take us a few to answer, but we'll get to ya. :yes: 

I wish I could do this but I use office way too much, specifically onenote to just give up Windows. Additionally I have quite a few games that either dont run or dont run well on Wine currently.