Xbox One S (All Models) - General Discussion

So let me start this off. Life of Pi on 4K UHD with HDR looks great, Glad I waited for this instead of sinking $399 on just a Samsung UHD player.

Anyway, I don't want Kinect, so I am selling it with my old Xbox One Day one Edition. But, I really want to use voice commands without a headset. Anyone seen any solution out there, will a USB mic work?

9 minutes ago, timster said:

It would be nice if I could sign into Xbox Live so I could get my 2tb unit set up

Lol yeah they are having some service issues, probably due to the load.

9 hours ago, xendrome said:

So let me start this off. Life of Pi on 4K UHD with HDR looks great, Glad I waited for this instead of sinking $399 on just a Samsung UHD player.

Anyway, I don't want Kinect, so I am selling it with my old Xbox One Day one Edition. But, I really want to use voice commands without a headset. Anyone seen any solution out there, will a USB mic work?

I don't think a USB mic works actually, but I'm not 100% sure at this point.   I think you'll have to use the headset if you don't want Kinect, at least until someone makes sure or releases some sort of 3rd party mic that does work.

• George P pinned this topic

So, I am seeing this on my XBox One S, with a JU7100 65 inch Samsung 4k and a Yamaha RX-V381. 10-bit is enabled on the XBox, UHD Color is enabled on the TV HDMI ports. Guess I will bypass the receiver at lunch and see what happens.

2016-08-03%2007.22.26.jpg

Ok, I just found a setting in the receiver. On page 65 of the manual you have to go into "Advanced Setup" which means holding down Straight and pressing power when the unit is off. Then you have to scroll to 4K Mode, and change it to Mode 1. It factory defaults to Mode 2

Mode 1: 4K 4.4.4, 4.2.2 or 4.2.0 format.
Mode 1: 4K 4.2.0 only

download_20160803_091811.jpg

• Like 2

So it sounds like MS is looking into maybe adding support for Dolbys HDR format as well, probably through a firmware update, we'll just have to wait and see.  I think HDR10 is going to be the default format all the TV makers go with though.

42 minutes ago, George P said:

So it sounds like MS is looking into maybe adding support for Dolbys HDR format as well, probably through a firmware update, we'll just have to wait and see.  I think HDR10 is going to be the default format all the TV makers go with though.

Unless the Xbox One S has the Dolby hardware, that isn't possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Unless the Xbox One S has the Dolby hardware, that isn't possible.

Well, if that's the case then someone should tell the guys over at DF, who seem to know everything, that said as much in their video. 

3 hours ago, George P said:

Well, if that's the case then someone should tell the guys over at DF, who seem to know everything, that said as much in their video. 

DF said in their review that Dolby Vision is not supported?

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

DF said in their review that Dolby Vision is not supported?

They said Dolby Vision is not supported and Dolby Atmos, then say that they're told by MS that they're looking into a firmware update, that might have been just for adding Dolby Atmos  support since it looks like you can't add Dolby Vision support without hardware.  I watched the video a second time to double check.

Just now, George P said:

They said Dolby Vision is not supported and Dolby Atmos, then say that they're told by MS that they're looking into a firmware update, that might have been just for adding Dolby Atmos  support since it looks like you can't add Dolby Vision support without hardware.  I watched the video a second time to double check.

DF didn't say that. Microsoft did. And it wasn't the first time when they were asked:

The current Xbox One does not support direct bitstreaming for audio formats. This limitation prevents users from enjoying the object-based audio formats, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. For now, it seems that the Ultra HD Blu-ray playback of the Xbox One S will carry with it a similar limitation. When asked if the Xbox One S support direct bitstreaming, Atmos, and DTS:X, a Microsoft Spokesperson responded, "Support for Dolby Atmos, Direct Bitstreaming and DTS:X is something the team is exploring but we don’t have anything to share just yet."

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/games/ultra-hd-bluray/Dolby_Vision/media-remote/2tb/the-xbox-one-s-will-support-hdr10-but-dolby-atmos-direct-bitstreaming-dtsx-support-remain-elusive/33645

You really need to stop laying into news outlets which have done nothing wrong.

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

DF didn't say that. Microsoft did. And it wasn't the first time when they were asked:

You need to go back and read my original quote again, really I don't know what's gotten into you as of late.

