My first drone

that's half the budget of the 799 one though. which can be flown with a non GoPro camera, like an SJ4000 or similar, for great 1080p30+ video. 

sure at 100 you're not going to get a photo drone, but you can get a race fpv drone if you're willing to put in some work yourself though. 

35 minutes ago, BudMan said:

True...  But does it fold and come with a backpack :) hehehe

some fold, some come with a backpack if you buy them at the right times at least. more parts to break though ;)

the karma isn't a bad drone, but there are many reasons I would put it further towards the (expensive) "toy" category than the Blade or Quanum Nova. 

Oh well once I move in a couple of weeks and finish all that, maybe I'll finally find the time to finish setting up the new PixHawk clone flight controller on my Discovery style drone. even though I really should get  new frame for it as well, maybe one with a proper body shell... winter and darkness is coming so I'll have lots of inside work time and not so much flying time withe either drones or planes... well except my Pawnee night flyer....

Hey what about this new one - comes with 4k camera, long range if you get the controller, etc..  Looks pretty slick - but might be again a bit higher $ then you wanted to spend

http://petapixel.com/2016/09/27/dji-unveils-mavic-pro-foldable-ultra-portable-camera-drone/

• Like 2

The Mavic is basically a Phantom 4 in a nice new (smaller) shell.  I shall probably be getting one - just need more info (such as does it share the Phantom API).  The light-weight nature of it may not suit the longer exposure photography so much, as it may be a little less stable than the Phantom 4.

The Mavic is nice, but is just as expensive, if not more, than the Karma. though it has some nicer features like avoidance and other crap that makes it so you don't actually have to fly it, and peopel don't need to learn what they're doing and end up smashing the drone into people or proeprty adding to the bad rep of the RC hobby as a whole... 

it also comes witht he stupid gaming controller. 

Yeah I saw a video in YouTube of the Mavic... It is nice but cost a $1000 dollars... Not really my price range... In fact the phantom 3 standard which cost $500 is not even in my price range... I bought a pre-release version of the Mota Giga 8000 for $399... It will ship in 2017 and if you look at their price now in Amazon... It cost $999...  I am glad I pre-ordered when it was in special price of $399. ;)

• 2 months later...
On 28.09.2016 at 0:31 PM, BudMan said:

Hey what about this new one - comes with 4k camera, long range if you get the controller, etc..  Looks pretty slick - but might be again a bit higher $ then you wanted to spend

http://petapixel.com/2016/09/27/dji-unveils-mavic-pro-foldable-ultra-portable-camera-drone/

The DJI Mavic Pro folds down as small, making it small enough to bring with you everywhere. :) Transmission system OcuSync offers up to 4.3 miles (7 kilometers) of transmission range. :s ApFly, ActiveTrack and other features make professional looking HD video effortless. In DJI Mavic Pro 4K, fully stabilized and ensures smooth footage. I want to buy DJI Mavic Pro, at now i bought Mini Quadcopter jonsguide:rolleyes: Using drones to capture footage has its advantages.  :s

I'm saving for the DJI Mavic Pro, looks insane. Will be my first Drone, at the rate I'm saving and the $1,800 (AUD) price tag I'll show you guys some pics and video in 3 or 4 years. :)

On 12/13/2016 at 0:56 AM, astropheed said:

I'm saving for the DJI Mavic Pro, looks insane. Will be my first Drone, at the rate I'm saving and the kr15,547.31 ($1,800) (AUD) price tag I'll show you guys some pics and video in 3 or 4 years. :)

The Mavic is cool, but you have to think of your reasons for a drone.

do you want to "fly" one? then a DJI is not for you.

do you want a photo/video rig, that just hovers and takes video, then a DJI is one option you can go for. HOWEVER, why do you want that. there's a billion people making drone videos on youtube, is there something special you want to record, then borrow or rent one for the project, do you want it for "family" videos... they're not good for that, do you want do do semi professional work with it... then you should already have the budget. 

If I had the money, I'd get one, but that's because I'm an enthusiast and already fly other drones. 

57 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

The Mavic is cool, but you have to think of your reasons for a drone.

do you want to "fly" one? then a DJI is not for you.

do you want a photo/video rig, that just hovers and takes video, then a DJI is one option you can go for. HOWEVER, why do you want that. there's a billion people making drone videos on youtube, is there something special you want to record, then borrow or rent one for the project, do you want it for "family" videos... they're not good for that, do you want do do semi professional work with it... then you should already have the budget. 

