Windows 10 1607 now picks random applications to install?

So Microsoft thinks it's cool for each new user profile to get an assortment of applications automatically installed in a domain environment? I didn't know they were the approval authority for new software for my organization. I guess everyone needs Netflix to get their work done. Is there a way to kill whatever process is doing this? I'm tired of running scripts to remove this crap only for it to pop back up a few days later or whenever a new user logs in.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Solid Knight said:

So Microsoft thinks it's cool for each new user profile to get an assortment of applications automatically installed in a domain environment? I didn't know they were the approval authority for new software for my organization. I guess everyone needs Netflix to get their work done. Is there a way to kill whatever process is doing this? I'm tired of running scripts to remove this crap only for it to pop back up a few days later or whenever a new user logs in.

It didn't do that for me at all. 

35 minutes ago, Solid Knight said:

They are not random for me, I clean installed Win 10 A.E. (starting to sound like a code word now) on three machines so far and it installs - Netflix, Pandora, Farmville 2, Assphalt (something or another), and Microsoft Solitaire. Funny thing, they aren't included on the disc I made with the media creation tool, my gaming box is offline and only Microsoft Solitaire is currently installed, I also noticed they get put back with the "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176929)" because I removed them before the update had finished and they were back after it was done. I've had nothing come back since then, but it is extremely aggravating for them to be put back as "Background Apps".

However, since it's an online thing maybe you get something different depending on region? Also, will they keep getting put back with every new "Cumulative Update for Windows 10"?

It looks as if the only one of those that actually self installed in my case is Netflix, none of the other items are listed as being installed. The best way around it would be either to use a GPO to disable the store, or use something like Toggle Tweaker to remove it altogether.

Also, I can't speak for classic shell, but Start Is Back allows you to uninstall metro apps that can't be removed on the default start menu.

win10apps.png

I looked to see if Microsoft addressed this in updated ADMX files for GPOs. Turns out they did update their ADMX files for 1511 (which had the same behavior but it was mostly CandyCrush as the post-install downloaded application), so I used Turn off Microsoft Consumer Experience located in Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Cloud Content to disable it. I'll see how effective that is.

A note about the ADMX files for 1511. Microsoft renamed winstoreui.admx and winstoreui.adml to WindowsStore.admx and WindowsStore.adml so you can either ignore the namespace error and live with not being able to see some settings (which I cannot) or deleting winstoreui.admx/adml and renaming windowsstore.admx/adml to winstoreui.admx/adml.

For those not in a domain environment, you can find the same setting in GPEDIT.MSC or you can just set the registry key manually: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows then create a key for CloudContent and add a DWORD key DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures with a value of 1.

On 05/08/2016 at 4:20 PM, Solid Knight said:

I looked to see if Microsoft addressed this in updated ADMX files for GPOs. Turns out they did update their ADMX files for 1511 (which had the same behavior but it was mostly CandyCrush as the post-install downloaded application), so I used Turn off Microsoft Consumer Experience located in Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Cloud Content to disable it. I'll see how effective that is.

A note about the ADMX files for 1511. Microsoft renamed winstoreui.admx and winstoreui.adml to WindowsStore.admx and WindowsStore.adml so you can either ignore the namespace error and live with not being able to see some settings (which I cannot) or deleting winstoreui.admx/adml and renaming windowsstore.admx/adml to winstoreui.admx/adml.

For those not in a domain environment, you can find the same setting in GPEDIT.MSC or you can just set the registry key manually: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows then create a key for CloudContent and add a DWORD key DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures with a value of 1.

Those two Cloud Content entries now only work in Education and Enterprise versions of Windows 10. Home and Pro will ignore the setting. 

It only happens on Home and Pro that's why some people are not affected here, Or they could already have the apps installed.

The solution for us was to set the following as a logon script for all users.

Get-AppxPackage | where-object {$_.name -notlike "*Microsoft.WindowsDVDPlayer*"} | where-object {$_.name -notlike "*Microsoft.VCLibs*"} | where-object {$_.name -notlike "Microsoft.NET.Native*"} | where-object {$_.name -notlike "*Microsoft.WindowsCalculator*"} | Remove-AppxPackage

This removes the Store aswell but you can customise it to keep whatever you want.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2016 at 8:52 AM, Solid Knight said:

yap, the metro crap does that.

On on PC it automatically installed photoshop express without asking or notifying me, on different PC it automatically added netfix, on different PC it automatically installed some Canon printer helper utility, I haven't had a canon printer in over two years.

This Metro crap is getting annoying.

8 minutes ago, UXGaurav said:

Yes Winaero was the first to cover this: Microsoft locks some Group Policy options to Enterprise editions in Windows 10 Anniversary Update They now think automatically installing apps for you is OK even for "Pro" edition users.

So it seems there are really only 2 versions of Windows 10, the "telemetry, data mining and advertising version" and the "subscription version", guess I better dust of my Windows 7 disc.

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

So it seems there are really only 2 versions of Windows 10, the "telemetry, data mining and advertising version" and the "subscription version", guess I better dust of my Windows 7 disc.

Enterprise can be had via subscription but that is not the only way...

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Enterprise can be had via subscription but that is not the only way...

Are we talking legally? I can get it a lot of ways that wouldn't be exactly legal.

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Are we talking legally? I can get it a lot of ways that wouldn't be exactly legal.

Yes legally. I don't pirate software. The subscription model is entirely optional. It is also available via SA and MSDN. 

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Yes legally. I don't pirate software. 

