Question

This is one of those little things that I made for myself and decided to share.  YouTube-DL-PyTK is essentially a simple little program that allows you to download YouTube videos (with the exception of copyrighted material like movies and TV shows).  All the other apps I found were either command line only (youtube-dl) or filled with ads, so I jammed out my own little graphical launcher for youtube-dl.  It's pretty simple and straight forward.  I wrote it in Python and used the EasyGUI library (frontend for TKinter) to draw graphical windows for acquiring the necessary information.  It basically collects things like URL and username/password (optional) and passes it to the Python version of youtube-dl which then downloads the video to your desktop.

There's a compiled installer for 64 bit Windows systems, and a tarball with just the original Python executable for people running Linux or 32 bit versions of Windows (still requires Python).  The compiled installer does include all the original source code along with the binary copies, so if you install it using the .exe file, just browser to C:\Program Files\YouTube-DL-PyTK and you'll find everything you need there including a Changelog, Readme, etc.  If you use the Windows installer you do not need to have Python installed on your system, everything has been compiled so that it should run as a stand alone application on any 64 bit Windows system.

This update is basically a maintenance update.  I've updated the included version of youtube-dl to the 1 August 2016 release and made a minor change to the project's name.

Sourceforge page is: https://sourceforge.net/projects/youtube-dl-gtk/

Edited by Gerowen
  • Like 2

5 answers to this question

Cool.  I actually paid money for the 4k Video Downloader program.  They keep it up to date thankfully because Google changes the code several times a year, probably to prevent being able to download music videos.

2 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

At the time that I originally wrote it I couldn't find anything that didn't have ads or that I really trusted not to slip something else in along with it.  Additionally I was running Linux exclusively and wanted something with a simple GUI for my wife to use on her Linux computers.  Originally the compiled Windows version was an after-thought, but now we both run Windows on our personal machines and only our server runs Linux now.  I also used it as an excuse to improve on my Python skills, and just put it on Sourceforge so that if anybody else wanted to use it they could.  I figure if I wrote it I would know exactly what it was doing, and I made the source code freely available so people could look at it themselves, :-)  I got it to a point where it's pretty straight forward and simple and I just update it every now and then to include newer versions of youtube-dl.  Click an icon, paste a URL, click OK, it sends the video to your desktop.

If you've already got a solution that works for you, more power to you, I just thought I would share this in case anybody was interested, :-)

• Like 1