49 or 55 KS8000 4k?

Im looking for new tv. My old one is a 2014 model from Samsung which is a 40 inch. The tv is good and everything but want to replace it with a 4K because I own a Xbox One S and want to get the 4K content from it. I look at everything and the KS8000 is the best you can get in its class without going broke. The one problem is that im not sure if i want the 49 or 55 model. The price different is only $200 but not sure if I want a too big of a screen because im only 6 to 8 feet away and whe  i move it will be around the same distance.

• 3 weeks later...

im a bit late to the party here, but i have a 48" 2015 JS8500. it's in our living room. we sit about 8' from it. the size is great. i can also easily watch it from the kitchen.

i dont think you'll go wrong with either. did you already purchase one?

I decided to by the 55 inch model. Its much bigger than my old 40 inch tv but decided on the 55 because the location it will be place. Also wanted a bigger tv. Its a beautiful looking tv and its the cheapest 10 bit panel 4k on the market. Which is the HDR10 standard andnot the fact one you see on low end 

3 hours ago, Jason S. said:

huh?

Phase that wrong. A lot of low to midrange 4k tv that says it's HDR is not really the standard HDR10. Almost all the 4k TVs are 8-bit panel. You would need a 10-bit panel to get HDR10 support.

• Like 1

Just now, ACTIONpack said:

Phase that wrong. A lot of low to midrange 4k tv that says it's HDR is not really the standard HDR10. Almost all the 4k TVs are 8-bit panel. You would need a 10-bit panel to get HDR10 support.

youre right about the last part, but what is an example of a 4k tv with an 8-bit panel and "fake" HDR?

On 9/10/2016 at 4:30 AM, ACTIONpack said:

I decided to by the 55 inch model. Its much bigger than my old 40 inch tv but decided on the 55 because the location it will be place. Also wanted a bigger tv. Its a beautiful looking tv and its the cheapest 10 bit panel 4k on the market. Which is the HDR10 standard andnot the fact one you see on low end 

Is that English ?

Oh nevermind - I see you're in GA - I forgot they dont speak English there... :)

Nice :yes: I just got a 55" Samsung KS8000 and love it. 55" is a nice size, for my living room anyway :) This is the first TV I have bought since 2009 so the upgrade in picture quality, even for 1080p, is impressive. I love how I can plug in an NTFS(!) formatted flash drive with 4K 10bit MKV videos on it and it "just plays". SOOOOOOOOO good :D

I am thinking of picking up an Xbox One S once some HDR games come out. What are you using for 4K content?

1 hour ago, satysin said:

Nice :yes: I just got a 55" Samsung KS8000 and love it. 55" is a nice size, for my living room anyway :) This is the first TV I have bought since 2009 so the upgrade in picture quality, even for 1080p, is impressive. I love how I can plug in an NTFS(!) formatted flash drive with 4K 10bit MKV videos on it and it "just plays". SOOOOOOOOO good :D

I am thinking of picking up an Xbox One S once some HDR games come out. What are you using for 4K content?

I have a Xbox One S which is what I'm using for HDR content. It works well and with 4k is very limited. I got Batman vs Superman and watch a few shows on Netflix with 4k but besides that nothing else. The games look better on a 4k tv over a 1080p screen.

I want a new TV but 4k.. I don't feel it is ready. Netflix 4k is apparently meh because the bitrate of the video itself is poor. Neither do I have any 4k content available on Bluray.

How does 1080p look on the 4k Samsung TV's?

Just now, SuperKid said:

I want a new TV but 4k.. I don't feel it is ready. Netflix 4k is apparently meh because the bitrate of the video itself is poor. Neither do I have any 4k content available on Bluray.

Looks good. It really depend on the content you get. The upscaling is good and you will see a difference. When I go back and look on a 1080p screen its really night and day.

30 minutes ago, SuperKid said:

samsung's upscaling is insane. i'm still blown away at just how good a 1080i tv broadcast is upscaled. those stations that broadcast in 720p are still good, but not nearly as good. remember, 1080 is upscaled 4x. 720p is upscaled 9x.

1 hour ago, Jason S. said:

samsung's upscaling is insane. i'm still blown away at just how good a 1080i tv broadcast is upscaled. those stations that broadcast in 720p are still good, but not nearly as good. remember, 1080 is upscaled 4x. 720p is upscaled 9x.

Yeah the Samsung upscaling is very impressive. Even broadcast HD (1080i) looks superb. If I am totally honest telling the difference between 1080 upscaled and Netflix 4K is extremely difficult a lot of the time. You can only easily tell when it is HDR content due to the vibrancy of the colour. The motion smoothing is still dodgy although I've not seen any TV that does real-time interpolation well. They all produce artefacts. I am impressed with the game mode also, input lag hasn't been an issue when playing DOOM for example. 

