Pet Peeve with Mac OS?

My biggest pet peeve is how command-tab switches between programs, not windows.

command ` switches between windows (or whatever that button next to the 1 is)

-The command/apple key on the keyboard, I know it's been there since the beginning of time, but it's confusing since all other OSes use CTRL-Z to undo, not Command-Z.

Hahh it's funny that you say that. I learned most of my photoshop skills on a mac, and work with photoshop for the mac almost everyday, and when I do it on my PC, I often find myself hitting windows key> Z thinking it's command Z to undo something.

And the only thing I dont like about osx is there is no equilivent of windowskey +L for locking the system.(or atleast not that im aware of)

FUSKey will allow you to set a keystroke for locking the screen/going to the login window.

That brings up another good point. Inconsistancy between filenames in Finder and filenames in Terminal when they involve non-standard characters. Terminal shows them as a "?", which of course means that you can't type one of these filenames in.

why type file names in when you have tab-completion? ;)

I am really surprised nobody mentionned the lack of CUT FUNCTION FOR FILES.

Sure, I love doing copy paste on files, but sometimes i'd like to be able to cut and paste them. Someone once explained to me on the forums that doing so would break the "clipboard methaphor" but it did not make much sense, and I'd rather have functionality than being true to a methaphor ;)

Ah another thing I do not like now that someone brought up the dock...

Not being able to close a minimized window from the dock menu.

That annoys me, especially as it's been in betas.

I am really surprised nobody mentionned the lack of CUT FUNCTION FOR FILES.

Sure, I love doing copy paste on files, but sometimes i'd like to be able to cut and paste them. Someone once explained to me on the forums that doing so would break the "clipboard methaphor" but it did not make much sense, and I'd rather have functionality than being true to a methaphor ;)

Ah, yes. This is big and really needs to be added to OS X.

iPhoto 4 is sweet, I no longer have to complain about the speed, it is perfect :p

Ah, yes. This is big and really needs to be added to OS X.

iPhoto 4 is sweet, I no longer have to complain about the speed, it is perfect :p

Indeed. Seriously, spring loaded folders are how I manage but being a unix geek, the less I use the mouse, the better I am ;)

why type file names in when you have tab-completion? ;)

It's still annoying when you have a large series of files with similar names. Either way, it's a major inconsistency. Besides, I haven't tried it, but I doubt that even tab-completion would work in the case of filenames that have what Terminal sees as invalid characters.

1) Lack of a true maximise window feature

2) Lack of 'cut' function for files

3) The dock: waste of space by default, 'scrubbing' to find the right document among many, over/under issues with open appz, lack of text labels

4) Expose needs a timeout setting for corner activation

5) Alt-tabbing

6) Mouse slowness

7) Window resizes

8) Finder wastes way too much space (Especially the 'grid' layout which for some reason Apple has never done a good job with)

9) Trash mounted on the Dock

10) Doesn't run on hardware that conforms to open standards (x86)

Besides, I haven't tried it, but I doubt that even tab-completion would work in the case of filenames that have what Terminal sees as invalid characters.

it works, i have tried it. the characters are right, the coding just doesn't support them

for example i have the file: A??g??tis Byrjun

i hit A and tab and this shows up: A\314\201g\303\246tis\ Byrjun/

\XXX being how you can enter in any character i suppose.

10) Doesn't run on hardware that conforms to open standards (x86)

:ninja: no.

i don't really have any peeves with osx.

i'm not a big gamer, so the lack of games doesn't bother me.

screen real estate is used fine at 1024x768.

the only problem with it is that it is slow, but what can you expect when i use it on 5 year old hardware? i have played with jaguar on the g5's at the apple store nearby... it sure is quick *whew*

"This program has completed an illegal opperation and will now close."

Happens on a PC too, I just find it ****ing me off more on my Mac at school. Much easier to blame the fact that it's a Mac that than the real problem too. :p

While not necessarily a standard, x86 is and open design base.

So is PPC. In fact there are more companies making powerpc processors than there are making x86.

Maybe that original quote should have been "It doesn't run on whatever hardware I have (because I don't own a mac)."

So is PPC. In fact there are more companies making powerpc processors than there are making x86.

Maybe that original quote should have been "It doesn't run on whatever hardware I have (because I don't own a mac)."

Sorry - I wasn't aware you could buy a PPC chip on its own. :rolleyes:

I pretty much agree with most people here on the peeves, especially the no cutting file feature. On a big screen this really isnt an issue, but it is to me on a small screen when I am always apple+tabbing everything.

Another HUGE one I have is the break itunes puts between cd tracks after ripping. After all the times and builds, you would think that this would not be an issue anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry - I wasn't aware you could buy a PPC chip on its own. :rolleyes:

You can. Smalldog.com and macsales.com are the first places that comes to mind if you want to order one now. I know PowerLogix, XLR8, and Sonnette technologies all have PowerPC processor "upgrade" units you can toss into your powermac. There are probably more.

Example: http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm...tem=STISG48002M

PowerPC chips are typically used in higher-end hardware: a macintosh is at the low-end (price wise) of that spectrum. You don't see many of the higher-end powerpc chips for sale because they'd typically be bought through the vendor. If you want to upgrade your RS6000 you wouldn't head over to CompUSA, you'd call up IBM and have them send someone down.

I'd like to correct my original statement that more people make PowerPC chips than x86: I can't prove that. I can think of two companies that make PPC chips (motorolla and IBM) which is roughly on par with the number of x86 companies left (AMD, Intel).

* The more you know!

OT Pet Peeve #11

Apple can not come to terms with the fact that they are a software company.

hmm, i would have to agree with evn show on this one.

how the hell are they a software company if they make almost no money from their software?

also, wouldn't an "open standard" mean that anyone has access to it? if this is the case, can i go online and download a complete diagram on how to build an intel or amd processor? wouldn't that also mean that intel and amd chips would be exactly the same?

well i have one big pet peeve with osx:

damn thing has made me hate all other operating systems. now my $1400 windows box sits silent in the corner. makes me feel like i wasted $1400 ( i guess now i kind of realize i did ). i wish i had an extra mac to replace my linux box. i guess in a couple of years, my tibook will be sitting at home all the time running as a ghetto server like my linux box is now and i will be on my new g5 powerbook ;P.

If you don't believe that Apple is a software company ask yourself one question. Would you buy their hardware without their software on it? Which would you prefer, a G5 running Windows or a P4 running OS X?

Per #10, (and above) Apple killed off the clones because it was too much competition for Apple in such a small, limited market. If OS X ran on x86 hardware I highly doubt this would be a problem. What I consider standard, open hardware are those that I can go down to a local shop and have the ability to choose from several manufacturers that produce to the same hardware standards.

If you don't believe that Apple is a software company ask yourself one question. Would you buy their hardware without their software on it? Which would you prefer, a G5 running Windows or a P4 running OS X?

Per #10, (and above) Apple killed off the clones because it was too much competition for Apple in such a small, limited market. If OS X ran on x86 hardware I highly doubt this would be a problem. What I consider standard, open hardware are those that I can go down to a local shop and have the ability to choose from several manufacturers that produce to the same hardware standards.

It's not a standard then, just a larger market that you are after.