Cat6 Bulk Cable Purchase

Anyone know a good cable company to buy bulk cables from? I buy 1,000ft of cat6 and do custom cables for friends and family. I no longer have my box from the last batch I bought, and it seems as if NewEgg has lost my order history since 2007. I'm looking for 1,000ft White, and the other lengths I need in colors I can find on my own.

Any suggestions?

Just now, Circaflex said:

Amazon's isn't high quality, though...

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Amazon's isn't high quality, though...

Says who? You can find all qualities on Amazon. I merely linked to two that I found. It's funny you bring up quality, then say to use monoprice. You do realize monoprice cables are generally cheap generic cables too right? What an odd comment to make.

6 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Monoprice, mate. Get ALL my cables there.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12787

I second this. I've been buying cables from monoprice for 4 years now and including all the bulk ethernet cable i bought/buy from then, none of my cables have died yet.

I've had retail bought cables and 'high quality' cables bought locally go bad over monoprice cables.

21 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Says who? You can find all qualities on Amazon. I merely linked to two that I found. It's funny you bring up quality, then say to use monoprice. You do realize monoprice cables are generally cheap generic cables too right? What an odd comment to make.

Say what you believe. I've bought cables from monoprice for YEARS and never had a problem. Cheap generic? sha right....

14 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Say what you believe. I've bought cables from monoprice for YEARS and never had a problem. Cheap generic? sha right....

Again, I just don't understand your original comment. I have bought cables from amazon for YEARS and never had a problem. To just have that blanket statement that Amazon cables are cheap, when there are varying buyers to purchase from resulting in varying quality, just like various qualities available on monoprice. Or were you referring to AmazonBasic cables? I never mentioned their housebrand.

http://www.deepsurplus.com/

Has normally good pricing and selection, monoprice as mentioned as well.  Amazon I have bought cables from here as well not normally as cheap as deep or mono but a blanket statement like amazon cables are cheap is just that a "blanket" statement that is of little use.  Do you mean the amazon basic brand cables are no good or cheaply made?  If so say that not that cables bought on amazon are no good, etc..

I show

Ethernet CAT 6 Stranded Bulk Cable; White 1000ft 550Mhz

ITEM #: CB142-6STR-W

For $125, but that is way more expensive than cat 5E.. Why exactly do you think you need to run 6..  5E works just fine for gig..  You plan on doing 10Ge??

I believe he may be referring to the specific Amazon cables, and not all of them. I bought my last batch from NewEgg a few years ago, I just can't find it on there anymore.

I'll look at monoprice, and check them out there.

4 minutes ago, BudMan said:

http://www.deepsurplus.com/

Has normally good pricing and selection, monoprice as mentioned as well.  Amazon I have bought cables from here as well not normally as cheap as deep or mono but a blanket statement like amazon cables are cheap is just that a "blanket" statement that is of little use.  Do you mean the amazon basic brand cables are no good or cheaply made?  If so say that not that cables bought on amazon are no good, etc..

I show

Ethernet CAT 6 Stranded Bulk Cable; White 1000ft 550Mhz

ITEM #: CB142-6STR-W

For $125, but that is way more expensive than cat 5E.. Why exactly do you think you need to run 6..  5E works just fine for gig..  You plan on doing 10Ge??

No, not doing 10Ge, it's just that all of the cables I have now are Cat6. I just wanted to keep it all the same so I'm not guessing.

Soon as my boss returns, I'm going to see if I can buy the Cat6 Shielded cable we have in the back of our shop. Over 5,000ft of Black, Yellow, Green, Purple, Blue, White, and Grey. None of it's been used, and we won't ever. All our cables are serialized and lengths on it.

Well prices for 6 have come down compared to what they once were..  If he is all cat 6 and wants to maintain that sure.. Just going to cost a bit more, etc.  And if just running gig for sure not needed.  If me I would save a few bucks ;)  Put those few bucks towards another toy ;)

Cables are boring... But if you have money to burn.. Just get these - they are top of the line and on amazon ;)

https://www.amazon.com/1-5m-Audioquest-Diamond-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B0073HHAA6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472675801&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=audioquest+diamon+ethernet

I mean $1200 for 5 feet seems like a fair price ;)

1 hour ago, BinaryData said:

I believe he may be referring to the specific Amazon cables, and not all of them. I bought my last batch from NewEgg a few years ago, I just can't find it on there anymore.

I'll look at monoprice, and check them out there.

No, not doing 10Ge, it's just that all of the cables I have now are Cat6. I just wanted to keep it all the same so I'm not guessing.

seriously...look at monoprice for various lengths and keep a few lengths on hand...for the cost of the cable, it is less time consuming and more accurate than creating your own cable.  When you are talking around $1-2 a cable, you can have quite a bit for the cost of a box of bulk cable and ends.  When you get low, order some more....I am sure you have more cable lengths that you make more than others, so you can bulk up on those and keep the other random ones at a low quantity of say 4 or 6.  

3 minutes ago, sc302 said:

seriously...look at monoprice for various lengths and keep a few lengths on hand...for the cost of the cable, it is less time consuming and more accurate than creating your own cable.  When you are talking around $1-2 a cable, you can have quite a bit for the cost of a box of bulk cable and ends.  When you get low, order some more....I am sure you have more cable lengths that you make more than others, so you can bulk up on those and keep the other random ones at a low quantity of say 4 or 6. 

