[Outrageous] UH Student Government Sanctions VP for 'All Lives Matter' Facebook Post

Just now, wakjak said:

If you think it's rubbish, fight to change the law. Have them change the first amendment to your liking. Tell them you want to say whatever you want on the facebooks without repercussion. That'll surely pass into law. 

It is not that easy to change The First Amendment or any for that matter.

Just now, wakjak said:

Then I guess anyone complaining about this story just needs to suck it up and move on.

Probably but Private schools and say this forum can set their own rules/laws.

Two very big issues here. 

First Issue

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence on a private service or from your workplace. Many workplaces monitor social media activity already. 

Second Issue

The PC crowd needs to chill, what this person said is just a difference in opinion, it really doesn't seem worthy of a suspension. Students at universities need to understand that it is OK to have a difference in opinion and if someone does, not to try to silence them. If this person said something more vile or threatening then yes there should be consequences

1 hour ago, wakjak said:

If you think it's rubbish, fight to change the law. Have them change the first amendment to your liking. Tell them you want to say whatever you want on the facebooks without repercussion. That'll surely pass into law. 

Do love the way you authoritarians try using that as a rationalisation. Firstly, no reasonable person would consider what she said worthy of punishment in the first place. It's only black supremacist racist types that don't like hearing the idea that other people's needs matter as well. And secondly, forcing someone to voice your opinions instead of their own is in no way a consequence of bad behaviour, that would be you using force to coerce them, which is just wrong. People like you are utterly vile.

• Like 3

On 2-8-2016 at 2:46 PM, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

"Is this another case of political correctness on college campuses run amok?" No, "Forget #BlackLivesMatter" is a ridiculously insensitive and cruel thing, for a person in his/her position, to PUBLICLY post, the BlackLivesMatter movement is in protest at people being murdered in their cars or in other situations where they've done nothing illegal at all by a police force which has been militarised both mentally and physically.

Because white people are never shot for doing nothing illegal? It is kinda the other way around, there are plenty instances of police violence against white people (or any other color), but they just don't get media attention.

1 hour ago, wakjak said:

They're not restricting constitutional rights. Facebook posts are not protected by free speech laws.

Not to be disrespectful, but where are you getting this?

They are, you just cannot do anything that you couldn't do in a newspaper of standing on the street corner.

10 minutes ago, ncoday said:

Conveniently that page leaves out the fact that 90% of black deaths are by other blacks:

http://www.politifact.com/florida/article/2015/may/21/updated-look-statistics-black-black-murders/

There lies the grand irony of the so called "black lives matter" movement. The ones black lives seem to matter to the least is between blacks themselves.

33 minutes ago, Javik said:

Do love the way you authoritarians try using that as a rationalisation. Firstly, no reasonable person would consider what she said worthy of punishment in the first place. It's only black supremacist racist types that don't like hearing the idea that other people's needs matter as well. And secondly, forcing someone to voice your opinions instead of their own is in no way a consequence of bad behaviour, that would be you using force to coerce them, which is just wrong. People like you are utterly vile.

We're not justifying it, merely stating that the school legally can suspend for this reason. Whether or not it was a comment worth suspending is an entirely different matter. I don't think it was, and am tired of seeing both private and public institutions seeking to restrict and silence disparate thought. It's a terrible, and agreeably authoritarian response to a difference in mindset when schools are about being forums of learning and understanding. However, it's still not illegal.

As a young man I read the novel 1984. Back then I was able to reassure myself that society would never devolve to the point of pushing a totalitarian system. Then I grew older and was introduced to the SJW generation.

Social Justice Totalitarianism and Basic Human Freedoms are not compatible. 

2 hours ago, Javik said:

<snipped>

If you go to university you play by their rules and that includes what you post on social media. 

Just like you can get fired for posting something your boss doesn't like. 

IE: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7210122

If you don't like it, move on with your life. You don't make the rules and never will. This is a private University,  they didn't like what she said so they took appropriate action. 

Edited by Jason S.
flamebait

28 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Yes they are but BLM seems to focus on Police that are there to protect and serve.

