Report: Man of Steel Sequel in development.

George P

Warner Bros. is moving ahead with a follow-up to Man of Steel, Superman’s most recent solo feature, according to The Wrap. The unnamed, undated sequel is entering "active development," suggesting its in the earliest stages of pre-production.

Although Superman’s co-star in March’s Dawn of Justice, Batman, is getting his own stand-alone film, Warner Bros. has yet to formally announce another Superman film. Instead, the studio has shifted focus toward its superhero team-up movies, setting the stage with Wonder Woman on June 2, 2017, before the first Justice League opens on Nov. 17, 2017.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/8/12403882/man-of-steel-sequel-details

Honestly, this doesn't surprise me, who didn't expect another superman solo film?     DC could just keep making solo films for the trinity for the next 10 years and it'd be fine, toss in some flash, aquaman, GL from time to time and fans would be cool with it IMO.

Draconian Guppy

wait so BvS wasn't the sequel?

• Like 1
George P

11 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

wait so BvS wasn't the sequel?

Not for a solo superman movie, no?   It's as much of a sequel as Avengers was to Captain America 1 and Iron Man 2. 

• Like 1
Syanide

DC is single-handedly driving comic-book movies into the ground, so I'm all for this, because maybe once these turds stop making money, they'll try some original ideas again.

• Like 1
+John.
7 minutes ago, Syanide said:

DC is single-handedly driving comic-book movies into the ground, so I'm all for this, because maybe once these turds stop making money, they'll try some original ideas again.

I don't even know why I've still got my fingers crossed for JL and Wonder Woman. Those are the last chances I'll give them.

Andrew
On 09/08/2016 at 10:25 AM, Syanide said:

Speak for DC only. Things are very peachy on the Marvel side :D

• Like 2
Syanide
5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Speak for DC only. Things are very peachy on the Marvel side :D

Well, at least Marvel's movies qualify as actual movies, they try to have actual characters, structure, and story. In the end, even at their best, they're both the McDonalds of cinema: cheap, made for mass consumption, they give the illusion they're tasty, but they're nothing really special, and pretty bad for you in the long run.

It's just that in DC's case, someone spiked the food with laxatives.

+Dick Montage
8 minutes ago, Syanide said:

Well, at least Marvel's movies qualify as actual movies, they try to have actual characters, structure, and story. In the end, even at their best, they're both the McDonalds of cinema: cheap, made for mass consumption, they give the illusion they're tasty, but they're nothing really special, and pretty bad for you in the long run.

Twaddle.  They are what they are, fun escapism for a few hours.  Trying to even put them alongside any independent, thought provoking piece of noir (for example) shows the idiocy of the person even making such a comparison.  Not every film has to be deep, escapism is why we even have cinema, and you can thank the likes of the big blockbusters for creating a massive revenue industry that supports the lesser known or more challenging films.

Syanide
4 minutes ago, Nik Louch said:

Twaddle.  They are what they are, fun escapism for a few hours.  Trying to even put them alongside any independent, thought provoking piece of noir (for example) shows the idiocy of the person even making such a comparison.  Not every film has to be deep, escapism is why we even have cinema, and you can thank the likes of the big blockbusters for creating a massive revenue industry that supports the lesser known or more challenging films.

Tell that to the people voting to have Rotten Tomatoes shut down because they're hurt over the quality of Suicide Squad.

And don't get me wrong, I like me a good, fun comic book movie. The problem with comic book movies is that they have dropped the standards of what constitutes as good to a single factor: have a particular character show up on screen. That's it. This has long lasting bad effects, because not only are studios scared more than ever to try original ideas, they don't even have to try with things like 'story' or 'character development.' Just throw Batman in there and the turd will make its money back.

Also, I'm not arguing the flaws and merits of blockbusters in general, it's been like this for years, and it'll stay like this for years, it's how it works. It's just my impression that the standards have never been lower.

+Dick Montage
8 hours ago, Syanide said:

Tell that to the people voting to have Rotten Tomatoes shut down because they're hurt over the quality of Suicide Squad.

Oh come on, that's just a bunch of f'in knuckleheads, so fanboy over a franchise that they have no objectivity.

8 hours ago, Syanide said:

It's just my impression that the standards have never been lower.

I don't know how old you are but trust me, they really really have.  The crap I sat through in the late 80s and early 90s ;)

George P
17 minutes ago, Nik Louch said:

don't know how old you are but trust me, they really really have.  The crap I sat through in the late 80s and early 90s

I'm with you, there's always very bad movies out there, at any point in film history.   The truth is also that high quality, or otherwise "deep" cinema doesn't sell big and in many cases you end up losing the audience in the process.   Of course this is always subjective but I don't quite care what the critics have to say, a more fancy opinion is still just an opinion, regardless of how sophisticated it's made to sound.    Not everyone will find the same think thought provoking or meaningful and in some cases, in the attempt to go "deep", lots of people just get lost and or find it all boring.    But in many cases those same movies the audience thinks are average are the ones that get higher critic scores and vice versa.   At the end though, this is a business, you go with the audience, and for all the hate Suicide squad gets from critics or those that somehow think themselves to good for popcorn action flicks, the general pubic are still putting themselves in movie theater seats, it keeps breaking records.

And before people bring up the "fanboy" card as the driving factor here, not really, because like I said before in a older post, the same fanboys that say the love and enjoyed SS, agreed with the critics about how bad BvS is, so no, it's not pure blind fanboy love at play.

• Like 1
Andrew
10 hours ago, Syanide said:

I mean, say what you like about the films and their impact on the rest of the industry, but it's not fair to call them "cheap" by any standard. Each film costs anywhere in the region of $200m to $250 million. Higher when adjusted for inflation. But I don't think their budgets should really be a defining factor. Some of the best films in history were made in less than 20 million.

George P
3 hours ago, Andrew said:

I mean, say what you like about the films and their impact on the rest of the industry, but it's not fair to call them "cheap" by any standard. Each film costs anywhere in the region of $200m to $250 million. Higher when adjusted for inflation. But I don't think their budgets should really be a defining factor. Some of the best films in history were made in less than 20 million.

A bigger budget is often the problem with some films, I think it's best when they keep these big name blockbusters around the $150m-$180m range.   Going up over $200m is crazy, and should just not happen, besides at the end of the day that's just the budget to make the film itself, you have to tack on all the marketing money, which could be another $100m depending on how hard they push a film.       Anything that's got a $250m budget plus a big marketing push, say another $100m, would need to make more than $700million to make a profit, revenue sharing with the theaters is at 50%.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...