Can the politics forum be hidden from guests or even better removed?

3 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Then Neowin would loose many members and subscriptions and money. They are in this to make money. Just look at the usage in RWI. Then if you can remember back 8 or so years you will see the drop in membership. Not caused by RWI.

Then Neowin should rebrand themselves or kick the people to the curb who are ruining this site more and more the past few years or more.  RWN section is ruining this site.  There was even recently a few weeks back where a member posted a derogatory/racist term (twice) in RWN.  Really sucks where this site is going.

And there are many other tech only sites that can do well and not have the BS this site does.

• Like 2

Realistically, the only reason the politics threads get out of hand, is because a few usual suspects go into threads that share different views. They disagree and start a back and forth. If users would just keep their nose out of threads, they know they will not agree with and not act rationally when speaking with other members, be the bigger man and just dont click the thread. It is really that simple. Don't think you'll like the subject? Dont visit. How hard is that? See something that is stirring the pot? Report it, rather than start a huge back and forth.

Just now, techbeck said:

Then Neowin should rebrand themselves or kick the people to the curb who are ruining this site more and more the past few years or more.  RWN section is ruining this site.

And there are many other tech only sites that can do well and not have the BS this site does.

Then go there and post. It is RWI that is the problem. It should not be seen in the mini spy, on the front page and members should have a choice to see it or not to. The membership in most forums have dropped due to the rise of Social Media. I was a member of a Graphics Forum that has 100,000 users and it is now gone.

3 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Realistically, the only reason the politics threads get out of hand, is because a few usual suspects go into threads that share different views. They disagree and start a back and forth. If users would just keep their nose out of threads, they know they will not agree with and not act rationally when speaking with other members, be the bigger man and just dont click the thread. It is really that simple. Don't think you'll like the subject? Dont visit. How hard is that? See something that is stirring the pot? Report it, rather than start a huge back and forth.

It is called debating. If there were no debating there would be no reason to have RWI.

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

It is called debating. If there were no debating there would be no reason to have RWI.

You and I have very different opinions on what debating is. Take a look at many of the threads in that forum, that isn't debating, its childish name calling. Posting memes and constantly berating the opposing party is not debating. I feel RWI has no place on a tech site, I don't care if it brings in money for Neowin or if it were removed, subs leaving. Get back to what made Neowin great, which was technology.

• Like 2

You and I have very different opinions on what debating is. Take a look at many of the threads in that forum, that isn't debating, its childish name calling. Posting memes and constantly berating the opposing party is not debating. I feel RWI has no place on a tech site, I don't care if it brings in money for Neowin or if it were removed, subs leaving. Get back to what made Neowin great, which was technology.

This also happens in the Tech center. Case in Point Chris. I won't go any further into that subject as you know what I am talking about. But even in other areas of the tech section things get out of hand. But after all is said and done, I can do without it. You do have a valid point. I still think of you and Nick as women due to your avatars..:laugh:

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

(Y)

Reason why I am not a sub anymore is the direction the site is going.  I was a sub or a few years and am more than happy to contribute to this site.  But I am not going to pay to post my opinion and be insulted and attacked for it.  Before, it was concerning tech sites and now it is RW section.  If RWN is removed, then people will go back to attacking others for what kind of tech they like.  More and more "kids" and immature people get online these days.  So something needs to happen to weed out and get rid of certain people.

I have been coming here for over 10 years and RWI has always been here. It was handled better in the past, like quests could not see it, was not on the front page and so on.

Just a thought...maybe the technologies coming from companies are just not as exciting anymore for many people? Thus the reason for less traffic in sections that use to be thriving. Personally, I had more fun here during the Windows XP days, with the awesome themes coming from the community. That has slowed drastically with every iteration of Windows, as Microsoft now offers the user less choice . The epic hardware battles between Nvidia/ATI, and Intel/AMD. Additionally, I don't remember Neowin being "the place" for hardware enthusiasts. Times have changed, and that can be reflected in certain sections of a website. But maybe I'm wrong, as a member over at Overclock.net, hardware forums are still hustling and bustling.

8 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

Just a thought...maybe the technologies coming from companies are just not as exciting anymore for many people? Thus the reason for less traffic in sections that use to be thriving. Personally, I had more fun here during the Windows XP days, with the awesome themes coming from the community. That has slowed drastically with every iteration of Windows, as Microsoft now offers the user less choice . The epic hardware battles between Nvidia/ATI, and Intel/AMD. Additionally, I don't remember Neowin being "the place" for hardware enthusiasts. Times have changed, and that can be reflected in certain sections of a website. But maybe I'm wrong, as a member over at Overclock.net, hardware forums are still hustling and bustling.

Maybe....but the site has problems.  Between more immature members joining dwarfing the members who actually have something to contribute and then the quality of the news articles written (by some, not all)...things just dont look good. 

It is quantity over quality rather than quality over quantity.

