Xbox One S (All Models) - General Discussion

maybe MS can come up with a device that's basically an decked out Mic (ala Amazon Echo) that would be welcomed.

maybe they can build that into the Project Scorpio...

i reserved the 500GB model.

Although, it's nice to see that MS stepped the hdd up to a sata III, I just like the idea of my games being on external devices.

Getting a 2nd 4TB drive in the near future that I will use to back up my current 4tb drive and then unplug and put away for safe keeping.

6 hours ago, PeterTHX said:

Dolby Vision support will more than likely be included with Scorpio.

I personally doubt it. Why do you think that? Dolby Vision is not a standard, the cost for the hardware is significant, and how many gamers will have Dolby Vision? Every TV now supporting 4K UHD has support for HDR10.

17 minutes ago, Showan said:

maybe MS can come up with a device that's basically an decked out Mic (ala Amazon Echo) that would be welcomed.

maybe they can build that into the Project Scorpio...

I'd like to see a 3rd party mic that just clicks on to the bottom of the controller with a push button to talk, basically what is part of the headset now but without the headset. I guess I could make my own..

11 minutes ago, Showan said:

i reserved the 500GB model.

Although, it's nice to see that MS stepped the hdd up to a sata III, I just like the idea of my games being on external devices.

Getting a 2nd 4TB drive in the near future that I will use to back up my current 4tb drive and then unplug and put away for safe keeping.

Why? You can just re-download the games if they are digital, or put the disc in and install if they are physical. I'm not sure I follow your thinking.

15 minutes ago, xendrome said:

I'd like to see a 3rd party mic that just clicks on to the bottom of the controller with a push button to talk, basically what is part of the headset now but without the headset. I guess I could make my own..

Why? You can just re-download the games if they are digital, or put the disc in and install if they are physical. I'm not sure I follow your thinking.

Im all digital... but I'd rather not re-download all those games.  

edit: i actually have about 213 full games  (Xbox One & 360) on a 4TB WD External HDD.

a mic adapter that can attach to the controller would be a very cool thing to do.

also could double as chat adapter

1 hour ago, MorganX said:

I personally doubt it. Why do you think that? Dolby Vision is not a standard, the cost for the hardware is significant, and how many gamers will have Dolby Vision? Every TV now supporting 4K UHD has support for HDR10.

Every TV sold "this" year you mean. 

3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Every TV sold "this" year you mean. 

Yes, definitely. Thanks for catching that. 2016 models. There will be a fire sale, if not already, on 2015 4k models that do not support HDR.

1 minute ago, MorganX said:

Yes, definitely. Thanks for catching that. 2016 models. There will be a fire sale, if not already, on 2015 4k models that do not support HDR.

Already is. The deals are amazing. 

Most people will jump in and not know or worry about HDR, just the fact they have a 4k screen will be enough for them.

14 hours ago, MorganX said:

It's a SoC solution. All Vizio and LG TVs will support it and LG supplies a lot of panels for other manufacturers. All studios support it either in cinema (Dolby Cinema) or at home (Sony, Universal, etc). Authoring software for UHD-BD is already out and rumored for the winter releases.

The UHD-BD system is metadata on top of an HDR10 layer so it's backwards compatible with little impact to total bandwidth. Netflix and Amazon and Vudu support it. It's a standard in all but name.

The more and more I hear I want to pick one up, release it in black and they have a sale. Best looking console this gen so far.

Otherwise I'll wait for the Scorpio, white just doesn't flow with anything.

3 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

The more and more I hear I want to pick one up, release it in black and they have a sale. Best looking console this gen so far.

Otherwise I'll wait for the Scorpio, white just doesn't flow with anything.

I think at some point they could do a black, depends on the feedback and how many fans want it, wouldn't surprise me though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, George P said:

I think at some point they could do a black, depends on the feedback and how many fans want it, wouldn't surprise me though.

Here's hoping. I feel making it white was a chance to appeal to a lot of the younger fans who haven't grabbed one yet and those still remembering the xbox heights from the white 360. 

Love everything about mine. Especially the fact the on button is an actual depressible button, unlike the touch controls from the original One. The S controller I also like better, and now my XBox finally matches my PS4.

Better hurry up and get that 2TB edition if you want it, it's really limited, I think we won't see more, or at least not the exact same color after they're sold out.

I bet they'll release a new batch of 2TB S but they could be black again instead of white.

I have a Vizio M65C1 4K TV, supports 4K @ 60hz on one of the inputs, and unfortunately I am experiencing the same blackout video issue I was experiencing with the One way back in the Preview Program that I complained about on these very forums. The ironic thing when I had the issue about 2 years ago, completely different TV and receiver. Yet same issue.

With the current issue I even made a video this past Friday so people could see it I will add below. I have had about 5 different people help me try every possible setting imaginable, I even purchased new HDMI cables. My receiver supports HDCP 2.2 and 4K. There is no doubt at all in my mind it is the Slim itself. I even took some time and found people on the AV forums that also have the same issue. Some of them even have an HDR 4K TV which is really upsetting.

So I traded in my Launch XBox One and my 3DS XL only to own a console I currently cannot use the feature I specifically purchased it for, 4K. Well let me correct that, I can use it, but the video on my TV screen blacks out anywhere from 4 times in 40 seconds, as shown in the video above, to 10 times in 15 seconds like last night.

