'White, male, Christian able-bodied and straight' students are told 'to check their privilege' in poster campaign

23 hours ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

I me me me my my blah blah. That's what I read on that poster. The number of self-entitled self-absorbed individuals with a chip on their shoulder is increasing every day.

If we want to start checking privileges, I hate to break it to them but anyone that lives in the US is "privileged".

Do I live in a grass hut? No.

Do I have a choice of what I have for breakfast? Yes. <- this one right there means you are not poor on the global standard.

How about instead we simply teach people to treat others with decency and respect as human beings, and along with it some personal responsibility. Every people group and race has been oppressed and enslaved at some point or another.

57 minutes ago, InconspicuousDuck said:

How do you think people have defended themselves for thousands of years without individuals having access to weapons? Ever heard of this thing called an army?

'But muh guns!'

And why do you keep spouting random words? Wtf does Satan have to do with this??

----

@floatingfatman sexism against men is not a thing. 

http://www.bustle.com/articles/71400-6-reasons-men-can-literally-never-be-victims-of-sexism-and-those-who-think-they

I have a question- would you be happy to see laws in Western nations updated to reflect the opinions in that article ?

Would you be happy to be discriminated against and have no recourse to have it corrected ?

Are you prepared to answer "yes" to that questions for millions of other men including your own offspring several generations hence ?

Also how far does the pendulum have to swing before "white men" are finally recognised as being discriminated against ?

10 years, 100 years ?

Also can you define what "privilege" is for me ?

Does a white homeless man have more privilege than a black female CEO ?

If so how ? How is this privilege rewarded, how is it measured ?

Can he walk into her building and say "I am a white male, I should be CEO, so move out of the way" and others will simply acquiesce ?

If I dont work to achieve something can I simply say ... "ok I'm cashing in my white male chips - hand over the goods" ?

If I do work hard and someone who is black (male or female or transgender etc..) doesnt, should they deserve the reward even if they were given the exact same opportunity to succeed ?

I am all for equality mind you - albeit equality of opportunity not equality of outcome - you want something you put the effort it otherwise you dont get to have it.

I would love an answer to the above (not necessarily from you, anyone who is of a similar mind), but only of course if its not "privileged" information to obtain.

2 hours ago, Jason S. said:

so once i 'check my privilege'.... then what? what's the proposed outcome? i dont mean what's their outcome, what's my outcome? what am i supposed to do once i 'check my privilege'?

"im so sorry, sir, no no, you take my job, i'll just keep searching b/c im privileged" --- is that it?

"im so sorry, you take my spot at The University. i'll just go to another b/c im privileged. oh, but then i have to check it again at the next University... hmm..." --- is that it?

Kneel down in front of the nearest black person and offer all the money in your wallet and any you have in savings.

Reparations are the duty of a properly shamed white male. Woops. I mean properly enlightened white person. Don't want to assume anyones gender here, let's not be rude.

2 hours ago, DeusProto said:

The idea is to hopefully make you emphathize with members of the various disenfranchised classes in society. To make you give pause and think long enough to hopefully encourage you to be more proactive in defense of the disenfranchised when you see them being abused and in situations where it calls for to offer them assistance. But most importantly it's simply to raise awareness and empathy. 

It's going to take a long time for the privileged ones to make up for what they have collectively inflicted on the disenfranchised from 1492 to circa 1969 for most things.  While there is still quite a lot unresolved in terms of social justice and fairness, a lot of the ugliest stuff was resolved in the late 1960s thanks to progressive efforts to overcome those trying to keep the U.S. stuck perpetually in the 1950s culturally speaking. 

Like, I mean, you do know the US is one of, if not the most, progressive country in the world right? People here, especially women and minorities, have more rights than in any other country that has ever existed?

If black people (err, people of color) want to be treated as equals in modern society then they need to turn away from the racism they're promoting against whites and start looking to tend their own communities. Because until they stop committing hugely disproportionate amounts of crime no logical thinking person is going to give a ###### what they want. 

The problem is most black people won't even admit there are issues within their own communities. And then there are some who blame it on white people. I had some one tell me the other day that me, being a white male, am the cause of the crime and that I need the hugely disproportionate amounts of black crime to make me feel better. And so yes, I am the cause of black crime.

Logically speaking it doesn't make a single bit of senses and this person completely ignored all statistics I gave to him because they didn't fit inside of the delusion he'd created that allowed him to justify his hate.