17 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

as Microsoft now offers the user less choice

Yea, less choice... its not like we had to patch uxtheme.dll or anything like that. :rolleyes: 

You're right though, themes were a huge part of neowin and I want to say that brought many people here. Deviantart wasn't as big with theme distribution at the time. I remember neowin mostly being XP theme modding and overclocking.

9 minutes ago, techbeck said:

It is quantity over quality rather than quality over quantity.

(Y)

36 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I agree, and that is why I stay out. I have some strong political views, however, I have enough problems with my opinions in the Windows 10/Windows Phone articles, I'd rather not add to the stress.:) Now, if personal attacks/racism were removed, I'd definitely be active in that section.

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

Yea, less choice... its not like we had to patch uxtheme.dll or anything like that. :rolleyes:

(Y)

I actually miss those days.  People posting themes and members being more  helpful and sharing ideas. 

11 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

This and the fact that many users are not just users any more but are becoming more technology acclimated and know more about PC's than 12 years ago or so.

Thanks for the memories. I forgot about that.

6 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

I agree, and that is why I stay out. I have some strong political views, however, I have enough problems with my opinions in the Windows 10/Windows Phone articles, I'd rather not add to the stress.:) Now, if personal attacks/racism were removed, I'd definitely be active in that section.

Same here, I dont have a strong opinion for either candidate, however I stay out of the threads because its usually bickering and nonsense. I visit a trump thread and its negative this and that about him, clinton is better. Go into a clinton thread and its the same.

6 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I actually miss those days.  People posting themes and members being more  helpful and sharing ideas. 

Yea, I too, like JH was around during those times and XP themes were a huge deal. Patching UXTheme each new service pack, that was fun.

4 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

Thanks for the memories. I forgot about that.

I edited my reply because it came off incorrectly, however, your post made me use the wayback machine and re-visit neowin. I still remember using the MCE theme because it was so much "better" than Luna, haha! I think my favorite XP theme of all time was watercolor, but I also like chaninja because of the entire suite.

5 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I think part of that is the new generation, and even the older generation, feel they are know-it-alls. They grew up with technology from birth and feel because they own a smart phone and use google, they know everything. They come across as arrogant and seem to bicker much more than others. If they dont get their way, its lets blame the other guy or derail the thread.

7 minutes ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

If you don't like it then don't read it. Case closed.

Why should I be limited on what I view and have to weed through a bunch of crap in order to find good posts?  You have threads that are 6 pages long and most of the posts are of a few members arguing back and forth about stupid things.   A lot of the of the problem people are the same offenders over and over again.   I hate to see how many reports the MODs get on a daily basis.

I really would have no problem with the RWN section if things were under control.

7 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Why should I be limited on what I view and have to weed through a bunch of crap in order to find good posts?  You have threads that are 6 pages long and most of the posts are of a few members arguing back and forth about stupid things.   A lot of the of the problem people are the same offenders over and over again.   I hate to see how many reports the MODs get on a daily basis.

I really would have no problem with the RWN section if things were under control.

I can see your point but for the most part it is under control. It was a great deal worse in 2004 and 2008. I used to post at Lockergnome and the OP had full control of their thread. It was up to the OP to make sure that everything stayed on topic and the OP had the right to close the thread with just cause at any time.

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Well we should definitely separate the RWN and politics, unfortunately much news now a day is very political and then you know there are several views. To defend my point, this website is filled with people who are extremely "Pro Windows 10 and everybody else sucks", but we don't limit that. This may be a tech website, but even in the computing world there is politics.

I'm sure the mods get plenty of reports regarding me, I'm one of those lovely "political" people, however I am very engaged in politics because I want my country to become better, not because I like pissing people off. It just happens to work that way though, ask Nick H and Skiver! :shiftyninja:

11 minutes ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

Well we should definitely separate the RWN and politics, unfortunately much news now a day is very political and then you know there are several views. To defend my point, this website is filled with people who are extremely "Pro Windows 10 and everybody else sucks", but we don't limit that. This may be a tech website, but even in the computing world there is politics.

I'm sure the mods get plenty of reports regarding me, I'm one of those lovely "political" people, however I am very engaged in politics because I want my country to become better, not because I like pissing people off. It just happens to work that way though, ask Nick H and Skiver! :shiftyninja:

You said it all my friend.

On 8/22/2016 at 11:40 PM, techbeck said:

There was even recently a few weeks back where a member posted a derogatory/racist term (twice) in RWN. 

Oh the horror!

On 8/22/2016 at 11:48 PM, Circaflex said:

Take a look at many of the threads in that forum, that isn't debating, its childish name calling. Posting memes and constantly berating the opposing party is not debating.

But some of those posters are truly great master debaters...

On 8/23/2016 at 0:47 AM, techbeck said:

Conversely, why should people who enjoy such things, be limited on what they can take part in (within the bounds of the forum rules) just to suit your sensibilities?