FBI Admits Clinton Used Software Designed To "Prevent Recovery" And "Hide Traces Of" Deleted Emails

South Carolina Representative Trey Gowdy appeared on Fox News today and disclosed new details about the Clinton email scandal that seem to indicate intent to destroy evidence.  Per the clip below, Gowdy reveals that Clinton used "BleachBit" to erase the "personal" emails from her private server. 

For those not familiar with the software, BleachBit is intended to help users delete files in a way to "prevent recovery" and "hide traces of files deleted."  Per the BleachBit website:

Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery,wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster.

During his appearance on Fox, Gowdy clearly indicates that Clinton's use of BleachBit undermines her claims that she only deleted innocuous "personal" emails from her private server.   

“If she considered them to be personal, then she and her lawyers had those emails deleted.  They didn’t just push the delete button, they had them deleted where even God can't read them.

"They were using something called BleachBit.  You don't use BleachBit for yoga emails."

"When you're using BleachBit, it is something you really do not want the world to see."

Gowdy also questioned whether Hillary considered "Clinton Foundation" emails to be "personal" and, if not, asked why the FBI's investigation revealed minimal emails about Foundation-related topics.

So Dear Reader, we leave it to you to decide whether - like FBI Director Comey - you see no "intent" to hide or obfuscate any of the deleted emails; or - like Rep. Gowdy - you see the facts as proving Hillary Clinton's intent to ensure no trace was left of these harmless emails about yoga routines or wedding plans.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-25/fbi-admits-clinton-used-software-designed-prevent-recovery-and-hide-traces-deleted-e

Bleachbit is an opensource program similar to ccleaner. 

https://www.bleachbit.org/

"BleachBit quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy. Free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean a thousand applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari,and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source."

Struggling to see how this would be used to "purge" e-mails from a server?

Was this used to shred the e-mail database? If so won't it purge ALL e-mails?

6 minutes ago, Eternal Tempest said:

"BleachBit quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy. Free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean a thousand applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari,and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source."

Indeed.. these people seem to have no clue what they are talking about.

Seems like the guy heard it from someone that has heard it from someone else that has heard it from the dog of an FBI agent. 

18 minutes ago, Eternal Tempest said:

Email doesn't necessarily have to be in a database.  There are lot of email servers that keep them as flat files.

12 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

Seems like the guy heard it from someone that has heard it from someone else that has heard it from the dog of an FBI agent. 

The FBI said this not Gowdy, Why would you create a thread that you yourself think is BS??

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kjordan2001 said:

Email doesn't necessarily have to be in a database.  There are lot of email servers that keep them as flat files.

She was using Exchange, I remember when the OWA was still up and running so it most definitely was in a database .EDB and would not have been touched by this program.

Just now, JHBrown said:

I am confident this whole email scandal will die off once Hillary is sitting in the White House. Time to move on from it already.

She will never be in the White house, maybe a white Cell Block. She was using her own private server, I don't know if she used an exchange server.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

A very strange post for the OP of this thread to make.:woot: Maybe this belongs in the Joke section..

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

A Secretary of State should not be deleting emails period, no matter what program she used.

Where's the law that specifies that they shouldn't delete emails? I don't see what's bad about government employees deleting emails, once they've served their purpose they just take up space.

6 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

She will never be in the White house, maybe a white Cell Block. She was using her own private server, I don't know if she used an exchange server.

You're right, I mean we know it's physically impossible to set up Exchange on hardware you personally own.

It's rare for any modern email server to store emails as single files, they're almost always stored in a database. Nobody knows what the scrubbing software was used for, in fact there are perfectly legitimate reasons for government employees to use data scrubbing, it's good security practice for anyone that regularly handles sensitive data. You just assume guilt because it fits your narrative. Get over it already. You're not going to get people to vote Trump with a bunch of paranoid conspiracy theories.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

The FBI said this not Gowdy, Why would you create a thread that you yourself think is BS??

Gowdy was talking about having information citing notes from the FBI  from what I understood. The FBI doesn't seem to have talked about BleachBit publicly.

