Hi guys, I have a problem and I would appreciate help. I have old win2008 server with AD on it. To this server is connected iSCSI drive(running on old NAS server), on this iSCSI drive, AD server save all it's userdata, profiles, shares, homefolders etc.

I've created a new AD server win2012 on virtual VMware and also new iSCSI drive (running on new NAS server). I need to copy all the domain users data(about 20k users, university) from old iSCSI to the new iSCSI drive and then map it for new AD server.

My question is, what do I use for migration of these files/folders?

Hope that make sense. Thank you for any reply!

you should never have user data on your ad server esp when you can visualize a dc and a file server. 

Each server should be dedicated so that when you do move things around you aren't moving everything around.

robocopy would be great for migrating/copying data files from one server to another.

I also strongly recommend as above with sc302 that you have a separate DC/File Server.

So create a new file server VM & move all of the users over with Robocopy (It's really well documented so definitely read some Technet information about Robocopy).

Also I'm sure you know this & you've done it but it's not clear in your post & just for others reference. To move the users over, just join the new AD server to the domain as a global catalogue & then demote the old one. Make sure you check where your operations masters etc are sitting.

14 hours ago, Vince800 said:

I also strongly recommend as above with sc302 that you have a separate DC/File Server.

So create a new file server VM & move all of the users over with Robocopy (It's really well documented so definitely read some Technet information about Robocopy).

Also I'm sure you know this & you've done it but it's not clear in your post & just for others reference. To move the users over, just join the new AD server to the domain as a global catalogue & then demote the old one. Make sure you check where your operations masters etc are sitting.

What about things like group policy? Will they move to the new server?

Reviewing my post I've noticed that I never mentioned to promote it to a DC. You need to add what will be your new DC to your domain, promote it to a domain controller as a global catalogue, then you'll have the 2 DCs.

Yes it should all replicate across but as always verify it by checking the event logs. Also if you open DSA & GPMC, you can connect to a specific domain controllers to verify that everything is in tact.

Do you only have the one DC currently?

15 hours ago, sc302 said:

you should never have user data on your ad server esp when you can visualize a dc and a file server. 

Each server should be dedicated so that when you do move things around you aren't moving everything around.

robocopy would be great for migrating/copying data files from one server to another.

Well technicaly user data are on iSCSI drive which is located on NAS server, not directly on AD server, but this iSCSI drive is mounted to this AD server. I'm not sure, if you took this in mind. Thank You guys for all your replies, it's helpfull. I decide for ROBOCOPY, only thing what bothers me is, that ROBOCOPY doesn't have any status or progress bar when working with such a big data migrations, but it's running now and hopefully I set everything just right :). Thanks again

Well no it doesn't have a status bar. It does have logging if you enable it and can monitor that way. It shouldn't matter if it takes 5 seconds or 5 hrs as long as the data is migrated properly. 

You ou are going from old iscsi drive to new, so no we don't take into consideration iscsi because there are many without the ability to copy Lun to lun

11 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Well no it doesn't have a status bar. It does have logging if you enable it and can monitor that way. It shouldn't matter if it takes 5 seconds or 5 hrs as long as the data is migrated properly. 

You ou are going from old iscsi drive to new, so no we don't take into consideration iscsi because there are many without the ability to copy Lun to lun

We just found ROBOCOP ROBOCOPY, it's seems like GUI for ROBOCOPY with progress bar and more info, since we can't open logging file during data transfer, this GUI version seems like a nice tool for this matter. Any suggestions, experience with this ROBOCOP ROBOCOPY?

Link for it is here .

I don't but robocopy works beautifully if you know how to use it. 

You can get an idea of where you are at by going into properties of the data store and seeing how much used data is there as well as how many files. You don't really need a progress bar. 

29 minutes ago, sc302 said:

I don't but robocopy works beautifully if you know how to use it. 

You can get an idea of where you are at by going into properties of the data store and seeing how much used data is there as well as how many files. You don't really need a progress bar. 

Well, yes of course you're right, but when you're moving more then 2TB data what includes more then 3 mil. files and folders, it's quite hard to check where are you at right now. Last time(what I heard) it took about 5 days to copy everything :D. So I guess some progress bar would be nice.

Do this 

robocopy source target /e /mt:10 /log:%userprofile%\desktop\copy.log

let me know how long it takes.   If you have the processing power change 10 to 20, but 10 should max out your nic bandwidth and keep it pegged between 90 and 100%. 

go back in a few hours and check to see how far it has progressed. 

