Windows 10 start menu problems

Having annoying issues with the windows 10 start menu...

1) Folders on start menu side when the user folder is moved do not work..

• Go to your profile folder, move the location of the user folder off the system drive (for me the SSD system drive is small, so I moved my music, documents, favorites, pictures, videos folders to map to my D:\ drive that has a lot more storage using the folder properties, location tab, fill in a new path and move button, apply and done
  • After a reboot (or maybe a couple?) the left side folder links when clicked do not work and give you a location not found dialog...... yet any other links to those user folders in the system point to the correct location fine. the start menu keeps looking for the default on system drive path even though they were moved
  •  

2) Start menu annoyances with the programs list

1. I have Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 installed, links to VS 2013 and VS 2015 show up in the program list and pinned to my tile area.
  2. I needed to install SQL Server 2013 Business Intelligence Studio, which uses VS2013's IDE as a shell...
  3. After installing the links to VS2013 are completely gone in the all program list and the pinned area...
  4. Manually navigation to the old start menu folder for all users still has the items in it "Visual Studio 2013" and the new "SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2013" that SQL Server BI studio installed, the problem is they both point to the same executable! "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"
  5. The start menu for some reason interperts this as only one progam and doesn't add it to the list of programs for Visual Studio 2013, but adds the SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2013..... so it removes one link with a different name.,... annoying!

btw I submitted this via feedback and it was of course ignored during the last beta period..... then removed after anniversary update was released....... issue is still there......

On 9/8/2016 at 4:10 PM, Eric said:

Hmm. I moved my video, music and download folders to a secondary drive and the link icons work fine. Maybe try redoing it?

I'm getting this result on 5 systems, it works at first but after a few reboots it forgets where the folder is at and goes back to the default folder path on the root drive..... I'm also getting this on my work PC same problem but that's with roaming profile folders there, home systems are just moved to a secondary drive

That sounds weird, I too have my stuff set to another drive (photos, videos, documents etc) and the way ive done it was change the location from right clicking the pinned folder in question to change the location. 
Haven't heard of anyone else having the problems your having though where it forgets... could it be a 3rd party program rewriting the registry values back to default?

On 8/31/2016 at 8:38 AM, neufuse said:

btw I submitted this via feedback and it was of course ignored during the last beta period..... then removed after anniversary update was released....... issue is still there......

I doubt that they even read that stuff. I reported many issues that were still broken two builds later. They released build 14905 with more known issues than fixes. No builds at all this week as they are fixing something.

If you expected Microsoft to drop a new Insider Redstone 2 build this week, don’t hold your breath. According to a new post on the Windows 10 Feedback Hub, the team is currently busy updating the services used to monitor and deliver builds to Windows Insiders. Once that work is done, the company expect to release the next Redstone 2 build to Windows Insiders as soon as next week.

In the meantime, the Windows Insider engineering team also explains that any changes to your Windows Insider ring settings will not be taken into account until Microsoft is done upgrading its services. In other words, switching to another Insider ring won’t do anything for now. You can get more details in the full post below:

Hello Windows Insiders,

We are performing some upgrades this week to our services that are used to approve and monitor builds from the Development Branch to our Windows Insiders. Once the upgrade is complete, just as we flight the OS through the rings, we will be flighting the service upgrades through the internal rings first. We won’t have any new builds from the Development Branch for you this week, but plan to return to schedule next week.

As part of this upgrade, any changes to the Windows Insider ring settings via Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program will not take effect until the service upgrade has finished. If you are setting up a new device or changing rings, your device will not receive new builds available to that ring until the upgrade is complete.

In the meantime, keep sending us feedback on any issues you run into on the latest Insider Preview builds via Feedback Hub.

As a reminder, the latest Windows 10 Redstone 2 build is the build 14915 that was pushed to Windows Insiders in the Fast Ring a week ago. This latest build was not as stable as the previous ones as we reported that it could kill Wifi for some users. We hope that this issue will be fixed in the next Insider build.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/no-new-builds-week-microsoft-upgrades-windows-insiders-services

When the next Win 10 Release is out , I am getting off of this program for good.  I burned a Iso that I made from an ESD and tried to do a clean install, it failed. Said the ISO was corrupt. I found that if you move something from one folder to another it suddenly becomes useless.

