Anniversary Update Causes 100% CPU Usage

21 minutes ago, xendrome said:

I can see iTunes, HP CoolSense, Cyberlink, just in that screenshot alone. I'd start by uninstalling those apps, especially things that add virtual device drivers to the mix like CoolSense and iTunes (Bonjour networking component)

Check this also - http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3091495/fix-runtime-broker-high-cpu-usage-error-windows.html

Do you have a lot of photos on that drive?

Those all came with the laptop so they got reinstalled when I did a factory reset.  They didn't cause issues before, but I'll remove them.  iTunes isn't installed, but Apple's "Bounjour" service is for whatever reason.  I've found a topic online where a guy was talking about disabling the customer experience improvement program by disabling certain scheduled events.  There's no GUI for the customer experience improvement program for me to uncheck a box, and the group policy editor method I've found on other sites doesn't work on the Home edition of Windows because apparently if you don't pay for the enterprise edition of Windows you don't need to have complete control over the computer you paid for...

It usually takes 5-10 minutes for the rundll32 processes to start popping up, which lends further credence to the possibility that it's a scheduled event that runs when I log onto the machine.  I left it installing the anniversary update when I slept last night and it was sitting at the logon screen when I got up.  It ran fine at first, but 5 minutes or so after I logged on it started racking up one instance after the other of rundll32 .  I've disabled one of the scheduled events and I'm basically just wasting time and staying logged in to see if that resolves the issue before I make any more changes.  I don't want to go applying 4 or 5 "fixes" at once and then not know which one actually worked.

I've been holding off on updating to the AU simply because of all the issues. My laptop updated automatically, and now it uses 95% of the memory idle, I can't game on it, and my homework has come to a stand still cause of it. :(

6 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

I've been holding off on updating to the AU simply because of all the issues. My laptop updated automatically, and now it uses 95% of the memory idle, I can't game on it, and my homework has come to a stand still cause of it. :(

This is by design... Lets see your details and performance tab in Task Manager.

19 minutes ago, Gerowen said:

Those all came with the laptop so they got reinstalled when I did a factory reset.  

Why don't you use the Windows 10 Media Creation tool and do a clean install of the AU?

16 minutes ago, xendrome said:

This is by design... Lets see your details and performance tab in Task Manager.

Why don't you use the Windows 10 Media Creation tool and do a clean install of the AU?

Looks like it needed some time to work out it's kinks. I just went into my spare bedroom and looked at it, it's using about 15% idle. I'll keep monitoring it over the next week and come back if things get funky again.

I think I've managed to solve the problem by disabling two scheduled tasks.  I disabled them one at a time with a restart in between; disabling the first one reduced the number of instances to 1, but after 5 or 10 minutes I still had one instance of rundll32 called by aeinv.dll using between 30% and 50% CPU time.  I found and disabled a 2nd service related to the customer experience improvement program that was listed in the "running tasks" area of the task scheduler, and that seems to have eliminated the last of the rogue rundll32 processes.  It has been sitting here for about 20 minutes now; I went and took a shower, bathed one of the kids, and ate a sandwich, and still no rogue processes.  I'll let it sit for an hour or so before I post what I disabled because if it doesn't work I don't want to lead people in the wrong direction.  Both of the tasks/processes I disabled were from Microsoft though and not related to any 3rd party applications.

Edit: Nope, one popped up at some point, 40% CPU usage, rundll32 called by aeinv.dll , :-(

Edited by Gerowen

On 8/27/2016 at 2:50 AM, Gerowen said:

So today I went to the Windows Update thing and decided to do a manual check for updates.  It found update 1607, the anniversary update I'm guessing.  I installed it, and I ended up having to roll back and uninstall it.

Same with me. :/

17 hours ago, John.D said:

Because 0xc000000d came up when I had a TPM 1.2 module.

TPM was enabled in the BIOS. But I wasnt using Bitlocker.

I would say this is MS's way of telling  you to update to TPM 2. Win10 AU kills TPM 1.2.

I had to disable TPM in the BIOS to fix it. Then I removed the TPM module, and replaced it with a TPM 2 module 

Where in the BIOS is TPM, and how did you replace it ?

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

I tried this.

The installation got so far, then upchucked when it couldn't find drivers needed.

I went back to my OEM dvd to Reinstall.

57 minutes ago, Gerowen said:

Edit: Nope, one popped up at some point, 40% CPU usage, rundll32 called by aeinv.dll , :-(

aeinv.dll is a library file of the Application Experience Inventory in Windows.

Non-system processes like aeinv.dll originate from software you installed on your system. Since most applications store data in your system's registry, it is likely that over time your registry suffers fragmentation and accumulates invalid entries which can affect your PC's performance. It is recommended that you check your registry to identify slowdown issues.

Application Experience investigates the compatibility of older programs and searches for updates for known problems. Disabling this service will
not harm your computer. However, before disabling the service, I would suggest you to run run the SFC scan and check if it repairs the dll file. 

Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.
To do this, follow these steps: 
1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
More Infoermation about SFC scan can be found in this document:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

NOTE:

I would run a Registry cleaning using CCleaner [free program] to see if that helps.

I would also go into Privacy settings and turn off any setting that sends info to Microsoft.

Edited by Hum

6 minutes ago, Hum said:

I tried this.

The installation got so far, then upchucked when it couldn't find drivers needed.

I went back to my OEM dvd to Reinstall.

Could you be any less technical in that answer? What defines "upchucked"? What error did you get?

15 hours ago, John.D said:

Here's the same 0xc000000f error

Looks like it has something to do with secureboot, UEFI, and TPM. You may have to clear all the keys to fix it

It's very similar to what I got - 0xc000000d . Which can also happen on the surface. If bitlocker , or TPM is enabled

If Secure Boot is enabled (which is HP's default in their UEFI systems), that can trigger it as well (that is, in fact, by design).  What I mean is, in ANY system with EFI security (which is where Secure Boot itself is defined), it is, in fact, designed to stop unauthorized installations in their tracks.  In other words, it's Secure Boot doing it's job.  That is whether TPM is installed or not.  (Contrary to some schools of thought, Secure Boot does NOT require TPM - not when it comes to UEFI.)

23 minutes ago, Hum said:

aeinv.dll is a library file of the Application Experience Inventory in Windows.

Non-system processes like aeinv.dll originate from software you installed on your system. Since most applications store data in your system's registry, it is likely that over time your registry suffers fragmentation and accumulates invalid entries which can affect your PC's performance. It is recommended that you check your registry to identify slowdown issues.

Application Experience investigates the compatibility of older programs and searches for updates for known problems. Disabling this service will
not harm your computer. However, before disabling the service, I would suggest you to run run the SFC scan and check if it repairs the dll file. 

Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.
To do this, follow these steps: 
1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
More Infoermation about SFC scan can be found in this document:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

NOTE:

I would run a Registry cleaning using CCleaner [free program] to see if that helps.

I would also go into Privacy settings and turn off any setting that sends info to Microsoft.

SFC is scanning now, CCleaner registry scan ran, privacy settings all turned off except the "Diagnostic and Usage Data" one because there's no option to turn it off completely, just "Basic", "Enhanced", and "Full".  Progress was made by disabling the scheduled tasks that I did because I'm now down to only one running instances of rundll32 (the one referencing aeinv.dll), but that one instance is still using 30%-50% of my CPU time non-stop.  That's better than having 7 or 8 instances holding it at 100%, but that is still an unnecessary waste of CPU time and makes some of the games I like to play, and had been playing pre-update with no issue, a bit jittery.  If these steps fix the issue, I'll start re-enabling those scheduled tasks and see if it presents itself again, or if disabling those tasks was just a wasted attempt to treat a symptom instead of the disease.

Don't forget to Restart after cleaning Registry.

Did you look at Task Manager/Start up, and turn off unneeded programs ?  May help.

Not to be paranoid, but W10 supposedly sends reports and copies of your personal files to Microsoft.

I wonder if that is what all that CPU use is .... :shiftyninja:

1 minute ago, Hum said:

Don't forget to Restart after cleaning Registry.

Did you look at Task Manager/Start up, and turn off unneeded programs ?  May help.

Not to be paranoid, but W10 supposedly sends reports and copies of your personal files to Microsoft.

I wonder if that is what all that CPU use is .... :shiftyninja:

I did manually disable the 3rd party stuff like Bonjour, Cyberlink Youcam, and HP Coolsense, but it still popped up after about a half hour.  Since I have a Clonezilla image of the drive in a good working state, I'm seriously considering either restoring that image and disabling Windows Update, or nuking it in favor of Debian or Ubuntu if this doesn't fix the issue.  I shouldn't have to waste my time trying to fix an operating system that I paid money for when it was broken by an officially released update by the people who made it.  The only concern I have is getting the Windows games I have to run properly in Wine and the fact that I've read that the Radeon R6 8700P graphics in this machine aren't compatible with the Gnome desktop because either the hardware or AMD's Linux driver doesn't support the "EGL" interface, and I really like Gnome 3 after I got used to it, :-(  I would set up dual boot except I don't feel like screwing around with the UEFI.  I've got a 32 GB SD card laying here I could install Debian on and see how it works without bothering the internal drive.

ugh.png

I shouldn't have to waste my time trying to fix an operating system that I paid money for when it was broken by an officially released update by the people who made it.

I hope Microsoft is listening. :yes:

You'd think after 20-plus years of creating operating systems, they could put one out that had few problems.

3 minutes ago, Hum said:

I hope Microsoft is listening. :yes:

You'd think after 20-plus years of creating operating systems, they could put one out that had few problems.

I've heard this every year for the last 20 years of MS releasing OSes. I bet I hear it for 20 more. 

