Star Citizen Shows Off Alpha 3.0’s Seamless World

This game....

Seriously someone needs to get a hold of a project manager, slap them in and give him the power to beat the ###### out of Chris Roberts every time he comes up with a new idea. It's like nobody on that entire team has heard of feature creep before. I'm not talking about the seamless world, I'm talking about all the extra crap that Chris talks about every single time he showcases this game.

I fully expect that by the end of the year Chris will be talking about how your character needs to eat food, drink water, shower, ######, have relationships, etc or he will die.

This game has been in development for 5 years. 5 YEARS. What does he have to show for it? Nothing but tech demos oh and proof that they know how to use CryEngine's map editor for the one "city" they have operational right now. Well that and the one orbital station I guess.

FFS elite dangerous has it figured out. Make the main game, focus on the expansions like planetary exploration and FPS later. And guess what? People actually play that game. By the time Star Citizen releases, which judging by the progress that's been made in the past 5 years will be 2030 at the very earliest, nobody is going to care about it anymore.

Remember how they said this game would release in 2013? Then that became 2016 and now? Who knows....

Elite dangerous is boring game. Remember how Elite was suppose to have a offline mode.   Elite is not the model I would follow at all. Elite Half assed when they made the main game.   No man sky sucks.  Everybody is waiting for a good game maybe that star citizen or not .

Elite dangerous is boring game. Remember how Elite was suppose to have a offline mode.   Elite is not the model I would follow at all. Elite Half assed when they made the main game.   No man sky sucks.  Everybody is waiting for a good game maybe that star citizen or not .

Um there is an offline mode? But here's the thing they made the game. It's out, it's shipped and the first expansion with planetary landings is already out.

Star Citizen on the other hand is a tech demo of 1 small city and an orbit station oh and some ships. That's all they've managed to do with 120 million in funding and 5 years of development. The one guy coding space engine in his spare time has done vastly more in 5 years than RSI has...and he does it for free / donations.

11 minutes ago, -Razorfold said:

Um there is an offline mode? But here's the thing they made the game. It's out, it's shipped and the first expansion with planetary landings is already out.

Star Citizen on the other hand is a tech demo of 1 small city and an orbit station oh and some ships. That's all they've managed to do with 120 million in funding and 5 years of development. The one guy coding space engine in his spare time has done vastly more in 5 years than RSI has...and he does it for free / donations.

I'd rather they take their time.... I don't want games to pushed out early.  I want them take their time and do it right.   Elite is game pushed out early and sucks It just not fun. I doubt elite is going to be around in 5 years.  While Star citizen building a foundation for the future that's why it takes so much time. RSI is building 2 games at once SQ 42 single player and Star Citizen.   

I'd rather they take their time.... I don't want games to pushed out early.  I want them take their time and do it right.   Elite is game pushed out early and sucks It just not fun. I doubt elite is going to be around in 5 years.  While Star citizen building a foundation for the future that's why it takes so much time. RSI is building 2 games at once SQ 42 single player and Star Citizen.   

No what's going to happen is they're going to run out of money and then either beg for more with promises for more stuff in the future or push out the game unfinished.

Can we stop with the ###### of "They're building a foundation for the future that's why it takes so much time"? Stop defending their absolutely pathetic work and Chris' inability to stick to a task. There's really no need for them to focus on SQ 42 when the main game isn't even 1% finished yet.

5 years and what do they have to show for it? Go ahead because you see I have access to the alpha and I can honestly tell you if that's their idea of hard work for the past 5 years, this game is never going to release.

I definitely won't agree that Elite sucks.  I do think it needed at least a few months more work on the gameplay before launch, but I played quite a bit even so.

SC is taking much longer than expected and I seriously wish I hadn't paid for it when I did, but it looks like it'll be a great game.

Elite is definitely boring game and losing steam its not going around in 5 years.  I know lot people who feel the same way  I wish I hadn't played it.  I know left the game.  SQ42 was always expected before star citizen.   I think frontier will run out of money before RSI runs out.

23 minutes ago, -Razorfold said:

5 years and what do they have to show for it? Go ahead because you see I have access to the alpha and I can honestly tell you if that's their idea of hard work for the past 5 years, this game is never going to release.

It hasn't even been four years.  Not to mention, that was from starting fundraising, and in the meantime they also had to hire people to do the work.  Not to mention there's a lot they couldn't do until they had the base code and assets in.

3 minutes ago, Melfster said:

I think frontier will run out of money before RSI runs out.