I've encountered the issue where it only displays the most recent icon if two or more shortcuts point to the same executable. Baffling design choice.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:24 PM, Eric said:

I don't think he's talking about a preview build. I don't use them either.

I'm not, just release builds... but strangely the last cumulative update I just installed and they are working again.....

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:03 AM, Alejandro779 said:

Ok, but not the one true. If supported, no more things will happens

Aliens already arriv.......... 

uh what?

2 minutes ago, neufuse said:

I'm not, just release builds... but strangely the last cumulative update I just installed and they are working again.....

There seem to be a number of bugs similar to this in the AU. I hope they get them resolved soon. :(

Ignore the weird alien post above, I'm still trying to figure out what it is, too. :D

On 9/9/2016 at 5:12 PM, neufuse said:

I'm getting this result on 5 systems, it works at first but after a few reboots it forgets where the folder is at and goes back to the default folder path on the root drive..... I'm also getting this on my work PC same problem but that's with roaming profile folders there, home systems are just moved to a secondary drive

Are you moving the User folder itself?  I have my Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos folders all pointing to other drives, and the Start Menu works fine.  Have you tried (I'm sure you have) unchecking them from within settings and then checking them again?  That is odd.  

13 minutes ago, devHead said:

Are you moving the User folder itself?  I have my Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos folders all pointing to other drives, and the Start Menu works fine.  Have you tried (I'm sure you have) unchecking them from within settings and then checking them again?  That is odd.  

here's exactly how I do it, which seems like it's the way it is supposed to be done based on how the UI is made

go the your user folder (c:\users\{username}\) right click on a user folder (Ex: documents) and select properties. In the properties window for user folders there is a location tab, switch to that and click move, select the new folder, apply and close.

that's all I've ever done since like windows xp? to do this.

15 hours ago, neufuse said:

here's exactly how I do it, which seems like it's the way it is supposed to be done based on how the UI is made

go the your user folder (c:\users\{username}\) right click on a user folder (Ex: documents) and select properties. In the properties window for user folders there is a location tab, switch to that and click move, select the new folder, apply and close.

that's all I've ever done since like windows xp? to do this.

Ah, okay; yep that's what I do too.  Do you select 'Yes' when it asks if you want to move your old documents to the new location?  I always say yes, that way there are not two locations it's pointing to.

31 minutes ago, devHead said:

Ah, okay; yep that's what I do too.  Do you select 'Yes' when it asks if you want to move your old documents to the new location?  I always say yes, that way there are not two locations it's pointing to.

yep, back in windows 7 sometimes though selecting yes somehow lead to having the old folder still there but moving the contents... always seemed buggy

24 minutes ago, neufuse said:

yep, back in windows 7 sometimes though selecting yes somehow lead to having the old folder still there but moving the contents... always seemed buggy

Yeah, I remember having that glitch as well.  

52 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

This is why I use libraries for this sort of thing since they've been available. Much more reliable.

libraries doesn't move your default save location to the new path though for applications that say point me to the default location for say pictures or documents, which some programs use without asking you where to store data (ex: my architecture software automatically puts all it's data in the user documents folder, which is about 20GB of data just to run the program, I don't want that on C:)

3 hours ago, neufuse said:

libraries doesn't move your default save location to the new path though for applications that say point me to the default location for say pictures or documents, which some programs use without asking you where to store data (ex: my architecture software automatically puts all it's data in the user documents folder, which is about 20GB of data just to run the program, I don't want that on C:)

Oh right I never considered that as I've never come across a program which stores that much in C:\Users\%USERNAME% but I take your point.

Even if you make it the default save location in libraries, I'm assuming the application doesn't respect it & that their are also no options in the application its self to let you change it.

18 hours ago, Vince800 said:

Oh right I never considered that as I've never come across a program which stores that much in C:\Users\%USERNAME% but I take your point.

Even if you make it the default save location in libraries, I'm assuming the application doesn't respect it & that their are also no options in the application its self to let you change it.

Said application asks the shell give me the user documents folder and the path that windows returns is the path that either is the default based on the variable CSIDL_MYDOCUMENTS which points to where ever you specified the location of the documents folder to be... so you can at least specific the location by moving the folder where you want it... but that's it