Apple R2D2s and some sort of "startup" meme, any ideas?

Thread note:

The word "Troll" was changed to "Ridiculous Reality Distorting Drone" (That's R2D2 for short)

Everyone is responding to this thread to explain why  this new meme consisting of a typical  Reality Distorted Factoid about startups makes no sense.

Of course these endless daily streams of R2D2 turds never make any sense. The puzzle is, why startups?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post:

I am noticing in various comments that Apple trolls/zombies have come up with a new troll  meme where they suggest that "startups use Apple products" or some variation on the idea that new companies starting out are choosing Apple products as some sort of big new trend.

It fits with their traditional play book but what is new is "startups do this or that" as if anyone should care what  some unheard of company is doing, so to my ears it has an extra level of absurdity to it that is just somehow weird.

There will be some discussion and then out of nowhere plopping in like a [insert any animal name here] turd will be "startups are using..."

So how do they post this stuff without holding their noses and why did they all get together to devise this new meme and what does it mean. Did some magazine like "Advertising Today" have an article about how "Startups Influence Consumer Purchasing" or something like that?

Well my startup company is using open source products on Windows. Thunderbird for email, Scribus for page layout, Firefox for browsing/research/web marketing and we're testing other open source programs.

Why? We're just getting started and are paying for everything out of our own pockets, rather than "company funds".

The only Apple products we use are iPhones, and in my case reluctantly.

9 hours ago, DConnell said:

Well my startup company is using open source products on Windows. Thunderbird for email, Scribus for page layout, Firefox for browsing/research/web marketing and we're testing other open source programs.

Why? We're just getting started and are paying for everything out of our own pockets, rather than "company funds".

The only Apple products we use are iPhones, and in my case reluctantly.

Well, that makes sense and I'm sure a statement like "startups use Macs" etc is not based on any reality or fact.

Most of these troll based "factoids" are meant to influence buying decisions and so my big mystery is

1. Why would whatever startups do be expected to influence consumer buying decisions?

2. Why now? I haven't seen this rather bizarre "factoid" before and now it's polluting forums like there is an IRC channel they get together on and come up with these things.

Maybe - some startups in Silicon Valley who get HUGE backing from VCs - they might load up on all the cool mac stuff.

But - every startup I have been with - used garbage until the dream started to become a reality - then the push for better equipment was addressed.

Only exception to this was when my family bought a beer company - we went out and got our marketing girl (the department was 1 girl) - a super nice mac desktop with dual displays - and tons of power... everyone else had HP desktops LOL

5 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Maybe - some startups in Silicon Valley who get HUGE backing from VCs - they might load up on all the cool mac stuff.

But - every startup I have been with - used garbage until the dream started to become a reality - then the push for better equipment was addressed.

Only exception to this was when my family bought a beer company - we went out and got our marketing girl (the department was 1 girl) - a super nice mac desktop with dual displays - and tons of power... everyone else had HP desktops LOL

Yes, very logical and sensible.

I think by definition Apple Trolling will never make sense or be logical since it always emotionally based stuff like "the cool people buy Macs" - I have seen that one countless times for years...

But, "startups" - the meme is obviously being cut n pasted in from some repository these guys keep wherever they hang out but I can't wrap my head around this particular illogical thinking.

i.e. I can understand how a marketing drone would think that "cool people" is influential enough of a concept to send the zombie hordes out to their daily surf of Windows blogs and forums but I can't understand how they are imagining the fake factoid that "startups do this or that" is going to influence consumers, (ignoring the tiny market represented by startup founders.)

3 minutes ago, Hum said:

I thought 'trolling' was when you bad-mouthed a popular product or company ....

In this scenario it's the iSheep trolling with their nonsense and unfunded claims 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Anibal P said:

In this scenario it's the iSheep trolling with their nonsense and unfunded claims 

You meant "unfounded" of course but I've often wondered if the "unfounded" have been somehow "funded" or is the "unfounded" just an "unfunded" volunteer corps?

I think trolling has become an all-inclusive word to simply mean "being a jackass"

I think the geeks start it, then the public gets ahold of it and ruins it.

Like the word "epic"

You would hear it occasionally online, or in a game - someone would use it to describe something amazing, something unbelievably awesome --- then the populace gets wind of it - and its abused, overused and misused.

"Dude this pizza was epic"
"Dude if you grab a 12-pk on the way over - that would be epic of you"
Madison Ave hears of it - and next it is in adult undergarment commercials...

2 hours ago, T3X4S said:

I think trolling has become an all-inclusive word to simply mean "being a jackass"

I think the geeks start it, then the public gets ahold of it and ruins it.

Like the word "epic"

You would hear it occasionally online, or in a game - someone would use it to describe something amazing, something unbelievably awesome --- then the populace gets wind of it - and its abused, overused and misused.

"Dude this pizza was epic"
"Dude if you grab a 12-pk on the way over - that would be epic of you"
Madison Ave hears of it - and next it is in adult undergarment commercials...

I will see if I can edit the thread title to remove the word "troll"

As you say, the meaning is ambiguous and I have a specific meaning in mind and although I don't consider myself a stupid person, I would actually like some help understanding this new meme that either Apple of the "Apple Fan Club" is trying to promote.

So my definition of "Troll" in respect to this topic is the unknown amount of people that actively patrol all of the top Windows sites and blogs for the sole purpose of influencing public perception of Apple products making them appear to be in many cases far more successful and trendy than the reality and they use appeals to emotions like "the cool people do this" and if facts are presented they are often cleverly worded in a manner that takes a lot of research to prove wrong at which point the discussion ends. In the end if you engage with these people it feels as if you had a discussion with a bot. Sooner or later everyone learns to avoid contradicting the little factoid turds they leave lying around everywhere because it is not worth the aggravation and so some sort of legacy of ridiculous assertions litter the internet for Google to find.

I don't know if it is a spontaneous phenomenon or and organized grassroots volunteer effort of zombie fans or if it is covertly funded out of a "black-ops" type budget.

So that's what I mean by "Troll" and I'm sure anyone who is a regular visitor to Windows sites recognizes whatever entity I have just described, which I will now name as "Ridiculous Reality Distorting Drone" (That's R2D2 for short)

All of the above, I have come to accept as part of the background noise, but the new "startups do whatever" as the latest factoid turd is simply puzzling as to how, why and who it is aimed at.

How the hell would startups unless Apple are investing in them use Apple computer they're far more expensive than Windows alternatives.

• Like 3

On 9/4/2016 at 6:30 AM, Son_Of_Dad said:

How the hell would startups unless Apple are investing in them use Apple computer they're far more expensive than Windows alternatives.

Of course. Makes sense. Logical.

But things that make sense is not the puzzle!

Of course all of the R2D2 "facts" never make any sense, but we see them all the time and the reason is obviously to promote certain products and if you see some obviously wrong fact like "nobody cool buys PC's at University, everyone gets an iPad" the reason for dropping that turd in a Windows oriented internet forum is clear.

What is just not clear to me is why those R2D2's think "startups do this ...." is potentially influential to any consumer that could buy a fruity product.

Most consumers don't even know what a startup is. So why this new meme?