Frontier has more than one game under their belt and probably more in the pipeline, so not much to worry about there.  If SC bombed it could certainly end RSI, but that seems unlikely.

The development of the game started in 2011 with building a demo on a modified version of the CryEngine 3 game engine, later updated to the 4th generation.

2011 -> 2016. That's 5 years. The fundraising came in 2012.

And what exactly do you mean there's a lot they couldn't do without the base code and assets. It's run on CryEngine, so all the engine work is already like at least 75% done for them. Sure they have to build on that but what exactly have they done in the past few years?

1. Absolutely atrocious netcode. But then again it's an alpha so that is too be expected, just surprising that it's still not fixed.

2. 1 small city that is 90% empty and just a bunch of textures. Nice work RSI! You figured out how to use Cryengines map editor.

3. 1 small space station that is 90% empty. It looks cool though I'll give it that.

4. Some ships that cost an insane amount of money.

5. You can warp to another planet where there's another space station! Nowhere else though since it either doesn't exist yet or is completely unfinished.

Seriously its about time people stopped defending this game. Does it have an absolutely awesome concept? Yes yes it does. Is it being managed by a person who has no clue how to manage and dedicate resources? Yes it is. Is it being managed by a person who cares more about talking about more and newer features before actually getting the game out? Yes it is.

It's like I said. Space engine is made by ONE GUY in his free time, he makes it available completely for free (sure theres donations but he hasn't made anything from that). In 5 (or fine lets go with 4 to make you happy) years he's done significantly more with that game in his spare time than RSI has done with their $120 million in fundraising and a full team of developers.

12 hours ago, -Razorfold said:

This game....

Seriously someone needs to get a hold of a project manager, slap them in and give him the power to beat the ###### out of Chris Roberts every time he comes up with a new idea.

I condemn all forms of violence and abuse. 

...However, there are exceptions to many rules in this world and if his shareholder/stakeholder were to do that, I'd probably not intervene.

So far, they've seen zero ROI :D 

p.s. makes me wonder how much profit WoW has netted in its entire history.

4 minutes ago, -Razorfold said:

And what exactly do you mean there's a lot they couldn't do without the base code and assets. It's run on CryEngine, so all the engine work is already like at least 75% done for them. Sure they have to build on that but what exactly have they done in the past few years?

1. Absolutely atrocious netcode. But then again it's an alpha so that is too be expected, just surprising that it's still not fixed.

2. 1 small city that is 90% empty and just a bunch of textures. Nice work RSI! You figured out how to use Cryengines map editor.

3. 1 small space station that is 90% empty. It looks cool though I'll give it that.

5. You can warp to another planet where there's another space station! Nowhere else though since it either doesn't exist yet or is completely unfinished.

Seriously its about time people stopped defending this game. Does it have an absolutely awesome concept? Yes yes it does. Is it being managed by a person who has no clue how to manage and dedicate resources? Yes it is. Is it being managed by a person who cares more about talking about more and newer features before actually getting the game out? Yes it is.

It's like I said. Space engine is made by ONE GUY in his free time, he makes it available completely for free (sure theres donations but he hasn't made anything from that). In 5 (or fine lets go with 4 to make you happy) years he's done significantly more with that game in his spare time than RSI has done with their $120 million in fundraising and a full team of developers.

As far as Cry Engine goes it is almost completely new engine.  They had to change about 50% of Cry Engine.  At least they got many devs who built the engine from crytek but that only happened last year.  

As far as Cry Engine goes it is almost completely new engine.  They had to change about 50% of Cry Engine.  At least they got many devs who built the engine from crytek but that only happened last year.  

My problem is they spend far too much time thinking and working on new features than actually focusing on the core of the game.

Look at this topic for example "Alpha 3.0 shows off seamless world". Um alpha 2 showed of that seamless world too, I could walk around the city, jump into a ship, fly around, warp to the other space station all seamlessly without any interruptions or loading screens. 

Chris Roberts really needs to hire a project manager who can keep him and the development team in check, that's the main issue with this game. Main parts of the game aren't even remotely close to being done and every convention Chris talks about this radical new idea he's come up with that they're working on.

I guarantee you that at the rate things are going this game is either going to become DoA or RSI is going to go bankrupt. Does this game have the potential to be an absolutely amazing game? It 100% does but if that feature creep isn't kept in check it'll go down as the biggest vaporware in history.

43 minutes ago, -Razorfold said:

My problem is they spend far too much time thinking and working on new features than actually focusing on the core of the game.