"So it sounds like MS is looking into maybe adding support for Dolbys HDR format as well, probably through a firmware update, we'll just have to wait and see.  I think HDR10 is going to be the default format all the TV makers go with though."

My original words,  which were quoted, the firmware bit was in DFs video, they said, in their video, what MS said, which is what I said.  After watching the video a second time the firmware quote, which is in DFs video, is probably about adding ATMOS support since it seems you can't add Dolby Vision without the right hardware.

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

You really need to stop laying into news outlets which have done nothing wrong.

You need to lay off, and relax,  the fact is you've jumped the gun here because of how I replied to a post about a DF video after my original viewing of it.    I didn't know I had to put kid gloves on when talking about the media outlets you seem to love so much.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, George P said:

You need to go back and read my original quote again, really I don't know what's gotten into you as of late.

"So it sounds like MS is looking into maybe adding support for Dolbys HDR format as well, probably through a firmware update, we'll just have to wait and see.  I think HDR10 is going to be the default format all the TV makers go with though."

My original words,  which were quoted, the firmware bit was in DFs video, they said, in their video, what MS said, which is what I said.  After watching the video a second time the firmware quote, which is in DFs video, is probably about adding ATMOS support since it seems you can't add Dolby Vision without the right hardware.

You need to lay off, and relax,  the fact is you've jumped the gun here because of how I replied to a post about a DF video after my original viewing of it.    I didn't know I had to put kid gloves on when talking about the media outlets you seem to love so much.

Are we talking about the same video?

Rich says "Though what I'm told from Microsoft....". DF didn't say it was possible with a FW update. Microsoft aren't even confirming it is, only that they'll investigate.

It has nothing to do with loving, liking or even supporting any web site or news reporter. It's just facts. I couldn't care less who provides them, so long as you stop downing sources unnecessarily. "Someone should tell the guys over at DF, who seem to know everything, that said as much in their video..." implies DF said it was possible, when they did no such thing. DF don't do teardowns AFAIK, so they're not about to start just to look for Dolby components. You're literally mocking someone for not doing something, that they never claimed to do. Look to someone like iFixit for a closer look.

Less snark, more facts :yes:

23 hours ago, xendrome said:

I would be fantastic if Xbox supported standard Webcams/Mics. Maybe now that MS has given up on Kinect, they will add that functionality. Headsets do work though, and least Microsoft's. I haven't hooked it up yet, but MS says it will.

6 hours ago, George P said:

I think for the most part, HDR10 is the defacto standard. MS can't support it without the hardware and I don't think they have it selling the One S so reasonably. Plus, they don't need to. All Dolby HDR devices will support HDR10. With the added parts costs and Dolby license, I think this is only a discussion because Xbox One S has raised everyone awareness of the two standards. The TV manufacturers have made HRD10 the defacto standard. MS got everything about the Xbox One S right, so far. It's the most meaningful minor revision ever.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

Rich says "Though what I'm told from Microsoft....". DF didn't say it was possible with a FW update. Microsoft aren't even confirming it is, only that they'll investigate.

I told you to look at my original post, I said it was said from MS to begin with, why are we still going on about this?     The video states that they've heard from MS of maybe doing it through a FM update, they don't say it will happen or that it can't happen that way, they never said, in their own video, that it isn't possible, they didn't discredit it, and as far as them not doing teardowns looking for hardware, well then maybe they should've looked into it better?     The video for it's part says, and I quote " though what I'm told from Microsoft is that they are investigating a firmware update."   So, it sounds to me like a firmware update could happen and add support, that's what it sounded like to me.

Maybe they should word their stuff better to begin with.  The line makes it sound like it's possible to me, I don't see how it comes across any other way.    If it sounds different to you well, ok then.    As far as less snark and more facts, my original post is facts, MS looking into a possible firmware update, fact.   Anything else?

7 hours ago, George P said:

Dolby Vision support will more than likely be included with Scorpio.

I don't know what the licensing costs to Dolby cost for it, maybe it will though, depends as it's another factor that adds to the cost of the device.   Still a long way off though, and by then maybe it's a non-issue?  

*grabs the popcorn* I don't remember the last mod fight I saw :shifty:

I don't think licensing costs are as big an issue with consoles as with the OS, since a lot more comps are likely to never use it.  Dolby Vision seems like a fight that's already been lost, but I guess we'll see.

Stupid question, I know the list of games which support HDR are yet to be released, can current games get a patch for HDR?