I don't think the thread is bs. It is obviously convoluted but the interesting point to take away from it is that someone used BleachBit software on the server (according to Gowdy) for whatever reason and the FBI took note in some capacity.

South Carolina Rep. Trey Gowdy revealed the information during an interview on Thursday on Fox News. Citing notes that FBI investigators took during their probe of Clinton’s private email server, Gowdy said that Clinton’s team used open source software called BleachBit to remove tens of thousands of emails from her server.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/25/hillary-clinton-deleted-emails-using-program-intended-to-prevent-recovery/

8 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

A very strange post for the OP of this thread to make.:woot: Maybe this belongs in the Joke section..

On occasions I do like the topics to be funny .. i would rather be posting crazy amusing conspiracy theories on nazi aliens... but we have Hillary ; )

1 minute ago, Javik said:

Where's the law that specifies that they shouldn't delete emails? I don't see what's bad about government employees deleting emails, once they've served their purpose they just take up space.

You're right, I mean we know it's physically impossible to set up Exchange on hardware you personally own.

It's rare for any modern email server to store emails as single files, they're almost always stored in a database. Nobody knows what the scrubbing software was used for, in fact there are perfectly legitimate reasons for government employees to use data scrubbing, it's good security practice for anyone that regularly handles sensitive data. You just assume guilt because it fits your narrative. Get over it already. You're not going to get people to vote Trump with a bunch of paranoid conspiracy theories.

19 minutes ago, kjordan2001 said:

Tell it to this member.

I never said it was impossible, just unlikely. You're clinging to it to perpetuate your conspiracy delusion.

Find better things to complain about. There's enough legitimately bad about shillary that you don't have to make this absolute nonsense up.

• Like 2

I repeat why start a thread that you know/think is BS? One does not normally post a topic and then post that the Topic is crap. This is nothing but a waste of time and space on Neowin's server.

2 minutes ago, Javik said:

I never said it was impossible, just unlikely. You're clinging to it to perpetuate your conspiracy delusion.

Find better things to complain about. There's enough legitimately bad about shillary that you don't have to make this absolute nonsense up.

No the OP is the one delusional . The OP said his OP was BS.

Just now, Gary7 said:

I repeat why start a thread that you know/think is BS? One does not normally post a topic and then post that the Topic is crap. This is nothing but a waste of time and space on Neowin's server.

These threads go into a database as well (which means Hillary won't be able to scrub them, sorry). It'll waste more bandwidth than disk space ;)

And sometimes these threads serve other purposes: Like highlighting the abject insanity and desperation of the far right.

5 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Again .. I do not think that it is bs or crap. Whilst the sources are via 2nd hand the info about the tool is interesting.

There are worse topics... 

• Like 2

I don't see any problems with this. The problem is that she explicitly used a private server to avoid the freedom of information laws, and she deleted emails that had a subpoena for their turnover. Other than that I don't see relevance in this topic.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

I don't see any problems with this. The problem is that she explicitly used a private server to avoid the freedom of information laws, and she deleted emails that had a subpoena for their turnover. Other than that I don't see relevance in this topic.

This is true but the OP  condemns it in the third post. Very strange.

48 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

With this.

59 minutes ago, Eternal Tempest said:

52 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

This is true but the OP  condemns it in the third post. Very strange.

With this.

You can mention me by name .. I am not candyman.

Read above. I was responding to the questionable use of the tool and the people in the video obviously having no technological clue.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FunkyMike said:

You can mention me by name .. I am not candyman.

Read above. I was responding to the questionable use of the tool and the people in the video obviously having no technological clue.

OK Funky Maybe I overreacted , it just through me off. This entire election is nuts.

18 minutes ago, warwagon said:

So if you are secretary of state and someone sends you a stupid FW:FW:FW:FW email, you can't delete it?

Not if it is marked classified and that's a fact Jack.:laugh:

Just now, Gary7 said:

OK Funky Maybe I overreacted , it just through me off. This entire election is nuts.

Its alright dude .. its all love. :)

I would much rather see more threads on good alien / UFO topics but even that is hard to come by these days.