If I had the money, I'd get one, but that's because I'm an enthusiast and already fly other drones. 

I want to have open doors to creative ideas. I want a drone I can fly. I want to show off to people. I want to record awesome shots on the beach. There are many reasons I know why I want one and many more reasons that I'm sure I'll find.

I'm not saying I couldn't go buy one now, I could easily, it's not about the cost. I just "save" for things as an exercise of willpower and the removal of instant gratification. I saved for my PC for about 10 years and after ten years I still wanted one so I bought it. I could have easily of purchased it ten years ago. By the time I go "OK, I've 'saved' enough money for a Mavic Pro" I'll just buy whatever is awesome at that time for the same relative price.

Anyways, I know why I want one and I still want one. I appreciate your concern.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2016 at 2:48 PM, BudMan said:

from my understanding and the basic research I did when was looking to get one, if you want anything good your going to have to drop some $ or they are just "toys"  Part of the reason I didn't get one :( couldn't get it through the budget committee at the time (wife)..

Exactly the same reason I havent bought one yet.  I would only get a good one, and those are pricey.  I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" - and it just seems like a lot of money that can easily get destroyed.

I just know, with my luck, I would drop $1000 on one, then within a week, it would be toast.  And for some reason right now, I am getting buyer's remorse on everything I buy.  So, I am waiting. :/

3 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Exactly the same reason I havent bought one yet.  I would only get a good one, and those are pricey.  I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" - and it just seems like a lot of money that can easily get destroyed.

I just know, with my luck, I would drop $1000 on one, then within a week, it would be toast.  And for some reason right now, I am getting buyer's remorse on everything I buy.  So, I am waiting. :/

If you know what you are doing, then you can build one from scratch for cheap.  Instead of buying one from retail which is expensive. Sometimes retail sells drones that aren't good. 

Plus you should have flight experience on RC planes, helicopters, etc.   That way, you know where the drone is heading with your controller. If you don't, you could crash your drone on your first day.

Some drones have 'waypoint' built-in which allows the drone to fly itself anywhere you like so you don't have to control it. FYI, waypoint is not allowed in the 5 miles radius from the airport.

If you know what you are doing, then you can build one from scratch for cheap.  Instead of buying one from retail which is expensive. Sometimes retail sells drones that aren't good. 

Plus you should have flight experience on RC planes, helicopters, etc.   That way, you know where the drone is heading with your controller. If you don't, you could crash your drone on your first day.

Some drones have 'waypoint' built-in which allows the drone to fly itself anywhere you like so you don't have to control it. FYI, waypoint is not allowed in the 5 miles radius from the airport.

RC planes in general are not allokerer within those 5 mi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, sc302 said:

The phantoms are pretty hard to f up. They let you concentrate on the shot/video vs the flight. The cheaper ones are more like quad copters than video filming. 

This is why I am buying one plus they have firmware upgrades which they improve in every new release. Firmware in drones are only available on the expensive ones and even these costing the same amount of the phantom 3 standard ($399) no all have this feature. I think for the money, the phantom 3 standard is the best drone you can get at that price level.

This is why I am buying one plus they have firmware upgrades which they improve in every new release. Firmware in drones are only available on the expensive ones and even these costing the same amount of the phantom 3 standard ($399) no all have this feature. I think for the money, the phantom 3 standard is the best drone you can get at that price level.

Actually cheaper drones have far more active firmware development than the expensive ones, with the possible exception of 3DR . They also dont GEO lock you from flying everywhere, including places that you are allowed to fly, like DJI does.

9 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Actually cheaper drones have far more active firmware development than the expensive ones, with the possible exception of 3DR . They also dont GEO lock you from flying everywhere, including places that you are allowed to fly, like DJI does.

Which cheaper drones have firmware that you can point to? Because I checked few of them and they don't have these capabilities. I even owned the $289 dollars Upar One and this does not come with firmware updates. In fact, this one does not even have USB connection capabilities.

I just ordered a Eachine Wizard X220 with a Flysky FS-T6 High Precision 2.4GHz 6CH Mode 2 Transmitter. Cost me about £155 total and should be awesome fun.

Which cheaper drones have firmware that you can point to? Because I checked few of them and they don't have these capabilities. I even owned the $289 dollars Upar One and this does not come with firmware updates. In fact, this one does not even have USB connection capabilities.

Well, stay away from those no name ones in general.
Horizon is slightly cheaper than doing. And hobbykings quanum (Nova) brand uses standard APM FCs. There's others as well. But those are the big ones