Anniversary Update Causes 100% CPU Usage

So today I went to the Windows Update thing and decided to do a manual check for updates.  It found update 1607, the anniversary update I'm guessing.  I installed it, and I ended up having to roll back and uninstall it.  I have installed it on my wife's PC with no issues.

I'm running an HP Pavilion laptop; AMD A10 8700P APU, 8 GB of RAM.  Pre-update, everything works amazing.  I can do some light gaming, video editing, it's an amazing experience.  I performed the update, and noticed that the system seemed a little sluggish compared to before.  I tried to start up Metal Gear Solid V - Phantom Pain since I've been playing through it, and it was completely unplayable.  15-20 fps at the title screen, and inconsistent/jittery at that.  Power Options profile is set to "High Performance", computer is plugged into an AC outlet and battery is fully charged.  Game was running at the same settings as before.  Outside of the game, the entire system felt extremely sluggish, like it was constantly under load, so I brought up the task manager.  There was 8 or 10 instances of rundll32 running in the processes tab and CPU usage never left 100%.  I double checked and no unusual or non-essential applications were running; the rundll32 processes were eating up all of the CPU time.  Cortana is currently not set up, although there is a cortana process running in the background.  I did a complete shut down (power off) and then started the computer back up fresh, and the issue started all over again.

After a few minutes of poking around, I went to the Windows Update settings and reverted to the previous build and everything is working great again.  Has anybody else had this issue?  I've done some Googling and somebody said to disable Cortana because some bug with it in the anniversary update was causing high CPU usage, but I've never bothered to set up Cortana on my PC in the first place.  I'd like to keep my system up to date with all the currently released security patches, but not at the cost of performance; I still want to actually do stuff with my PC.

2016-08-26.png

I just noticed in that screenshot that the microphone icon in Cortana is illuminated again, indicating she has been re-enabled.  I'm going to try the update again since it's working fine on my wife's laptop and if the issue presents itself again, I'll try disabling Cortana and see if that helps.

I've had this happen on a client's PC. It took around 1.5 hours until all was back to normal. Did you allow your PC 1 to 2 hours to get use to itself? Also, I've also noticed that some applications either need to be repaired or reinstalled (Especially the Graphics Driver). Just be careful reinstalling your AMD graphics driver. AMD has a bad history when updating or reinstalling.

2 hours ago, jesseinsf said:

I've had this happen on a client's PC. It took around 1.5 hours until all was back to normal. Did you allow your PC 1 to 2 hours to get use to itself? Also, I've also noticed that some applications either need to be repaired or reinstalled (Especially the Graphics Driver). Just be careful reinstalling your AMD graphics driver. AMD has a bad history when updating or reinstalling.

It's all good to go now.  It wouldn't show up any more in Windows Update (just kept saying your computer is up to date when I would click "Check for Updates") so I had to go manually download it from Microsoft's website, and now Windows Update is finding additional updates for it.  Everything is running like it's supposed to this time around.  Opened up MGSV and all is well so as soon as I get some sleep I can get back to that and Batman Arkham City; two games I've wanted to play for ages and never got around to buying them on console, so I picked them up on Steam when I got this PC.

Have you checked it for a UEFI update?  These APUs can be a little twitchy from what I've noticed (only had experience with one, mind you.)  Kaveri wasn't quite the same but definitely also needed the updates on most systems.

Ran great last night, but started it up today and it's doing the same thing, about 98% CPU usage from 3 instances of rundll32 and 90+% disk usage.

Sounds like it's indexing the drive, how big is it? Like mentioned earlier, let it run for ~12 hours and see what happens 

Just now, Anibal P said:

Sounds like it's indexing the drive, how big is it? Like mentioned earlier, let it run for ~12 hours and see what happens 

Drive is 1 TB, only 5400 RPM though, so that could be it.  I did a full shut down last night after the update seemed to succeed, so I'll just leave it alone for a while and see what happens.  Disk usage has dropped off to normal, 6% right now, but CPU usage is locked at 100% with now 5 iterations of rundll32.

