Can the politics forum be hidden from guests or even better removed?

That topic started it all. While I don't post in the politics forums I find it really sad that it one of the most active forum for this board and this board is suppose to be a tech board. There are some comments in there about how staff shouldn't be allowed to post in the politics forums and also people have been caught off guards in thinking that guests can't view that section.

With the politics section gone I believe that this forum would be a much better place without all the toxic that politics brings. What your take on this?

I do not think it can be hidden ... nor can I comment about removing it altogether.  

However, I believe it will be much better after November 8 when either Trump or Clinton are elected.  Unfortunately, this Presidential election year has probably brought forth the two most controversial politicians leading their respective parties...so the activity in the politics section is high.  Anyway, I think that after the election is over it will slow down and go back to obscurity.

5 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

I do not think it can be hidden ... nor can I comment about removing it altogether.  

However, I believe it will be much better after November 8 when either Trump or Clinton are elected.  Unfortunately, this Presidential election year has probably brought forth the two most controversial politicians leading their respective parties...so the activity in the politics section is high.  Anyway, I think that after the election is over it will slow down and go back to obscurity.

Well the Members' Metropolis forum is hidden from guests (I just checked) so it can be done from a technical view.

Unfortunately the politics forum is nothing more than a mirror of what's happening in the media and life right now. Polarising opinions by different groups forced to pick between two crappy choices.

It's like picking the best turd.

40 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

With the politics section gone I believe that this forum would be a much better place without all the toxic that politics brings. What your take on this?

So, because you don't like something, no one else is allowed to discuss it? Riiiight... :rolleyes:

42 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

I think they'd have to remove much more than just the politics section to get rid of toxicity.

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

So, because you don't like something, no one else is allowed to discuss it? Riiiight... :rolleyes:

It not about that, read the topic that I have linked to and you will see where it all started from. At lease one member has been caught off guards thinking that guests couldn't view that section.

Just now, Danielx64 said:

It not about that, read the topic that I have linked to and you will see where it all started from. At lease one member has been caught off guards thinking that guests couldn't view that section.

That thread isn't in the Politics section, it's in the conspiracy theory section.

1 minute ago, Raphaël G. said:

I think they'd have to remove much more than just the politics section to get rid of toxicity.

Getting rid of politics would be a good start but yes you have a valid point.

That thread isn't in the Politics section, it's in the conspiracy theory section.

Makes no different.

Hidden by guests isn't a bad idea. I do think one main Thread for Trump, one main thread for Clinton and one for 3rd paryt should be in place with the rate at which new topics are started now. Most of these topics end up already diverging way off topic of the original story and just end up as a Trump / Clinton bashing. 

10 minutes ago, wv@gt said:

Hidden by guests isn't a bad idea. I do think one main Thread for Trump, one main thread for Clinton and one for 3rd paryt should be in place with the rate at which new topics are started now. Most of these topics end up already diverging way off topic of the original story and just end up as a Trump / Clinton bashing. 

So in the Tech section we can have one thread for Windows, one for Linux, One for Macs...etc . that would be a mess as having one thread for each candidate would be, it would have hundreds of pages and there are more topics about each candidate , it just would not work. Maybe have each member have a choice in their CP whether to see RWI or not to. A users choice.

29 minutes ago, wv@gt said:

That idea was suggested back in the 2008 election, but it would not solve the issue. For example, where do you place news items or topics which discuss both candidates? Seperating the news items also does not stop conflicting opinions. You can create sub-forums upon sub-forums and official topics but it won't stop people seeking out an argument online or posting flame bait. All you've done is moved the problem.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Crisp said:

And unhide the babe thread.

You've got your priorities straight. :laugh: 

3 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

He wants it hidden from guests, which it should already be because it's not tech related.

It's a simple change that any admin or supervisor can do without much fuss.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LimeMaster said:

He wants it hidden from guests, which it should be already because it's not tech related.

It's a simple change that any admin or supervisor can do without much fuss.

If you're going to hide non-tech related forums from guests, then you should hide ALL non-tech related forums from them to be fair, and then guests will think Neowin is dead.

Where do you draw a line?

• Like 3

Just now, FloatingFatMan said:

If you're going to hide non-tech related forums from guests, then you should hide ALL non-tech related forums from them to be fair, and then guests will think Neowin is dead.

RWI should be hidden.

7 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

The main non-tech related sections are already hidden. There isn't really a line to be drawn as far as I can see.

The discussions in those sections won't change because guests can't view them.

10 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

RWI should be hidden.

Why?

4 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

The main non-tech related sections are already hidden. There isn't really a line to be drawn as far as I can see.

The discussions in those sections won't change because guests can't view them.

No, but guests may become members if they see topics of interest.

3 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

Can I ask what you think guests not being able to see it would actually do or to explain what you mean by being caught off gaurd? I'm not trying to catch you out, just trying to understand the problem?

Why?

Quests do not need to see this, I may be wrong but at one time I think it was hidden from guests. In some forums to see anything you have to join first.

Just now, Gary7 said:

Quests do not need to see this, I may be wrong but at one time I think it was hidden from guests.

By that logic, guests don't need to see ANY of the forum, doing so just stifles new membership...   IMO, the only areas that should be hidden, are the extra areas included with a subscription.

I can see where Daniel is coming from and after a short stint commenting, Ive taken the decision myself, to just not go there in future :), I've returned to under my rock in Hardware hangout, heck ive forged some pretty good friendships on neowin with a few members that have debated with me in there in an adult and respectful way lately.

Cept Gary ofc, he smells :p lol i jest mate ;)