Edited by trag3dy

2 hours ago, InconspicuousDuck said:

LOL Really ?  That is your evidence ?  That is your proof ?  That is what you are throwing down in this conversation in an attempt to prove what you think is correct ?  Because some random article says so ?  Seriously ?

You realize I can pull up some random article posted on the internet that says Elvis is alive ?  Some posts on the internet that says the Earth is 6000 years old ?  That Nicholas Cage is a time traveler ?

Those random articles would prove, to you, those things are factual ?

Then why should anyone give you an ounce of credibility because you cited that random article ?   Is this your first argument ?  If so, then I'll let it slip and just say - "thats not how it works"  

But since it isnt your 1st time:
Laughing-Men-In-Suits.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trag3dy said:

Like, I mean, you do know the US is one of, if not the most, progressive country in the world right? People here, especially women and minorities, have more rights than in any other country that has ever existed?

Not quite, but you're getting there.... Slowly. ;)

1 hour ago, AnotherITguy said:

SJW's at work, i'd propose giving all these idiots a one way trip to china. Our problems would be solved.

I vote North Korea. China already has population issues.

19 hours ago, T3X4S said:

LOL Really ?  That is your evidence ?  That is your proof ?  That is what you are throwing down in this conversation in an attempt to prove what you think is correct ?  Because some random article says so ?  Seriously ?

You realize I can pull up some random article posted on the internet that says Elvis is alive ?  Some posts on the internet that says the Earth is 6000 years old ?  That Nicholas Cage is a time traveler ?

Those random articles would prove, to you, those things are factual ?

Then why should anyone give you an ounce of credibility because you cited that random article ?   Is this your first argument ?  If so, then I'll let it slip and just say - "thats not how it works"  

But since it isnt your 1st time:

Considering your name is "T3X4S" I think you'd take any article as indisputable proof. And you seem to be asking quite a lot of questions but don't seem to be responding to anything. So I take it that you have nothing to offer - good day.

Am I on Neowin or did I end up on a white male supremacist forum? Best not to come to the forum section of this site - the articles serve their purpose and reddit serves as its place for informed, well-reasoned discussion.

34 minutes ago, InconspicuousDuck said:

Am I on Neowin or did I end up on a white male supremacist forum?

Wow. You REALLY think so?

No amount of check my privilege will help you then.

21 hours ago, domboy said:

I me me me my my blah blah. That's what I read on that poster. The number of self-entitled self-absorbed individuals with a chip on their shoulder is increasing every day.

If we want to start checking privileges, I hate to break it to them but anyone that lives in the US is "privileged".

Do I live in a grass hut? No.

Do I have a choice of what I have for breakfast? Yes. <- this one right there means you are not poor on the global standard.

How about instead we simply teach people to treat others with decency and respect as human beings, and along with it some personal responsibility. Every people group and race has been oppressed and enslaved at some point or another.

That is what good people try to do, treat others with respect, but I am not responsible for everyone living here,  A person is responsible for their own destiny.  Some start with nothing and become wealthy. H. Ross Perot started with a borrowed $1000 and build a company called EDS and became a Billionaire.

2 hours ago, InconspicuousDuck said:

Considering your name is "T3X4S" I think you'd take any article as indisputable proof. And you seem to be asking quite a lot of questions but don't seem to be responding to anything. So I take it that you have nothing to offer - good day.

Am I on Neowin or did I end up on a white male supremacist forum? Best not to come to the forum section of this site - the articles serve their purpose and reddit serves as its place for informed, well-reasoned discussion.

I dont get what you mean.  Please explain ?
But, since you brought it up, I'll explain why I chose that as my username.
My last name is Walker.  I used to walk into the clubhouse @ the golf course I used to work @ and whenever I did, coworkers would always say "WALKER !" - then one day the TV show "Walker, Texas Ranger" shot an episode on our golf course.  So - then when I walked in a room, people would say, "Walker.... Texas Ranger" - then it eventually morphed into just "Texas"
Add to the fact that I live in Texas, and people who are from Texas - are quite proud of our state - so there was some sense of pride in that - so it became my nickname.
FunFact - If Texas were its own country, we would have come in 3rd place this year @ the Olympics in the medal count !

So now that is out of the way - what did you mean by your comment about my nickname ?  Why would the fact that I live in a particular area that I would believe any article as indisputable proof ? Please explain, because that doesnt make sense - after all - I am just a simpleton from Texas - I need you to explain things to me.

I am not responding to anything?  Sorry, didnt know I was asked something -   Ask away - I will respond, but only if you respond to what you were inferring 

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Nice bit of discrimination there, buddy.

