The Samsung Note 7 blunder and the argument for removable batteries.

I bet right about now Samsung is wishing the Note 7 had a removable battery . Then it would have been just a battery recall. But nope, can't take the battery out.

On the one hand, this really sucks for Samsung, on the other hand, I'm wondering if the industry as a whole will take notice and maybe start making the batteries removable again. I would GLADLY give up some thinness.

It's also possible to make phones water resistant and still have removable batteries. Personally, I think my LG G3 is the perfect size phone and it has a removable battery.

• 4 weeks later...

With devices becoming more compact, I think more and more OEMs will make phones with non removable batteries.  Apple really has not had much problem over the years. Sounds like the quality check was not very good in Samsung's case.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how I feel about a removable battery. I have always found it useful if my phone gets stuck in a loop. Take the back off, remove the battery, plug it back in and try again. But I've never bought a spare battery for my device, so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if my device didn't have a removable battery. For me, make or break is always to do with having removable storage.

2 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I don't know how I feel about a removable battery. I have always found it useful if my phone gets stuck in a loop. Take the back off, remove the battery, plug it back in and try again. But I've never bought a spare battery for my device, so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if my device didn't have a removable battery. For me, make or break is always to do with having removable storage.

Long press of power typically accomplishes the same as removing battery and putting it back in. 

7 hours ago, Nick H. said:

In both my devices S4  3+ years and LG G3 2+ years and still going... Battery change was a must after two years.  Then again my SO handmedown her 4s to her mum, still holds a charge.

So... I don't know how to feel about removable batteries, in my experience, apparently, removeable batteries, last less than non-removeable... (yes I know they SHOULD be the same batteries, alas, my experience... is another )