I think my system has been bricked. Tried to revert to an earlier build using Windows Update and I've been staring at this swirly icon for 2-3 hours now. Hard drive light is off. I can hit ctrl+alt+del and hit shut down or restart, but that doesn't seem to change anything. I tried to use the built in system recovery options so I could get to system restore but it's basically telling me my system recovery partition is missing or corrupt. F8 and Enter does nothing, and Escape just sends me to a boot menu where I can choose to load the OS of swirly balls or the corrupted system recovery partition. There's also apparently no such thing as safe mode any more.

WP_20160827_002.jpg

Really not trying to do a reformat, it would take me a whole day just to recover all of my files, game saves, etc. I've got backups, but transferring a terabyte of anything takes a while.

WP_20160827_001.jpg

Just remembered I had a Windows 10 install DVD that I had downloaded from MS and burned. I was able to get into recovery options with that disc and have initiated a system restore. Will update on how it goes.

System restore said it succeeded, but made no difference. Doing a system reset now where it should be reinstalling Windows and keeping my personal files. Having to use the Windows 10 install disc since the recovery partition isn't working.

3 hours ago, Gerowen said:

I think my system has been bricked. Tried to revert to an earlier build using Windows Update and I've been staring at this swirly icon for 2-3 hours now. Hard drive light is off. I can hit ctrl+alt+del and hit shut down or restart, but that doesn't seem to change anything. I tried to use the built in system recovery options so I could get to system restore but it's basically telling me my system recovery partition is missing or corrupt. F8 and Enter does nothing, and Escape just sends me to a boot menu where I can choose to load the OS of swirly balls or the corrupted system recovery partition. There's also apparently no such thing as safe mode any more.

WP_20160827_002.jpg

KI

WP_20160827_002.jpg

If this is similar to the 0xc000000d error, (it brings up the same screen) is there a TPM 1.2 chip/module in this??

Because 0xc000000d came up when I had a TPM 1.2 module.

TPM was enabled in the BIOS. But I wasnt using Bitlocker.

I would say this is MS's way of telling  you to update to TPM 2. Win10 AU kills TPM 1.2.

I had to disable TPM in the BIOS to fix it. Then I removed the TPM module, and replaced it with a TPM 2 module 

Is TPM on in the BIOS. If it is you'll get it soon the same error

It's in one of the updates after the AU update that causes it. I dont think 14393.0 causes it

It's on in the BIOS and enabled in win10.  I did get a similar error, but only when I tried to move my SSDs to an old controller card I had lying around.  But that was pointless anyway so...everything's back the way it was and working fine.

Well you're one of the lucky ones for now then. Doesnt mean it wont happen later tho

I fixed it by removing the 1.2 module,  and chucking an ASUS TPM 2 module in. Now that the ASUS 20 pins have been released

I know thats what caused it on this, because as soon as I disabled the TPM it booted fine. While it was still in  / enabled the same error would come up, but if I pressed reset a few times, it booted into windows.

Now it boot into windows, since I've changed to TPM 2

It may affect certain TPM 1.2 modules / chips I dont know. But I'm pretty sure it affects the ASUS TPM 1.2 modules.

Edited by John.D

Posting this from my cell phone so I apologize for any auto correct spelling mistakes.

It's an HP laptop so I'm not really sure about what version TPM module it does it doesn't have; but that blue screen only appears when I try to use the built in system recovery partition (F11 at boot). The first reset appeared to succeed but when it restarted I got the same swirly balls of doom for like 3 hours. Booted a Debian live CD and backed up my personal files to my external drive (mounted the Windows drive read only) and I'm doing a full wipe with a Windows 10 Home disc I had stuck in my CD case. I'm using the "reset" recovery option in the hopes that it'll fix the built in recovery partition or at least keep my activation valid so I don't have to call Microsoft on Monday to keep my activation valid. If this doesn't work I'll just do a complete reformat with the install disc and then activate it.