Just now, satysin said:

Yeah the Samsung upscaling is very impressive. Even broadcast HD (1080i) looks superb. If I am totally honest telling the difference between 1080 upscaled and Netflix 4K is extremely difficult a lot of the time. You can only easily tell when it is HDR content due to the vibrancy of the colour. The motion smoothing is still dodgy although I've not seen any TV that does real-time interpolation well. They all produce artefacts. I am impressed with the game mode also, input lag hasn't been an issue when playing DOOM for example. 

You would need to compare a 4k hdr10 blu-ray with the 1080i to see the difference. The 4k Netflix is heavy compress.

7 hours ago, Jason S. said:

youre right about the last part, but what is an example of a 4k tv with an 8-bit panel and "fake" HDR?

"HDR Pro is probably LG marketing-speak for supporting HDR content without the full benefit of true HDR (like Dolby Vision).

I have 7700 LG tv, but I tried "HDR pro" 6xxx series before, and it was CRAP!   and it did not mention HRD10 or Dolby Vision anywhere on the box, like my new TV does.

pretty sure the same issue applies to lower end samsungs, where they dont have the specs, but have "HRD mentioned on the box, without specifying a standard!

5 hours ago, Jason S. said:

i don't think you mean what you mean.  1080i is actually worse then 720p with less lines to upscale.

http://lifehacker.com/5908969/why-you-should-watch-and-record-video-in-720p-instead-of-1080i

unless you are mistaking and what you meant is 1080p 

12 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

i don't think you mean what you mean.  1080i is actually worse then 720p with less lines to upscale.

http://lifehacker.com/5908969/why-you-should-watch-and-record-video-in-720p-instead-of-1080i

unless you are mistaking and what you meant is 1080p

no mistake. im talking in terms of resolution only. 720p broadcasts look markedly worse than 1080i broadcasts when upscaled to 4k on my JS8500.

12 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

"HDR Pro is probably LG marketing-speak for supporting HDR content without the full benefit of true HDR (like Dolby Vision).

From what i understand about HDR Pro, it's not an LG-only product. Samsung also uses it on the KS series. It's the ability to take non-HDR sources and make them semi-HDR. i guess you could say it's "HDR upconverting." That said, HDR10 is still the presumed standard as of today. Nothing wrong with Dolby Vision, of course, but im not sure if it'll gain a sizeable foothold.

Instead of starting a new thread..  what is the best 4k TV on the market today.  Looking to jump to 65 in from my current 55 in Panasonic VT50.  From what I can tell - this would be the flagship?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65KS8000-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01C5TFNSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473771923&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+65

I dont need the curve or something outrageous but at the same time dont want to buy a lower end model.  Thanks

The 8000 series isnt their flagship, but is the best bang for your buck. There's a 9800, 9500, and 9000 series.

Before you buy, i highly recommend you read the KS8000 owner's thread on AVS Forum. The users' feedback is invaluable.

5 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

The 8000 series isnt their flagship, but is the best bang for your buck. There's a 9800, 9500, and 9000 series.

Before you buy, i highly recommend you read the KS8000 owner's thread on AVS Forum. The users' feedback is invaluable.

Thanks.. maybe thats what I meant.. like I want a great tv.. but dont want to spend $3000.. I think I spent $1800 on my VT50 and still think its a great TV (just wish I got the 65)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2016 at 2:12 PM, ACTIONpack said:

Looks good. It really depend on the content you get. The upscaling is good and you will see a difference. When I go back and look on a 1080p screen its really night and day.

How good 1080p upscales is entirely engine-dependent.  I'll be making a few trips to our local Best Buy (which has a Magnolia Home Theater in-store) to check out the HDR upscaling; they also have the UN40JU6300 - my target purchase - as a display model in that part of the store.  I have no 4K content - yet - therefore, I have to upscale.

40 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

How good 1080p upscales is entirely engine-dependent.  I'll be making a few trips to our local Best Buy (which has a Magnolia Home Theater in-store) to check out the HDR upscaling; they also have the UN40JU6300 - my target purchase - as a display model in that part of the store.  I have no 4K content - yet - therefore, I have to upscale.

i would highly recommend that you save up some money and get an SUHD model. My parents have the JU6500. it looks great, of course, but it's pretty staggering how much better my JS8500 is.

Again, samsung's upscaling is amazing. it's so, so good.

• Like 1