The only way I do not experience the blackout video issue is if I put the Slim in 1080p. Really hope they fix this in an update like they fixed the same issue I had with the One in the Preview Program over 2 years ago. The worst part about it all is when it does work, it is amazing. I picked up The Revenant Ultra HD Blu-Ray and it was stunning. A pretty damn big difference. However I have to wait until MS hopefully fixes it.

7 hours ago, DirtyLarry said:

I have a Vizio M65C1 4K TV, supports 4K @ 60hz on one of the inputs, and unfortunately I am experiencing the same blackout video issue I was experiencing with the One way back in the Preview Program that I complained about on these very forums. The ironic thing when I had the issue about 2 years ago, completely different TV and receiver. Yet same issue.

With the current issue I even made a video this past Friday so people could see it I will add below. I have had about 5 different people help me try every possible setting imaginable, I even purchased new HDMI cables. My receiver supports HDCP 2.2 and 4K. There is no doubt at all in my mind it is the Slim itself. I even took some time and found people on the AV forums that also have the same issue. Some of them even have an HDR 4K TV which is really upsetting.

So I traded in my Launch XBox One and my 3DS XL only to own a console I currently cannot use the feature I specifically purchased it for, 4K. Well let me correct that, I can use it, but the video on my TV screen blacks out anywhere from 4 times in 40 seconds, as shown in the video above, to 10 times in 15 seconds like last night.

The only way I do not experience the blackout video issue is if I put the Slim in 1080p. Really hope they fix this in an update like they fixed the same issue I had with the One in the Preview Program over 2 years ago. The worst part about it all is when it does work, it is amazing. I picked up The Revenant Ultra HD Blu-Ray and it was stunning. A pretty damn big difference. However I have to wait until MS hopefully fixes it.

Does it drop in and out when directly hooked up to the TV and not through the receiver? I've never heard of Vizio so I'm assuming it's an American brand, was the first TV same brand?

On 8/11/2016 at 5:34 AM, Vandalsquad said:

Does it drop in and out when directly hooked up to the TV and not through the receiver? I've never heard of Vizio so I'm assuming it's an American brand, was the first TV same brand?

Yep, same issue connected directly to the TV. Was one of the first things I tried.
And yeah, Vizio was back in the day not the best of brands, but they have come a long way. One of the main reason I picked it up is after doing extensive research all of the reviews were really solid and this was one of the models CNET last year said was the best 4K TV for the value.
Other TV it happened with 2 years ago was a Sony. An XBR-HX929 to be exact.

Here is where things get interesting as I have threads on a few forums trying to get down to the problem here.
A member on Neogaf who has the same exact TV model said no issue.
Another member said same TV, same issue. On both Neogaf and over at Reddit.
It is also known this specific model of TV has the same issue with the Nvidia Shield outputting 4K.

But here is why I am still not convinced it is the TV itself (even with the well documented issues with the Shield) and not a weird configuration issue somewhere with the One.

1. I use my Roku 4 (4k) with my TV and no issues. So that kind of says it is not a 4K issue with this TV as others report.
  2. Because I did see the same exact issue 2 years ago on completely different components and also know it was eventually fixed with an update from MS, that does mean a lot to me and know it could be something with the One.

Whatever the reason is, it sincerely and truly sucks and I never would have picked up the S itself if I knew it would have even been a possibility. I truly only picked it up for the 4K, I was hoping to simplify my setup (get rid of the Roku 4 for starters) and be able to enjoy everything being upscaled to 4K and also UHD Blu-Rays, and right now I cannot do so. The only way I do not see the issue is putting the S to 1080p.

Just upsetting, and again, it is not like I own some really rare TV Model or anything.
As I typed this out though, I am going to reach out to Vizio themselves and see if I can perhaps get a replacement or something. I am still under Warranty.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:44 PM, Tailwind said:

Anyone with a One S - is the UI any faster at all?  If you don't have a Kinect, does it free up the core for non-speech tasks?

I feel as though it is. Playing back from USB, particularly by Bluray Rip backups is also now stutter free.

Keep in mind, one of the biggest upgrades that isn't mentioned much, the internal HD (and most likely USB 3.0) interface has gone from SATA II to SATA III.

• SATA II 3.0 Gb/s = 0.375 GB/s = 375MB/s
  • SATA III 6.0 Gb/s = 0.75 GB/s= 750 MB/s

The HDD in X1S is only 5400RPM but has a SATA III Interface and 32MB cache. Flash drives may benefit most though.

I feel the UI is snappier and stutter free now, and games load from HDD much quicker. The little tweaks have done wonders for such a minor update.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:17 AM, LostCat said:

Vizio is a US company yeah, but they make good stuff.

Vizio doesn't "make" anything. They shop panels to their specs from generic manufacturers China and customize the UI and add a logo.

On August 6, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Vandalsquad said:

Here's hoping. I feel making it white was a chance to appeal to a lot of the younger fans who haven't grabbed one yet and those still remembering the xbox heights from the white 360. 

Source that it is sata 3?

2 hours ago, PeterTHX said:

Vizio doesn't "make" anything. They shop panels to their specs from generic manufacturers China and customize the UI and add a logo.

That basically describes almost every TV and monitor maker these days.