Mars - Fixed Altered Image

I'm sure everyone has heard about the altered color in the images Nasa gave out, so I attempted to restore it as best as possible. (original image had nearly all blue removed from it)

So, if mars had a blue sky...

fixlow.jpg

And here's the original

origlow.jpg

I know the sundial in the fixed image still doesn't show the blue as it should, but there's no real way to accurately reproduce the other colors without knowing them, hopefully this is somewhat closer to reality +/- the blue sky (Hey, who knows, maybe it does have a blue 'tint' :laugh: )

(And yes, I know this probably is no where near accurate, but it still looks cool)

Edit:

Here is the ORIGINAL Nasa Press release photo and the sundial photo which are proof that these images have been altered in color - no I'm not saying the sky is blue, all I'm saying is that the images have been significantly altered.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...8a/PIA05015.jpg

Here's the sundial (Picture taken by the same camera on mars):

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...8a/PIA05018.jpg

Edited by SaguratuS

:o In 1976 the first USA Mars lander showed, at first, a Martian landscape with an Earth-like blue sky !

After a few minutes when the picture was 'lost' due to 'technical difficulties', the Mars sky became pink. :huh:

True story -- NASA hoaxing or not ? You decide.

post-7-1073710550.jpg

After looking at that the original does look altered. Even the Mars lander looks like its redder than it should be. Might be interesting to find some original pictures of it and do some comparisons. I am a conspiracy theorist but I've never given the thought of NASA faking this stuff much credence. But after looking at those pics I admit I'm kind of wondering. It not only looks altered, it looks like a real amatuerish job.

First of all, I personally don't think the SKY is red, just the air, much in the same way smog makes the sky look brown to us. Because the planet is comprised (supposedly) of dirt, sand, gases, etc. there's no reason why the air wouldn't appear red. Here on Earth, as far as I know, the only time I've even ever seen the sky as clear and as blue as that is after a good rain and the air is "clean". Unless it's raining on Mars, I doubt it's that clear.

Secondly, why would they alter it anyway? Just to give it that "martian" effect?

well, the NASA one does appear very red, however why would they alter the color? doesn't make much sense to me.

although we all know how they never reached the moon, why wouldn't they fake a martian sky :p

j/k

:o In 1976 the first USA Mars lander showed, at first, a Martian landscape with an Earth-like blue sky !

After a few minutes when the picture was 'lost' due to 'technical difficulties', the Mars sky became pink. :huh:

True story -- NASA hoaxing or not ? You decide.

Why would they make a hoax of the Mars landings/pictures? Or the moon, for that matter. Other countries are going to the moon now, and Mars. The most recent European Mars lander malfunctioned, but eventually, they will get there too. Once these other craft start producing pictures and taking back samples, NASA and the US would be a laughing stock, not to mention every major country, and its own citizens, would never trust the US government ever again. Because of that, it is very, very unlikely anything has been hoaxed... our government makes mistakes, yes, sometimes catostrophic ones, but seriously, our government isn't actually stupid, especially not that stupid.

what's the round thing left to that pipe-like thing and why does it seem out of place right along that line that goes vertically through te pic?

That's because that image is actually a stich of a whole heap of smaller pictures. That particular one just didn't line up quite properly.

what's the round thing left to that pipe-like thing and why does it seem out of place right along that line that goes vertically through te pic?

It is split where those two photo frames join. I imagine it does not line up because of perspective. The object is much closer to the camera.

:laugh: CrimsonBlur: "Why would they make a hoax of the Mars landings/pictures?"

Only reasons I can see is in the event of a failure to land the real thing, and resulting NASA budget cuts. And possible USA embarassment ?

An extreme reason would be NASA found actual intelligent beings living on Mars and to hide the fact, then hoaxed a primative empty landscape. But that could never happen ... :shifty:

post-7-1073737691.jpg

The Martian Atmosphere is composed of Iron Oxide, since there is not nearly enough water or Oxygen (There is in SOME small quantity), the sky cannot possibly be blue.

Equally, for the sky to be completely a dark shade of red as is shown in the photos, it would have to have enormous quantties of Iron in the ground, and since we know that there are some very feroucious storms and winds on Mars; this seems plausible.

I think the Martian sky is NOT blue, and is not red - rather, it is tinted; after all, there is no atmosphere on the planet to give it a "proper" sky as we know it.

As far as the faked Nasa shots go - utter tripe.

:no:

no, that is wrong on so many levels.

hey, is anyone else curious to this story which i heard from the taxi driver on the way home this morning from a party...

apparently about 2 years ago, NASA had a massive publicity drive, to recruit 10 people for a manned mission to Mars - it was 10 people from the general public, aswell as 5 US trained Astro doods.

the 10 commoners would be selected after rigorous screening and trained to be NASA pilots and scientists etc - but the story died after about 3 months of it being in the news.

and now with all this mars stuff happening (all of a sudden?); the manned mission has come back to the fore of the discussions.

curious, eh?

:rolleyes: Mars does have SOME atmosphere, or there could not be winds blowing dust around. I've read that most of the atmosphere was ripped away by a close passing asteroid long ago.

Maybe the answer to sky color is that it is somewhat blue on calm days, and after dust storms kick up, the fine iron-oxide particules tint the sky pink.

I think it would be cool if we could transfer some of Earth's excess water to Mars, but that's probably not very practical. Would be great to restore Mars to a better atmosphere.

Curious thing about some of the Mars pics: If they have dust storms, what are those smooth round patches in the photos ? I'd think the winds would wipe them out. :huh:

:laugh: CrimsonBlur: "Why would they make a hoax of the Mars landings/pictures?"

Only reasons I can see is in the event of a failure to land the real thing, and resulting NASA budget cuts. And possible USA embarassment ?

An extreme reason would be NASA found actual intelligent beings living on Mars and to hide the fact, then hoaxed a primative empty landscape. But that could never happen ... :shifty:

lol, nice pic :)

:rolleyes: Mars does have SOME atmosphere, or there could not be winds blowing dust around. I've read that most of the atmosphere was ripped away by a close passing asteroid long ago.

Maybe the answer to sky color is that it is somewhat blue on calm days, and after dust storms kick up, the fine iron-oxide particules tint the sky pink.

I think it would be cool if we could transfer some of Earth's excess water to Mars, but that's probably not very practical. Would be great to restore Mars to a better atmosphere.

Curious thing about some of the Mars pics: If the have dust storms, what are those smooth round patches in the photos ? I'd think the winds would wipe them out. :huh:

Yup - I think it's mostly Carbon Monoxide (I think).