Edit: Yes I remembered to re-enable UEFI after using Debian to back up my files.

WP_20160828_001.jpg

21 hours ago, John.D said:

I know Win 10 AU causes 100% disk usage. This is caused by the Notifications. Turn them off. This fixes that

You can turn off Windows 10's notifications?

Settings/notifications

46 minutes ago, Gerowen said:

Posting this from my cell phone so I apologize for any auto correct spelling mistakes.

It's an HP laptop so I'm not really sure about what version TPM module it does it doesn't have; but that blue screen only appears when I try to use the built in system recovery partition (F11 at boot). The first reset appeared to succeed but when it restarted I got the same swirly balls of doom for like 3 hours. Booted a Debian live CD and backed up my personal files to my external drive (mounted the Windows drive read only) and I'm doing a full wipe with a Windows 10 Home disc I had stuck in my CD case. I'm using the "reset" recovery option in the hopes that it'll fix the built in recovery partition or at least keep my activation valid so I don't have to call Microsoft on Monday to keep my activation valid. If this doesn't work I'll just do a complete reformat with the install disc and then activate it.

Edit: Yes I remembered to re-enable UEFI after using Debian to back up my files.

WP_20160828_001.jpg

Soon find out if TPM is in the BIOS and it's enabled disable it. If you dont use bitlocker

All is well now after doing the "erase everything" reset since the "keep my stuff" reset didn't do anything. I haven't tried booting the factory restore partition, but even though I used a stock Windows 10 DVD, it restored the image from the restore partition on the hard drive because it has all the original crapware installed like the 30 day trial of McAfee, Wild Tangent games, etc. Windows is activated and has the HP logo in system properties too.

I think what I may do is make a Clonezilla image of the drive, then install all the updates with none of my personal applications on it. I'm curious if the issue is related to something I installed, so I'll try it with bone stock Windows. If it jacks up again I'll restore the Clonezilla image.

WP_20160828_002.jpg

So the issue is back.  Clean install of Windows 10 and all I did was install the anniversary update.  No other 3rd party applications installed when the issue started presenting itself.  I have since installed a few tidbits like Notepad++, 7zip and Chrome, but I know they're not the cause of the issue since it existed on a fresh install with nothing else present.

Upon downloading and running Sysinternals Process Explorer I found that the rundll32 is being called by aeinv.dll, the "Application Experience Program Inventory Component", and I found a Microsoft support topic from a user running Windows 8 having the same issue.  The support tech recommended they remove 3rd party applications, but mine existed on a clean install with no 3rd party apps.  They also recommended they check the system for corrupt system files.  I don't "think" that is my issue since I've been through this 3 or 4 times, with at least one clean install, and it always presents itself after installing the anniversary update.

( Link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/aeinvdll-hangs/559071a4-9a9e-4f1a-87bf-26200e3d73e3?auth=1 )

I'm trying to find a way to disable this "Application Experience Program Inventory Component" but I can't find a service using it to stop or disable.  When I was just Googling for stuff related to rundll32 I didn't really find much, but knowing it's being called by this aeinv.dll has led me to some more valuable information.  I will update this topic as I find more information.  I'm trying not to spam the forum, but this is a serious issue so if I can figure it out, maybe it'll help somebody else in the future.

process-explorer.png

21 minutes ago, Gerowen said:

So the issue is back.  Clean install of Windows 10 and all I did was install the anniversary update.  No other 3rd party applications installed when the issue started presenting itself. 

I can see iTunes, HP CoolSense, Cyberlink, just in that screenshot alone. I'd start by uninstalling those apps, especially things that add virtual device drivers to the mix like CoolSense and iTunes (Bonjour networking component)

Check this also - http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3091495/fix-runtime-broker-high-cpu-usage-error-windows.html

Do you have a lot of photos on that drive?