Pet Peeve with Mac OS?

even my 2.0GHz old comp can do that with shadow effect on (winfx) and still get no lag, but the G5 can't?

It's because drawing graphical elements on the screen is slow. Compositing them is easy. You can drag around windows just fine, but having to redraw the entire window when you resize isn't. Apple was smart as to how they handled it, I believe (they chose to slow down a rarely used part of the UI in exchange for some highly superior visual and usablity enhancements), though I still don't like it...

my MAIN pet peeve is seeing windows programs that i just can't use. i've never had a NEED to use a mac program, but i've had needs to use pc programs that just aren't avaliable on the mac, games too. o and they cost so damn much too.

I'd argue the counter fact. I've seen many programs on the Mac that I wish were on my PC (Spy, SubEthaEdit, SSHTunnelManager, OmniGraffle, iCal, Watson). I've never found any app that *really* makes me wish I had a PC for it, or that I haven't found an equally functional equivalent on the Mac.

the dock is much much bigger than the task bar, unless u unlock ur taskbar and drag it up to half of the screen, keeping it at 1 or even 2 bars is much smaller than the stock dock.

Actually, the Dock at a reasonable size is only about two taskbars high. Not to mention the fact that to get even close to the functionality of what the Dock has in menus, you'd need a variety of folders and junk in the taskbar, which would probably make it two to three times the size if you wanted the items labeled so you could remember which two little arrows were which.

I love the dock, so much more than the taskbar!

greatdock.jpg

IMO, much better functionality than the Taskbar.

Easy access to my most used apps without needing to go to a Start bar, and for those few apps that I can't, I have my Applications folder as a link, so click and hold (or right click) and it's just like going to Start > All Programs.

well since this seems to be more of a pet peeve / rebut others' pet peeves:

i don't ever minimize windows in os x. i hide them. much better than minimizing in my opinion. why didn't you just close the window when you minimized it instead of minimizing it? heh, anyways.

i also find os x's "alt-tab" much better. i like how i can hit command-tab, hold down command and use my mouse to select the app i want instead of hitting tab 100 billion times. not to mention the other features of expose are much more efficient for finding windows.

one of my big pet peeves is finder window sizing. i'd like to be able to get all folders to open in the same sized window with the same sized left hand column when i click on them. right now you have to resize them the first time you directly open that folder.

brushed metal... why? heh

window resizing...

not nearly as long of a list as i could make for windows though, heh.

Only dislike...

- You can not truely maximize any windows.

Yes it may be nice to have the window get resized all that its needed to but i'm weird i'd like to have say safari cover the whole screen to where i dont see parts of my desktop.

I used to think the same thing, but now I like how OS X does it more, hehe

There isnt much I dont like about OS X, bootup time could be a little better, but I rarely reboot and panther isnt that slow anymore compared to older versions of OS X.

This isnt really an OS X thing, but I HATE programs that have fake menu bar items, like Adium does now, they dont function like the real thing, and it just ****es me off. There are hidden APIs that let you make real ones like apples programs, more people need to use them ;)

Well, the hidden APIs only work if the menu items are separate programs, and Adium would need to work on adding it as a Menu Extra, instead of a normal menu item. Of course, the menu bar menu for adium was just added a few weeks ago, so I think we can let them off the hook for it for now :p

I've had my (first) Mac for only a few month, so far the thing that bug me the most is the way "multi" users is handled. Can't log off other users, when it wakes up it doesn't go to the "login window" and I can't shut down from the login window as it is grayed out when a user is logged in.

BTW is there a keyboard shortcut to go to the login window? like "Windows" L on a PC ?

Other than that I love both my PC and Mac equally :)

I find it annoying that things I do most often are hidden in tiny buttons/icons, and often in menus where they could be displayed always. The dock tries to overcome this, but just sitting there in the middle doesn't suit me well.

How in the world is the Windows version more production? They're essentially the EXACT same thing. In fact, you can't drag and drop to the program switcher in Windows, but you can in OSX.

Yes you can. Just wait half a second. It's so that people don't got dragging stuff onto hte taskbar expecting it to end up there.

Didn't you use to use Linux? If you're a big fan of consistency, you must've trashed it right away.

I own three macs today don't I?

I did use it exlusively for years, before going to os x though. My interests were different in those days though - i actually enjoyed compiling software (and reading the code before i did).

I really dislike the Finder.. That's about it I think.

Oh, and all the GUI inconsistencies that evn mentioned.

Definatelty - I'm still not exactly sure what it's for :/.

oh man, where do I start...

-When people mentioned Windows Resizing, I'm not sure what they mean, but for me, I hate that you can't resize from all borders, you can only resize by dragging the lower right corner. Thats just STUPID!

-When you open the Save or Save As window in any application, you can't select existing files to select the file name, you have to type new names. So when I save something like "My Favorites Pictures 02.jpg," I can't select the existing "My Favorites Pictures 01.jpg" and change the 1 to a 2 and save, I have to type "My Favorites Pictures 02.jpg" all over again.

-Pop up windows that locks up the desktop, in OSX its not as bad as OS9, but there are still some pop ups that locks the desktop completely until you press OK or Cancel.