Which is why it really isn't "BLM" (Black Lives Matter) because apparently they don't matter if the aggressor is other blacks

3 minutes ago, wakjak said:

Boo hoo.  Someone disagreed with you, automatically means I must be sjw/black or authoritarian. Wrong on all fronts by the way. 

If you go to university you play by their rules and that includes what you post on social media. 

If you don't like it, move on with your life. You don't make the rules and never will. This is a private University,  they didn't like what she said so they took appropriate action. 

Your work place does not preempt your rights, and can only do so to an extent, within reason, under specific circumstances that can stand up to scrutiny.

If you post something on your own time, from a connection that you personally own, then they CANNOT punish you for it. You CANNOT be fired for posting things your boss does not like without significant repercussions towards said organization if what was posted does not done on a company owned connection, or on company grounds. Doing so violates not only your freedom of speech, but also freedom of expression and/or affiliation. Granted that there are circumstances where this can occur, however in most reasonable cases that cannot take place. So long as your opinion, or speech, does not impair your ability to perform in whatever role you serve, your employer CANNOT directly take action against you.

SJW's need get over it, move on with their lives, and accept that people do NOT live in a massive "safe space". Colleges are suppose to be preparing these people to go out into the world, not coddle them, shield them from dissenting opinions that hurt their feelings, or attempt to silence any counter arguments. It's pathetic how Orwellian these places have become.

ALL lives matter. PERIOD. That is a reasonable, inclusive, and absolutely correct statement. Regressive logic is regressive, and the University should be ashamed of itself. PERIOD.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MDboyz said:

There is no freedom of speech in this Country, if you go against Liberals/Dem.

There is. It just doesn't mean what half the damn people think it does. This much is obvious.

36 minutes ago, wakjak said:

There is. It just doesn't mean what half the damn people think it does. This much is obvious.

The Constitutional Right is really just protection from prosecution and legal ramifications. However, being able to speak one's mind has been for a long time a fundamental part of American society. So while not against the Constitution, it isn't exactly a fantastic practice when used in situations such as the one present in this article.

If this was someone getting suspended at a Catholic school after tweeting a pro-abortion position, I'm sure the SJW's would be up in arms over it.

2 hours ago, wakjak said:

<snipped>

"Appropriate action". Right. Potentially ruining this girls schooling career over a hashtag on a private forum special snowflakes don't even have to go to if they don't want to. And this is Appropriate?

In what way is this appropriate? 

1 hour ago, trag3dy said:

"Appropriate action". Right. Potentially ruining this girls schooling career over a hashtag on a private forum special snowflakes don't even have to go to if they don't want to. And this is Appropriate?

In what way is this appropriate? 

It's their right to hand down any punishment they see fit.

You can't see it objectively and opt to only reply on emotion.  

They pay for the privilege to go to University, it's not a right. Privileges can be taken away, at will.

4 hours ago, wakjak said:

<snipped>

Yes and no, we are all raised to have an opinion, and the internet is a great forum to do that on. The problem now is that as society we or at least some of the younger generation has gotten this mentality that if you don't agree with us you are suddenly in the wrong and need to be silenced. This is very dangerous, as it spills over from the internet into real life. Its happened a lot lately on college campuses. Some of these student just need to grow a pair and accept that not everyone will agree with them and that it is OK. Freedom of speech goes both ways here. 

Now with that said Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence or judgment. This girl was a representative of the university, so she is held at a higher standard. What she posted though did not seem to be vulgar, life threatening or really even racist.  There are much worse things she could have said that would have deserved this punishment 

I hope ethics courses in school are adjusting to the internet age here

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wakjak said:

It's their right to hand down any punishment they see fit.

You can't see it objectively and opt to only reply on emotion.  

They pay for the privilege to go to University, it's not a right. Privileges can be taken away, at will.

That's not what I asked. I asked why you think it was appropriate action to take. Your words not mine.

And I can't see it objectively? I think it's the opposite of that. I'm not the one so offended by words written in a place I would have go to out of my way to see that I have to silence the opposition and force them to go to mandatory diversity workshops to make sure a specific narrative is upheld despite all facts and statistics to the contrary.

But yes. I'm the one arguing from emotion.

Edited by trag3dy