• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Can't login to WordPress admin dashboard

Question

Gabe84    57

Hello, I'm having a problem logging into my website's WordPress admin section.

Yesterday everything was working fine, today I tried and I could not log it, the log in page wasn't displaying any error, but it was simply refreshing each time I tried to log in.

I've followed the steps regarding the plug ins here https://codex.wordpress.org/Login_Trouble

and it worked, then when I was in I worked on the site and then removed the plug in (underconstruction), then I closed Firefox and now I can't log in again, I cleared the cache and the cookies, even if I try with a different browser - Chrome - with which I never logged into the site it's the same problem.

I'd prefer not to touch the theme - I'm using GeneratePress - since it took a fair amount of time to set everything up and, since I don't know what the problem could be, I would prefer not to screw anything up.

I'm using a Linux hosting solution.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

13 answers to this question

Farchord    373

It can be a few things.

1- Does it specifically say that user or password is incorrect? I noticed sometimes wordpress gives a blank error, that's a symptom of something else.

2- Checked for PHP errors?

3- Tried to find out which plugin it is by removing plugins one-by-one?

Gabe84    57
5 minutes ago, Farchord said:

It can be a few things.

1- Does it specifically say that user or password is incorrect? I noticed sometimes wordpress gives a blank error, that's a symptom of something else.

2- Checked for PHP errors?

3- Tried to find out which plugin it is by removing plugins one-by-one?

Thanks for the answer.

1 - No, it doesn't say the user or password is incorrect, when I click login it just refreshes the page.

2 - Unfortunately I don't know how to do that :s

3 - I had only one plugin, that "underconstruction", when I did the procedure described on WordPress' site it worked, then I proceeded to deactivate and uninstall the plugin, after that I closed Firefox - as per my settings it clears the cache on each restart - and I found out the error was back.

I was thinking about deleting and uploading a new wp-login.php file, it seems the most foolproof procedure.

Farchord    373
2 minutes ago, Gabe84 said:

Thanks for the answer.

1 - No, it doesn't say the user or password is incorrect, when I click login it just refreshes the page.

2 - Unfortunately I don't know how to do that :s

3 - I had only one plugin, that "underconstruction", when I did the procedure described on WordPress' site it worked, then I proceeded to deactivate and uninstall the plugin, after that I closed Firefox - as per my settings it clears the cache on each restart - and I found out the error was back.

I was thinking about deleting and uploading a new wp-login.php file, it seems the most foolproof procedure.

Well I can take a look but if you dont know how to troubleshoot this I would let someone have a look

Gabe84    57
10 minutes ago, Farchord said:

Well I can take a look but if you dont know how to troubleshoot this I would let someone have a look

What do you need to take a look?

I just tried replacing the wp-login.php file with one from a fresh download, but I can't find $user_login = $user_data["user_login"]; anyway it didn't work

I also checked the database I'm using, it's only 1MB, so I don't think it can be related to that.

Edit: This is absurd, I tried again renaming the plugins folder to plugins.hold, if I go to mysite.org/wp-admin/plugins.php I can log into the dashboard and do whatever I want.

Farchord    373
45 minutes ago, Gabe84 said:

What do you need to take a look?

I just tried replacing the wp-login.php file with one from a fresh download, but I can't find $user_login = $user_data["user_login"]; anyway it didn't work

I also checked the database I'm using, it's only 1MB, so I don't think it can be related to that.

Edit: This is absurd, I tried again renaming the plugins folder to plugins.hold, if I go to mysite.org/wp-admin/plugins.php I can log into the dashboard and do whatever I want.

I would need your control panel login (And the url) as well as your wordpress admin login (and password). 

I probably recommend changing the password before you send me it. Send it to me in private on neowin.

Again -- considering Neowin does not run on HTTPS (Or probably does not save private messages securely) I would not send me a meaningful password.

pqt    275
4 hours ago, Farchord said:

I would need your control panel login (And the url) as well as your wordpress admin login (and password). 

I probably recommend changing the password before you send me it. Send it to me in private on neowin.

Again -- considering Neowin does not run on HTTPS (Or probably does not save private messages securely) I would not send me a meaningful password.

Just wanted to chime in here that Neowin does actually work globally with HTTPS, you just have to specify the protocol yourself.

Farchord    373
10 hours ago, Mur said:

Just wanted to chime in here that Neowin does actually work globally with HTTPS, you just have to specify the protocol yourself.

Oh sorry didn't know XD but I assume I'm right, that submitting passwords through private messaging is not the best idea? (Unless it's a temporary pw)

wendy oltman    138

You can try out these ones:

1. Clear out your browser cache and cookies.

2. Use another browser to login. Maybe Internet Explorer.

3. Instead of going to /wp-admin go to /wp-login.

Update us if it helps. 

pqt    275
3 hours ago, Farchord said:

Oh sorry didn't know XD but I assume I'm right, that submitting passwords through private messaging is not the best idea? (Unless it's a temporary pw)

I discourage the sharing of passwords on a good day, it's best to just have a new user generated with the permissions then collapse the user when the job has been completed.

BinaryData    777
8 hours ago, Mur said:

I discourage the sharing of passwords on a good day, it's best to just have a new user generated with the permissions then collapse the user when the job has been completed.

I'm going to butt in here, use a password Manager like LastPass, and just share the site. You can make it to where they can't see the password at all. I use it with some of my WebUIs I work with.

@Gabe84 Have you tried re-enabling that mod, or deleting it permanently? Also, do you do backups at all? I just learned that it's lovely to have backups :) I have daily, weekly, and monthly back ups.

pqt    275
31 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

I'm going to butt in here, use a password Manager like LastPass, and just share the site. You can make it to where they can't see the password at all. I use it with some of my WebUIs I work with.

https://1password.com/

BinaryData    777
1 minute ago, Mur said:

Looks like that's free for 6 months only. I pay $12 for the mobile app per year. All my passwords are maximum length, 0 duplication passwords, though a few are close, haha. Anyways, to keep on topic.

@Gabe84 I'm going to toss a PM your way, let's see if we can replicate this error on my side.

Gabe84    57

@Farchord and @BinaryData apparently substituing the wp-login.php solved the problem.

Thanks a lot both of you! :)

• Like 1