Look at this topic for example "Alpha 3.0 shows off seamless world". Um alpha 2 showed of that seamless world too, I could walk around the city, jump into a ship, fly around, warp to the other space station all seamlessly without any interruptions or loading screens. 

Chris Roberts really needs to hire a project manager who can keep him and the development team in check, that's the main issue with this game. Main parts of the game aren't even remotely close to being done and every convention Chris talks about this radical new idea he's come up with that they're working on.

I guarantee you that at the rate things are going this game is either going to become DoA or RSI is going to go bankrupt. Does this game have the potential to be an absolutely amazing game? It 100% does but if that feature creep isn't kept in check it'll go down as the biggest vaporware in history.

Alpha 3.0 showed off Planetary landings  seamless transition from space to a planetoid and some character tech. 2.0 was about multiplayer ships.  BTW the next version 3.0 which they will show at citizencon next month will show planets with environmental procedural tech ex Crysis level forest.     I guarantee you don't t know what talking about.  There have been steady stream of naysayers about this game and sure there have been some dead ends and wrong turns ex) Star Marine.  But They showed in game footage that was live so you know it is not vaporware. They have made progress.  Yes they have a long way to go but I am not really worried about them running out of money because they ability to generate revenue even though they are still in heavy development and they have large amount money already.   Once Squadron 42 gets released probable early next year sometime then that generate more revenue and buzz.  They are doing lots of unique things in the game that haven't been done before so there is bound to be delay.

Edited by Melfster

1 hour ago, -Razorfold said:

I wanted to disagree, but honestly mate, well said, you have very very valid points, every single one ;) i didn't follow my head though, in my defence :) I wouldn't for any other developer.

I may end up regretting that if you are infact correct how this pans out. 

Alpha 3.0 showed off Planetary landings  seamless transition from space to a planetoid and some character tech. 2.0 was about multiplayer ships.  BTW the next version 3.0 which they will show at citizencon next month will show planets with environmental procedural tech ex Crysis level forest.     I guarantee you don't think you know what talking about.  There have been steady stream of naysayers about this game and sure there have been some dead ends and wrong turns ex) Star Marine.  But They showed in game footage that was live so you know it is not vaporware. They have made progress.  Yes they have a long way to go but I am not really worried about them running out of money because they ability to generate revenue even though they are still in heavy development and they have large amount money already.   Once Squadron 42 gets released probable early next year sometime then that generate more revenue and buzz.  They are doing lots of unique things in the game that haven't been done before so there is bound to be delay.

Dude I play the alpha lol. There was seamless transitions in alpha 2 just you couldn't go anywhere but the stations. And wow planetary landings, that must have been real difficult taking 1 1/2 years to create!!!

Guess what no mans sky showed in game footage too, how'd that turn out Their ability to generate money is completely dependent on how many people feel like its worth giving to a game in pre-alpha stage, and the longer the game takes to move forward, the larger that number is going to drop.

"doing a lot of unique things" get the ###### out of here. I've literally mentioned this 200 times now, half the ###### in Star Citizen already exists in games like Space Engine. Procedurally generated worlds, millions of them, seamless transitions to atmosphere and space flight. Granted you can't walk around yet but I bet that's going to be done on space engine first too. And that's one guy working for free during his spare time for free. No Triple-A budget, no giant conventions, no space ships that cost $1000 +. Is it as impressive as Chris' vision for star citizen? That's debatable. It's not as expansive but at the same time its a solo Russian programmer who does this because he loves it so take that as you will.

This is coming from a guy who paid for the mustang when it released on day 1. This game has a huge amount of potential, but this blind faith and trust that CIG is going make miracles happen when they have nothing to show for it yet is pretty pathetic.

On 8/29/2016 at 8:15 PM, Mirumir said:

So, which ship should I pick?

I'm already frustrated as the intro page doesn't tell me about the consequences of picking one or the other!

On 8/29/2016 at 8:25 PM, Mirumir said:

Will I get the other ship upon the game's release?

I still have the very basic starter ship for 20 $ (including the whole game and LifeTimeInsurance on the ship which I can transfer to another one once I choose to donate more / upgrade to a new ship)

Get yourself something cheap with LTI when it goes on sale would be my best advise. You can always upgrade later.

Also you will be able to buy ships in game without having to use money but if you have the opportunity to have a ship that never charges you anything when it breaks .. then why not.

14 hours ago, Anarkii said:

I would play this in a heartbeat but not at $75 US just to get a entry level ship to play. 
If they had a simple system of signing up, then getting the basic of basics i'd be there so fast.

