Kaby Lake will stop you from recording video streams

16 minutes ago, exotoxic said:

Not me, the content owners. It is their property they decided what people who purchase a license can and cannot do with it.

Which means a CPU has NO place deciding this for the consumer.

• Like 2

Will it now?

I remember back in 2006 how people were swearing from the rooftops that Vista included this super secret DRM that would detect and block the ability to play movies download from the internet. How NVidia was putting in special chips and drivers on their cards that would be doing the same thing.

What actually happened in reality? None of that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Who are you to determine if a consumer's actions are illegal? This could also hamper legit things. Again, the freedom lost is the lack of choice.

What type of legal activities could this prevent?

1 hour ago, th3rEsa said:

One obvious example is the right to make private copies, active in some legislations especially in Europe.

Uhh, thought that only applied to content you purchased, such as DVDs. Didn't think it would apply to streamed content.

So - maybe I didnt see it.  Does the new tech stop the ability to save, or just to stream after being saved, or does it cut off the ability to - lets say steam Netflix to multiple devices ?

Then you have the question of, once again, the prevention of streaming something you purchased - if you are simply streaming it to another device in your LAN - then....

Im sorry if this was explained in the article - 

On 31/08/2016 at 8:34 PM, th3rEsa said:

You can purchase streams just like you can purchase DVDs. It's only slightly harder to keep them with you.

I think you need to spend some time reading the license terms of those streams you think you're "purchasing", because if there's one thing you are NOT doing, is "purchasing" it.