Tried removing Cyberlinks scheduled OS tasks?  it's a little overcomplicated (Autoruns can do it) but that stuff is a plague on win10

I'd also try a different AV - http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/

I also agree with the checking for corrupt system files and the HD itself.  For some bizarre reason my HD on my HP laptop was going about ten times slower than it should've, I threw a 32GB SSD in it and it's crazy fast...I've always been an SSD fan but usually hard drives are at least usable even on laptops. o.o  I'm giving up on HP finally.

26 minutes ago, LostCat said:

Tried removing Cyberlinks scheduled OS tasks?  it's a little overcomplicated (Autoruns can do it) but that stuff is a plague on win10

I'd also try a different AV - http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/

I also agree with the checking for corrupt system files and the HD itself.  For some bizarre reason my HD on my HP laptop was going about ten times slower than it should've, I threw a 32GB SSD in it and it's crazy fast...I've always been an SSD fan but usually hard drives are at least usable even on laptops. o.o  I'm giving up on HP finally.

I returned one of these exact laptops and exchanged it for a new one.  They come with Toshiba drives in them, and the first one had reallocated sectors as soon as I got it home.  That's partly Toshiba's fault for shipping a faulty drive and partly HP's fault for not catching it when they assembled the laptop.  That being said, I think that particular laptop had been abused.  The box was beat up a little when I pulled it off the shelf at Wal-Mart and the screen had a small spot in the top left that was brighter than the rest of the screen.

Also, I think the issue may be related to all of the telemetry data that Hum had mentioned turning off.  Something I did before the restart I performed about an hour ago seems to have worked.  I even went and re-enabled all the scheduled tasks I had disabled and still no rogue multiples of rundll32.  The one instance that was running actually stopped on its own about 20 minutes after I turned off all the telemetry options.  I had turned some/most of them off, but I had left a few of them on so that I could get notifications about missed calls and things on my PC since I also have a Windows 8 phone.  The weird thing is that they didn't cause any issues before the anniversary update.  CCleaner did find quite a few registry issues, but at a glance I didn't see any related to the files/processes in question, mostly just orphaned file extension associations and such; sfc didn't find any corrupted system files, but 20 minutes or so after turning off ALL of the telemetry options the one running instance of rundll32 went away, and that had never happened.  Before when it would start popping up it would just keep duplicating over and over again until I'd have 8 or 9 copies and 100% CPU usage (reference screenshots in earlier posts on this topic).  I tried just letting it sit overnight with the bottom elevated for ventilation to see if it would eventually finish whatever it was doing and when I'd come back in the morning they would still be running.  After it went away earlier I rebooted and it still hasn't come back.  It sucks that I ended up having to do a re-install because of a failed attempt to roll back the update, but at least now I know what caused the issue and how to fix it.

Now because I was impatient and didn't feel like backing up all my Steam data when the CPU was already maxed out (and forgot about it when I used Debian to grab my documents/pictures/music and things), I get the fun of downloading over 500 GB worth of games at 12 Mbps, lol.

2016-08-28 (1).png

Ugh I feel your pain I do that way too often :D  Sometimes I just want to focus on a few games so I get rid of the rest of them...then a few weeks or months later end up trying to get them all back again

Try running Process Monitor

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

To maybe dive in a little deeper into the rundll32 and see what is actually taking up all your cpu.

Also with process monitor try turning on auto scroll and show system file activity or registry activity.

then see what the most common thing wizing by is. After a while you can turn off auto scroll so you can study the list.

26 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Try running Process Monitor

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

To maybe dive in a little deeper into the rundll32 and see what is actually taking up all your cpu.

Also with process monitor try turning on auto scroll and show system file activity or registry activity.

then see what the most common thing wizing by is. After a while you can turn off auto scroll so you can study the list.

Got it running, got it in some screenshots in earlier posts.  I'm pretty sure I've discovered it was the telemetry options in Windows 10.  I've seen it appear once or twice over the past couple hours, but it was only briefly at 3% CPU time instead of 30%-50% or 100%, :-)

Gerowen, I think the reinstall you did was not a "true" clean installation. To be sure, download the WIndows Media Creation Tool and burn the ISO either on a DVD or USB thumb drive. Backup your stuff (I'm sure you already did) and then boot from the Windows 10 ISO.

When it's time to select where to install Windows, just nuke any existing partition and tell Windows 10 to install itself in the unallocated space. After the installation, WIndows will install your drivers and you should be good to go. Your PC is now free of HP or other third party crapware.

7 hours ago, Le Passant said:

Gerowen, I think the reinstall you did was not a "true" clean installation. To be sure, download the WIndows Media Creation Tool and burn the ISO either on a DVD or USB thumb drive. Backup your stuff (I'm sure you already did) and then boot from the Windows 10 ISO.

When it's time to select where to install Windows, just nuke any existing partition and tell Windows 10 to install itself in the unallocated space. After the installation, WIndows will install your drivers and you should be good to go. Your PC is now free of HP or other third party crapware.

It's all g2g now.  My goal was to not have to worry about re-activating my Windows install; since I don't have a license key for the copy that came on the computer.  All is working fine, and I only did the reinstall in the first place because the attempt to roll back the update failed and left me at the spinning balls of doom; thanks though!