It it will take forever on 100 mb. Gig would be minimum. 10g would be nice. But the nics, the switches, and iscsi backbone would have to support the speed. You will only be as fast as your slowest component. 

7 minutes ago, Madvih said:

Well, yes of course you're right, but when you're moving more then 2TB data what includes more then 3 mil. files and folders, it's quite hard to check where are you at right now. Last time(what I heard) it took about 5 days to copy everything :D. So I guess some progress bar would be nice.

You could also right click on the drive and select properties then see how full the drive is. Unless that won't work since it ISCSI

So, that ROBOCOP ROBOCOPY GUI, start validating files and freezes at 14% of validation, so I don't recommend to use it, we just started classic ROBOCOPY and it's running fine for now, already about 60GB transefer. :)

robocopy will also do a comparison, if the file exists it will not copy...if the file exists but the source is newer it will copy.  this is a normal function of robocopy.

3 hours ago, sc302 said:

robocopy will also do a comparison, if the file exists it will not copy...if the file exists but the source is newer it will copy.  this is a normal function of robocopy.

Thanks for all the help and explanation, it was helpfull.

Hi again, so the files are finaly copied, it's looking good. What I wanna do next, is to run it again and copy all the files, what has been skipped or unable to copy in that time, is there any simple command? I'm not sure, if I run robocopy again, that it will start copying all the files and replace the old ones. What I'm looking for, is just some "CHECK run" and copy only these, what hasn't been copied. I search the web about this, but to be sure I want ask the experts for it! :)

I checked the log file, but they don't use ENG systems here so I was unable to read the log. But it has 558771 files (by the log) failed to copy. If I run it again, it will skip the files already copied and focus only on the "not copied" ones? Sorry I'm noob in this, but I very appreciate your help and quick replies even in sunday!

On 11/08/2016 at 5:25 PM, Madvih said:

Hi guys, I have a problem and I would appreciate help. I have old win2008 server with AD on it. To this server is connected iSCSI drive(running on old NAS server), on this iSCSI drive, AD server save all it's userdata, profiles, shares, homefolders etc.

I've created a new AD server win2012 on virtual VMware and also new iSCSI drive (running on new NAS server). I need to copy all the domain users data(about 20k users, university) from old iSCSI to the new iSCSI drive and then map it for new AD server.

My question is, what do I use for migration of these files/folders?

Hope that make sense. Thank you for any reply!

if you have the space, you could technically build a new Vdisk, robocopy the files over (make sure you keep the same drive letters) then simply extract LANmgr Registry key and import it into new DC, this retains all shares and (robocopy will sort the perms) just make sure the drive letter matches on each imported V-disk. if the Vserver breaks or gets retired, you just drop the assignment of the Vdisks in esxi to that affected server, and reattach to another.....rinse and repeat.

Thats how I managed to migrate our old LUN assigned SANs from a phys blade server/SAN setup to new Vmware file server, hosted in the new ESXi 5.5 hosts, sooo much quicker and issue free. I sat and scratched my head for a while over this :p

I just told V-ranger post migration (or Veem whatevers your fav) to not backup disks 2 and 3 of the server, they are backed up in a traditional sense via Arcserve (i know but my boss head is up his **** and the 90s) 

Edited by Mando

5 hours ago, Madvih said:

Thank you sir! Have a great day, I learned a lot from you!

aye, SC302 knows his onions for sure :) 

13 hours ago, Mando said:

if you have the space, you could technically build a new Vdisk, robocopy the files over (make sure you keep the same drive letters) then simply extract LANmgr Registry key and import it into new DC, this retains all shares and (robocopy will sort the perms) just make sure the drive letter matches on each imported V-disk. if the Vserver breaks or gets retired, you just drop the assignment of the Vdisks in esxi to that affected server, and reattach to another.....rinse and repeat.

Thats how I managed to migrate our old LUN assigned SANs from a phys blade server/SAN setup to new Vmware file server, hosted in the new ESXi 5.5 hosts, sooo much quicker and issue free. I sat and scratched my head for a while over this :p

I just told V-ranger post migration (or Veem whatevers your fav) to not backup disks 2 and 3 of the server, they are backed up in a traditional sense via Arcserve (i know but my boss head is up his **** and the 90s) 

15 hours ago, Mando said:

Nice, thank you for sharing this option! :)

Your mind is young and you're getting wiser! :D Keep it up!