• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Volvo Trucks - The Iron Knight - The world's fastest truck

+Mirumir    5,635

+Gary7    7,372

I owned an Old Volvo Car that weighed over 4000 LBS. The body was like 3/8 of an inch thick.

The Evil Overlord    18,441

Rumour Has it he is the Stig...... :shiftyninja:

• Like 2

PGHammer    1,492

Cute; Volvo has a rather sizable HGV group (and not just in Europe, either).  While the Iron Knight is a cab-over design, the majority of Volvo HGV vehicles in the US are conventionals.

+Mirumir    5,635
15 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Cute; Volvo has a rather sizable HGV group (and not just in Europe, either).  While the Iron Knight is a cab-over design, the majority of Volvo HGV vehicles in the US are conventionals.

imho the correct terms are: a tractor-trailer, a semi-trailer truck, HGV, or a hauler, definitely not a truck, but many journos can't tell the difference I guess. For them, they are all just trucks.

40 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Conventional is relative, outside of the US a truck like the type you mentioned is called a T-cab and the cab over is the conventional type. A lot of UK and European laws govern the overall size of it.

27 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

imho the correct terms are: a tractor-trailer, a semi-trailer truck, HGV, or a hauler, definitely not a truck, but many journos can't tell the difference I guess. For them, they are all just trucks.

Tractor Unit

• Like 2

+Mirumir    5,635

btw, i hate the cab over design :D it's so unsafe for the driver if you think about it.

3 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

btw, i hate the cab over design :D it's so unsafe for the driver if you think about it.

I guess that's relative also, I've never seen an accident in which the cab over artic was innocent, involved an injury for the truck driver.

I'm not counting the youtube dashcam videos, as they're more local to bad weather + stupidity and the inability to drive within the vehicle limits and road conditions.

A sensible and responsible driver in ANY motor vehicle should be aware of their surroundings at all times.

• Like 1

+Mirumir    5,635
25 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I guess that's relative also, I've never seen an accident in which the cab over artic was innocent, involved an injury for the truck driver.

I'm not counting the youtube dashcam videos, as they're more local to bad weather + stupidity and the inability to drive within the vehicle limits and road conditions.

A sensible and responsible driver in ANY motor vehicle should be aware of their surroundings at all times.

The Cab Over Engine design is good for parking :) It's easy to park upfront.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

The Cab Over Engine design is good for parking :) 

General visibility also, as some T-cabs have a huge blind spot right in front of the radiator grille

Some even have markers.

Edited by The Evil Overlord
  • Like 1