-As mentioned before, Windows won't maximize fully.

-The fact they still allow usage of backslash character in filenames eventhough it's a unix system.

-The network connection window is confusing, the Chooser in OS9 is much better.

-Virtual memory management is still a problem

-The command/apple key on the keyboard, I know it's been there since the beginning of time, but it's confusing since all other OSes use CTRL-Z to undo, not Command-Z.

-there are more, but those are the major peeves... ;)

-Oh forgot this one, its a big one. The single menu bar and Windows focus, say you have an app opened, you accidently clicked on the desktop and the app's menu vanishes, instead you get the Finder. Then you have to click on the App window again to bring the app menu back. When working on OSX and before OS9, I don't know how times I do this in a day.... oops, menu's gone, click, menu is back, rinse and repeat. :angry:

Edited by mayamaniac

-The fact they still allow usage of backslash character in filenames eventhough it's a unix system.

I don't see what's wrong with that - as long as it supports backslashes all the way through (otherwise, it's stupid).

-When you open the Save or Save As window in any application, you can't select existing files to select the file name, you have to type new names. So when I save something like "My Favorites Pictures 02.jpg," I can't select the existing "My Favorites Pictures 01.jpg" and change the 1 to a 2 and save, I have to type "My Favorites Pictures 02.jpg" all over again.
actually you can, just click on the grey file name and it will change the filename box to match that file name.
-Oh forgot this one, its a big one. The single menu bar and Windows focus, say you have an app opened, you accidently clicked on the desktop and the app's menu vanishes, instead you get the Finder. Then you have to click on the App window again to bring the app menu back. When working on OSX and before OS9, I don't know how times I do this in a day.... oops, menu's gone, click, menu is back, rinse and repeat.  :angry:

mouse control difficulties? i don't think i have ever done this...

Can't log off other users, when it wakes up it doesn't go to the "login window" and I can't shut down from the login window as it is grayed out when a user is logged in

In panther you can, you have to type admin password to do that. And to go to login windows when it startup:

Preferences->Users->Login Options: Display Login Window As.... instead of Automatically login as...

BTW my main peeve is that if you have more than user active, and someone just opened iTunes, you can't open it again as new user. It's really annoyin when my brother leave itunes open, and i FSU on my account... :angry:

and a little less one, i can use home and end button the way windows did, to go to the start or the end of a line i'm typing.... weird...

and a little less one, i can use home and end button the way windows did, to go to the start or the end of a line i'm typing.... weird...

You mean you *can't* use them. Try Control+Left Arrow and Control+Right Arrow, respectively. Use Option instead of Control to go to the next/preceeding word.

Mine would be (apart from the already mentioned Brushed Metal, sluggish window resizing and not being able to set a default size for new Finder windows) is what I'm experiencing at this very moment, typing this post--it's freaking slow! The characters appear about 4 times slower than usual. It doesn't happen every time and I have no idea what causes it.

I had forgotten about this one till just now. Open a finder window with some long file names. Put it into list view. Click the + ("maximize") button. Ideally, it is supposed to resize so all the information fits in the window, right? Not with Finder. It resizes to fit vertically, but not horizontally. :angry: If the ends of filenames are cut off, or there are other file details not shown, you either have to resize the columns or scroll to the right to view what you are missing. If it was going to do one or the other, I would MUCH rather it resize horizontally and not vertically, because I can always use the scroll wheel on my mouse to go up or down (and usually have to anyway, if it's a rather long list of files).

That is just F**KING annoying!!!!!!!

I don't see what's wrong with that - as long as it supports backslashes all the way through (otherwise, it's stupid).

That brings up another good point. Inconsistancy between filenames in Finder and filenames in Terminal when they involve non-standard characters. Terminal shows them as a "?", which of course means that you can't type one of these filenames in.

Roadwarrior, I was getting to that. :p The taskbar and the quick launch are intertwined. I don't see many people dragging it outside their taskbar.

I do, but I guess I'm kind of odd like that. I have it on the right hand side of my screen in XP, a'la NeXT(with large icons and always on top selected).

Only dislike...

- You can not truely maximize any windows.

Yes it may be nice to have the window get resized all that its needed to but i'm weird i'd like to have say safari cover the whole screen to where i dont see parts of my desktop.

Yes me votes for this too

And also that Apple is not very contectual menu friendly

and one small thing is the three buttons(is there a name for them?) are on the top left. I am right handed so i feel its more natural to be on the right and becoz i came from Windows. I just hope they have a option for us to change that.

You mean you *can't* use them. Try Control+Left Arrow and Control+Right Arrow, respectively. Use Option instead of Control to go to the next/preceeding word.

Mine would be (apart from the already mentioned Brushed Metal, sluggish window resizing and not being able to set a default size for new Finder windows) is what I'm experiencing at this very moment, typing this post--it's freaking slow! The characters appear about 4 times slower than usual. It doesn't happen every time and I have no idea what causes it.

Yep I meant can't... :blush:

Testing right now, thanks you made my day!!! :woot:

And to go to login windows when it startup:

Preferences->Users->Login Options: Display Login Window As.... instead of Automatically login as...

I meant when it wakes up from sleep or from the screen saver... it goes to a different login box.