How often do you go to the gym? Which activities do you perform?

For the many members here on Neowin, I ask: how often do you go to the gym?

Also, what do you do at the gym?

---

I go to the gym at least 4 times a week (I would go everyday if time permits).

I would hit the treadmill for an hour. After that, I decides what I would so next. It could be elliptical, stair stepping, etc. etc.

Don't go to the gym anymore as I didn't like spending the money on it.  Eventually figured that I'd rather put that money towards a nice bike, so I now go out riding for my workouts (along with some free weights at home).

I'll do shorter 30-40km bike rides on weekdays and then do longer ones on weekends.  Find it way more enjoyable to be outside enjoying some great scenery than just spinning in a workout room.

Personally i never "Hit the Gym". Purely because i find exercise much more fun when out and about in the wild rather than indoors in front of a screen (which is waaaay to closely related to work).

• Like 1

I go every day that I am not at work. I do spin cycle class as well as lift for 2 hours. Both of my hips have been replaced from years of running, so I ride instead. I turn 60 in September....this makes my life much more manageable.

IMG_0543.JPG

17 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

I don't go to the gym, I bodyweight train and jog.

I used to run 4 to 6 miles a day back in my mid thirties, now both of my knees are shot and I ran mostly on grass with decent running shoes. Barney's method is the best for the least amount of wear and tear on the body.

I'm not sure if I've ever stepped foot in a gym before. I sometimes think that I would like to improve my upper body strength, but those thoughts are always fleeting. :laugh:

On 24/07/2016 at 7:01 PM, illegaloperation said:

For the many members here on Neowin, I ask: how often do you go to the gym?

Also, what do you do at the gym?

---

I go to the gym at least 4 times a week (I would go everyday if time permits).

I would hit the treadmill for an hour. After that, I decides what I would so next. It could be elliptical, stair stepping, etc. etc.

Can I ask what you do on the treadmill for an hour?

When I used to go to the Gym it would depend on how I felt and at my "peak" level of fitness but it used to be some combination of;

Rowing machine - 20 mins or 2 x 10 minutes

Elipical trainer 40 - 60 mins

Treadmill - 5K run

Treadmill - interval training, 5 to 10 1 min sprints with 1 min cooldown between

Bike - 10K Cycle

Bike - interval training, 20 1 min sprints with 1 min cooldown between with resistence turned up for each sprint.

sometimes some of the weight machines but I was never interested in strength so it was more used as a "cooldown" between the more cardio things

However thanks to an office move I now cycle 6 miles (12 mile round trip) 5 days a week which took some working up to given I'd not been keeping my fitness up and had put on quite a bit of weight and I'm now trying to get back into running. As I'm not the fittest guy in the world I'll generally only do one or two 1 mile runs and then a 3 mile towards the end of the week.

If like recently I've had some days off so not been cycling I've tried to bump those runs up to 2 miles.

Managing to get the weight off slowly now, lost about a stone in the last 12 weeks which I'm happy with (I lose a few pounds during the week and then put them back on over the weekend :p)

On 7/25/2016 at 10:31 AM, Barney T. said:

I go every day that I am not at work. I do spin cycle class as well as lift for 2 hours. Both of my hips have been replaced from years of running, so I ride instead. I turn 60 in September....this makes my life much more manageable.

IMG_0543.JPG

How many servers can you lift bro?

I have a Gym membership but lately have been doing running/jogging 5-6 days per week using Runkeeper Go with the custom training plan.  I find going out for a run much more fun than walking from machine to machine or weights to weights doing sets.

I was in the gym this morning, and I rebooted a PC.  Sometimes I have to reboot one of our NAS devices.:D

Where I work, our server room is also a gym - weight machines, free weights, heavy punch bag etc.  Never actually used it myself as I don't want to be sweaty/sticky all day afterwards.

I'm back to karate, much better workout than the gym. I try to go at least 4 times a week.

On 7/25/2016 at 11:31 AM, Barney T. said:

On 7/25/2016 at 11:37 AM, Gary7 said:

I used to run 4 to 6 miles a day back in my mid thirties, now both of my knees are shot and I ran mostly on grass with decent running shoes. Barney's method is the best for the least amount of wear and tear on the body.

Interesting... We have a lot of runners where I live and I always make comments their knees will be shot in 20 years or so. Guess I am right about that... Running on concrete just seems dumb and not natural to me.

It's summer so no reason to be in the gym. The GF and I enjoy getting out for walks, hiking, and kayaking during the summer. I will go back to the gym in September to continue my boxing classes.

1 hour ago, oldtimefighter said:

Interesting... We have a lot of runners where I live and I always make comments their knees will be shot in 20 years or so. Guess I am right about that... Running on concrete just seems dumb and not natural to me.

It's summer so no reason to be in the gym. The GF and I enjoy getting out for walks, hiking, and kayaking during the summer. I will go back to the gym in September to continue my boxing classes.

Fast walking is much better for the knees. The only thing all that running helped for me was my heart. I had angioplasty done and was told that running and or aerobics was the best so I ran. I was 35 at the time and was running before it as well but I also smoked.

14 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Fast walking is much better for the knees. The only thing all that running helped for me was my heart. I had angioplasty done and was told that running and or aerobics was the best so I ran. I was 35 at the time and was running before it as well but I also smoked.

You had angioplasty at 35? Damn... Dude, the first thing you do is quit smoking. We recently had a 4K (or something) run going down the street where I live and before the race saw two participants having a smoke. WTF? I was so close to saying something not very nice.

I havent been to the gym since leaving school, that was around 30 years ago. Really need to start going though to loose some weight.

Daily, 6-days a week. Once or twice a day depending on whether I split lifting and cardio into two 1-1.5 hour sessions or one long 2-3 hour session.

• 4 weeks later...

My every new year resolution is to go to gym from this year on and how my resolution gets destructed every year is another story. But surprisingly for the past 2 months I have been hitting gym and doing cardio and pilates every weekend so that is like a great achievement for me.