This is the advice I was given a long time ago. It is generally cheaper, think opportunity cost, to just have pre-made cables on hand. Unless you plan on doing 500ft and 1000ft runs, creating custom cables all the time isn't always the most effective plan. It is fun to crimp your own cables from time to time, and might even impress your friends, but I stopped bothering with that a while ago.

6 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

This is the advice I was given a long time ago. It is generally cheaper, think opportunity cost, to just have pre-made cables on hand. Unless you plan on doing 500ft and 1000ft runs, creating custom cables all the time isn't always the most effective plan. It is fun to crimp your own cables from time to time, and might even impress your friends, but I stopped bothering with that a while ago.

Well the longest you can go without significant loss is 100 meters or 300 ft...so yea, doing a 500 or 1000 foot run will create a lot of issues or an issue of no data reaching the end point.  :p

6 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Well the longest you can go without significant loss is 100 meters or 300 ft...so yea, doing a 500 or 1000 foot run will create a lot of issues or an issue of no data reaching the end point.  :p

touche :laugh:

7 hours ago, sc302 said:

Well yeah, but remember how I asked you about running them inside walls and hiding cables with plastic shielding? Might have been BudMan, but that's the sort of custom lengths I do. I generally don't charge much, I look up the cost of the length that's closest to that, and charge that, so if it's a 41' run, I'll charge them for 2x 20' cables. I just finished cabling a office / warehouse building for my brothers friend. I ran a total of 30 cables for the main area, and the back warehouse area was 5, mostly for phones and APs.

If I'm doing a TOR to Compute or Storage, yeah I generally buy the closest length. However, whenever I buy my house, I'll wire it custom like with jacks in the wall.

6 hours ago, sc302 said:

I knew that! If I have to do a long run like that, I always do 5ft shorter than the 300ft length, so I can put a repeater in there. But honestly, I haven't done more than a 150ft run in a few years. Even in the DataCenters, the longest run I did was 75ft.

8 hours ago, BudMan said:

Well prices for 6 have come down compared to what they once were..  If he is all cat 6 and wants to maintain that sure.. Just going to cost a bit more, etc.  And if just running gig for sure not needed.  If me I would save a few bucks ;)  Put those few bucks towards another toy ;)

Cables are boring... But if you have money to burn.. Just get these - they are top of the line and on amazon ;)

https://www.amazon.com/1-5m-Audioquest-Diamond-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B0073HHAA6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472675801&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=audioquest+diamon+ethernet

I mean $1200 for 5 feet seems like a fair price ;)

Never! That 1200 could go to that Microserver! Or a second one! :D I'll have it next month :)

• Like 2

So this warehouse you ran..  So you just gave them 30 cables made to a specific length or you installed the cables in the walls?  Ie you did a cable drop into a cube or something with a jack?

If your doing the actual work of the install you should be charging them way more than the cost of the cable that is for damn sure.  If your sitting at you house just making up cables to a specific length and giving them to them that is one thing.  But going their figuring out the lengths needed, how to run them, etc. etc.  That is way more involved then hey here is a 41 foot cable you asked for that will be $20 etc..

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2016 at 0:59 AM, goretsky said:

Hello,

Have you checked CableWholesale, Digikey, Mouser or Parts Express?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I'll look into them, so far I'm considering Monoprice and Deepsurplus. Both have decent prices, wondering which will kill me on S&H.

On 8/31/2016 at 2:30 PM, sc302 said:

For the rack in my garage, I plan on picking up pre-terminated cables. Hell, we throw away tons of cables at work, all of our cables are cat6, and cat7. If they aren't labeled with length and a serial number, we toss them. I've picked up a few 7ft orange cables I use for my room right now.

I use custom lengths for runs that require it, I'd rather not have an extra 5' of slack on one of the ends. I'd rather have it ran precisely, with  6" or less of surplus cable.

Now, the question is, how do I cable my garage. i'm going to run PVC Pipe, however running new cables may be a problem.

"For the rack in my garage, I plan on picking up pre-terminated cables"

Huh??  This is when custom cables shine..  So you can get exact lengths need to make it a freaking work of art.  Use of predone cables of specific length make for shabby looking rack even when using the most appropriate length.

3 hours ago, BudMan said:

"For the rack in my garage, I plan on picking up pre-terminated cables"

Huh??  This is when custom cables shine..  So you can get exact lengths need to make it a freaking work of art.  Use of predone cables of specific length make for shabby looking rack even when using the most appropriate length.

You're right, I could, however I wanted to have different colored cables, and since I'm getting FREE cat6/cat7 cables, why not?

Network to Network - White Cables

Management - Green

Network - Blue

Storage - Purple or Yellow

I even thought about doing Fiber because we just threw away 10x 20m LC-LC Fiber, I snagged a 50m and 75m Fiber Cable, not sure what the hell I'm going to do with it. Anyways, just a thought, personally, I don't really care if my rack is messy or dirty, as long as I know what goes to what, I should be fine. But I do understand your point, and will consider it.