Neither do I, which why I said I was going to dust of my Windows 7 disc. I had only ever heard that the Windows Enterprise versions were available by subscription only, how else may one acquire it?

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Neither do I, which why I said I was going to dust of my Windows 7 disc. I had only ever heard that the Windows Enterprise versions were available by subscription only, how else may one acquire it?

I mentioned them above. Sorry I may have edited before you saw it. Education is also the same as Enterprise for the most part if available. 

On 5-8-2016 at 4:44 PM, DavidM said:

They are not random for me, I clean installed Win 10 A.E. (starting to sound like a code word now) on three machines so far and it installs - Netflix, Pandora, Farmville 2, Assphalt (something or another), and Microsoft Solitaire. Funny thing, they aren't included on the disc I made with the media creation tool, my gaming box is offline and only Microsoft Solitaire is currently installed, I also noticed they get put back with the "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176929)" because I removed them before the update had finished and they were back after it was done. I've had nothing come back since then, but it is extremely aggravating for them to be put back as "Background Apps".

However, since it's an online thing maybe you get something different depending on region? Also, will they keep getting put back with every new "Cumulative Update for Windows 10"?

That's a misconception. These apps "returning" has nothing to do with that (or any other) update. They simply "returned" because they where already in the queue of the Store being updated/installed.

2 hours ago, Studio384 said:

That's a misconception. These apps "returning" has nothing to do with that (or any other) update. They simply "returned" because they where already in the queue of the Store being updated/installed.

I wondered if that was the case, they never came back on another machine, but I waited until the newest update was done. I am willing to bet however, they will return every major update going forward, hell, they may even do it once a month thinking "The users that don't want them can simply remove them!"

22 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I wondered if that was the case, they never came back on another machine, but I waited until the newest update was done. I am willing to bet however, they will return every major update going forward, hell, they may even do it once a month thinking "The users that don't want them can simply remove them!"

Apps that I've removed from Win10 have never been restored on any major update.

5 hours ago, TPreston said:

It only happens on Home and Pro that's why some people are not affected here, Or they could already have the apps installed.

This removes the Store aswell but you can customise it to keep whatever you want.

That will come in very useful. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

Apps that I've removed from Win10 have never been restored on any major update.

Good for you? I don't know what to tell you, I explained what happened... believe it or not? May be I'm unlucky or you are lucky?

Many people aren't affected by the freezing bug that is being discussed here and on Reddit, but it didn't affect my laptop or desktop, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Just now, DavidM said:

May be I'm unlucky

It might be this. As noted, seems the "random installations" is happening if an upgrade is done while a Store app is in the download queue. If it's completely empty (it always has been when I do insider upgrades), I've never had a deleted app return without my consent (i.e. I manually go into the Store and re-download it).

2 minutes ago, Quillz said:

It might be this. As noted, seems the "random installations" is happening if an upgrade is done while a Store app is in the download queue. If it's completely empty (it always has been when I do insider upgrades), I've never had a deleted app return without my consent (i.e. I manually go into the Store and re-download it).

1. Are you using Enterprise Education or Enterprise LTSB
  2. Did you remove the default apps like bing, camera etc

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:13 PM, TPreston said:

I use the following to target specific apps so I don't accidentally cripple anything (requires elevation):

$PackagesToRemove = @(
    "Microsoft.3DBuilder"
    "Microsoft.BingFinance"
    "Microsoft.BingNews"
    "Microsoft.BingSports"
    "Microsoft.BingWeather"
    "Microsoft.Getstarted"
    "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub"
    "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection"
    "Microsoft.People"
    "Microsoft.SkypeApp"
    "microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps"
    "Microsoft.WindowsPhone"
    "Microsoft.XboxApp"
    "Microsoft.ZuneMusic"
    "Microsoft.ZuneVideo"
    "Microsoft.ConnectivityStore"
    "king.com.CandyCrushSodaSaga"
    "9E2F88E3.Twitter"
    "Microsoft.Messaging"
    "4DF9E0F8.Netflix"
    "PandoraMediaInc.29680B314EFC2"
    "D52A8D61.FarmVille2CountryEscape"
    "GAMELOFTSA.Asphalt8Airborne"
    )

#Uninstall from current user and default user
    #This also prevents these packages from being installed on new users
    ForEach ($package in $PackagesToRemove) {
        Write-Progress -Activity $package -PercentComplete ($PackagesToRemove.IndexOf($package)/$PackagesToRemove.Count * 100)
        Get-AppxPackage $package | Remove-AppxPackage
        Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -eq $package} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
    }

You can also use these commands if you're probing around for what to uninstall (just select what you don't want then proceed):

Get-AppxPackage | Out-GridView -PassThru | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Out-GridView -PassThru | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online

Also, I'd edit

Get-AppxPackage | where-object {$_.name -notlike "*Microsoft.WindowsDVDPlayer*"} | where-object {$_.name -notlike "*Microsoft.VCLibs*"} | where-object {$_.name -notlike "Microsoft.NET.Native*"} | where-object {$_.name -notlike "*Microsoft.WindowsCalculator*"} | Remove-AppxPackage

to

Get-AppxPackage | Where-Object { 
	     $_.Name -notmatch 'Microsoft.WindowsDVDPlayer' `
	-and $_.Name -notmatch 'Microsoft.VCLibs' `
	-and $_.Name -notmatch 'Microsoft.NET.Native' `
	-and $_.Name -notmatch 'Microsoft.WindowsCalculator'
} | Remove-AppxPackage

at the least for better readability.

Edited by Solid Knight
  • Like 2