Yeah - I hope he explains what exactly he meant by it
(I mean I have an idea - just want him to say it) - 

55 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

That is what good people try to do, treat others with respect, but I am not responsible for everyone living here,  A person is responsible for their own destiny.  Some start with nothing and become wealthy. H. Ross Perot started with a borrowed $1000 and build a company called EDS and became a Billionaire.

Good example.  I work for Dell @ the Plano campus, which used to be Perot Systems.  He still owns the building, still has an office there and comes to work, everyday.  I pass him in the halls near the cafeteria all the time.  Nice guy - I talk to him on occasion - 
Even with his immense wealth, his age - he still works everyday.  I dont think he drives anymore, but used to drive an old Buick, and before that a Dodge Minivan.

Its kinda funny, "what kind of car do you drive when you have enough money to buy any car ever made ?"   Whatever the hell you want.

On 8/21/2016 at 11:07 AM, trag3dy said:

Yeah and young black males make up roughly 7% of the population of the US yet are responsible for nearly 50% of all crime IN THE US.

I WONDER WHY THEY GET HARSHER TREATMENT.

It's almost like you're only paying attention to half the story. Statistics and facts be damned.

And then you bring up the gender wage gap, which has been factually debunked countless times. Do you want people to take you seriously? I'm guessing not.

Actually 13% but that's alright. Some people are just good at blaming others instead of looking at the real issue, themselves. Obama, the 1st black president, I hear has done worse for the black community in his 2 terms as POTUS.

Pay gap is such a myth. They calculate it by adding the sum total of all money earned by men and by women. It doesn’t look at hours worked at all. It also does not look at job titles or job salaries. After the Equal Pay Act, it is literally ILLEGAL to pay a woman less than a man for the 'same' work.

On 22 August 2016 at 2:45 AM, Stoffel said:

What is wrong with you all? How can you deny white privilege. Black people in the USA have only been the "equal" of white men since the middle of the last century. Before that there were separate schools, water fountains, special places on the bus,....

This doesn't diminish the fact that there are plenty of white people who had to struggle to get where they are, but to say whites have it just as hard as black people is just plain wrong

Africans have it harder in Africa than they do in the USA. 

3 hours ago, InconspicuousDuck said:

Am I on Neowin or did I end up on a white male supremacist forum? 

Where did you see this? Can you quote what makes you believe this?

1 hour ago, Morisato said:

Actually 13% but that's alright. Some people are just good at blaming others instead of looking at the real issue, themselves. Obama, the 1st black president, I hear has done worse for the black community in his 2 terms as POTUS.

Actually,

what he was inferring was blacks are ~13% of the population.  That is all blacks - little kids, men, women, old, everyone.

Bulk of the violent crimes are committed by males.

So out of the 13% -  the people committing ~55% of all the violent crimes - are less than 1/2 of that 13% - 

So - 4%-6% of the population (black males) are doing 55% of violent crimes.

But of course - some people, including people on this site and this very thread, want to try and say its everyone else's fault. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Morisato said:

When I say 7% I'm specifically talking about black males. Not the entirety of the black population, which is about 13%.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2016 at 10:55 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

When it attempts to punish me because I'm male, yes it goddam well is and no cretinous article written by some up her own butt, feminist witch, will change that.

i always tell them i'm not a male, i'm really a female lesbian trapped in a male's body....

28 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Dude, be proud to be a man!

oh i am, but i love seeing them squirm, it really gets under their skin because they can't say anything because i'm female, AND a lesbian trapped in a male body....

oh whoa is me....    =(     don't trigger me!  hahaha

33 minutes ago, Buttus said:

oh i am, but i love seeing them squirm, it really gets under their skin because they can't say anything because i'm female, AND a lesbian trapped in a male body....

oh whoa is me....    =(     don't trigger me!  hahaha

See, I use a different tactic.  I like to trigger then, make them really REALLY infuriated, then shut the door in their face or walk away.  Usually it takes the form of "Shouldn't you be in the kitchen, making my dinner?", but I've been cruder in the past. :p

On 8/22/2016 at 9:30 AM, DeusProto said:

It's going to take a long time for the privileged ones to make up for what they have collectively inflicted on the disenfranchised from 1492 to circa 1969 for most things.  

I wasn't even around for the overwhelming majority of those years, and was in no position to change anything in the years I WAS alive in that span. The same applies to those who are screaming for reparations. Sorry, but this is ludicrous thinking. I will not be held responsible for things outside my control.

• Like 3