Unfortunately they have passed the stage where a simple 20$ donation allowed you to have the full game. Once it is out I am sure the game will release at retail price. So if games these days cost around 50-80 Euros / USD .. then maybe it is not such a bad decision to buy now.

I would agree with Melfster in his assessment of the project.

They have finished the main work it seems. Are in the process of redoing the netcode, after which the focus moves to content creation.

They have finished the main work it seems. Are in the process of redoing the netcode, after which the focus moves to content creation.

If you think they're anywhere remotely near finishing the main work then I'm sorry but you are delusional as ######.

I mean unless they have some super secret test build that nobody has ever seen the game is about as far from release as dwarf fortress is from version 1.0. But hey at least dwarf fortress is a playable game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve0Bpmx8Fk0 

It's not really a "game" per say but if you like exploration and space then there's, currently, nothing better. Started development in 2005, first public release in 2010. All done by 1 developer, that's it. The guy deserves a lot more credit than he gets because hardly anyone knows about it.

Edited by -Razorfold

10 minutes ago, -Razorfold said:

Dude I play the alpha lol. There was seamless transitions in alpha 2 just you couldn't go anywhere but the stations. And wow planetary landings, that must have been real difficult taking 1 1/2 years to create!!!

Guess what no mans sky showed in game footage too, how'd that turn out Their ability to generate money is completely dependent on how many people feel like its worth giving to a game in pre-alpha stage, and the longer the game takes to move forward, the larger that number is going to drop.

"doing a lot of unique things" get the ###### out of here. I've literally mentioned this 200 times now, half the ###### in Star Citizen already exists in games like Space Engine. Procedurally generated worlds, millions of them, seamless transitions to atmosphere and space flight. Granted you can't walk around yet but I bet that's going to be done on space engine first too. And that's one guy working for free during his spare time for free. No Triple-A budget, no giant conventions, no space ships that cost $1000 +. Is it as impressive as Chris' vision for star citizen? That's debatable. It's not as expansive but at the same time its a solo Russian programmer who does this because he loves it so take that as you will.

This is coming from a guy who paid for the mustang when it released on day 1. This game has a huge amount of potential, but this blind faith and trust that CIG is going make miracles happen when they have nothing to show for it yet is pretty pathetic.

LOL So this one guy is going to do AAA title that is going to destroy Star Citizen, Elite dangerous and other developers.  I don't know anything about this game but I bet I will believe it when I see it.

LOL So this one guy is going to do AAA title that is going to destroy Star Citizen, Elite dangerous and other developers.  I don't know anything about this game but I bet I will believe it when I see it.

I never said it was a triple A title did I? I never said it was going to destroy star citizen or elite dangerous did I?

I said one guy has more in his spare time, and the $40,000 he's gotten in donations in 5 years than Chris Roberts has done with his $120 million in donations, full dev team in those same 5 years.

Oh and guess what? That's actual in-game / simulation footage. No ######. And you can go download the entire thing for free.

• Like 3

To me that is not really impressive.  I am glad your hyped about this game I wouldn't give this guy a penny.

Lawl.

You realize that's a gigantic universe that's completely procedurally generated. You can land on any planet, any asteroid, you can fly to any galaxy you want to and do the same thing.

SpaceEngine - a free space simulation program that lets you explore the universe in three dimensions, from planet Earth to the most distant galaxies. Areas of the known universe are represented using actual astronomical data, while regions uncharted by astronomy are generated procedurally. Millions of galaxies, trillions of stars, countless planets - all available for exploration. You can land any planet, moon or asteroid and watch alien landscapes and celestial phenomena. You can even pilot starships and atmospheric shuttles.

If you can't see that as being impressive especially when its one guy doing it as a hobby. Then you're either trolling or delusional. Since you feel the need to defend Chris Robert's to the death I'm leaning towards the latter.

And guess what? You don't have to give him anything. It's 100% free.

Whats the point of large galaxy if there is nothing you can do in it. I just don't want do that. I don't care how large a galaxy is. It should be free because because it looks boring.  If that type of game makes you happy so be it.  

36 minutes ago, -Razorfold said:

If you think they're anywhere remotely near finishing the main work then I'm sorry but you are delusional as ######.

No need to be on the offence Razor, I could have phrased that better.

From what I have read the base work is more or less getting there and they will start to shift focus to content creation.

This does not mean that the base work is done.

I do not know how much you follow the development reports that come out monthly from the 4 different studios that are working on this game but I would seriously like to meet the person that can sum it all up.