Can the news authors please stop writing articles about crappy or harmful software?

Example: 

Using a registry cleaner is no use, can cause more harm than good (see the comments) and writing articles about those sorts of things is just lame. Beside those sort of software are just scanware and nothing else. I know that bills need to be paid but honestly there are other things that could be written about.

/rant over for now.

Just now, Danielx64 said:

The bigger issue is that there were other articles that could have been written about - That's my point.

So write them and submit them and see if you can be a writer for Neowin.  Helps if you can stay on point when making a point.

22 minutes ago, Nik Louch said:

I agree with your opinion, but it is just an opinion.

Well actually, the fact thatregistry cleaners(in this specific example) are unecessary and can be harmful, isn't opinion.

crappy software in general, yes, very much so...

24 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Well actually, the fact thatregistry cleaners(in this specific example) are unecessary and can be harmful, isn't opinion.

"Well actually" it is an opinion.  There are people who have found them to be useful - one guy noting that it helped him with a reinstallation.  Harmful - well they CAN be yes, but saying that they ARE is a definitive.

Whether they have helpd one or two anecdotal users now and then, which may very well be somethign else, but who knows without further investigating, which the reg cleaner removed anyway. The fact remains, using a registry cleaner provides no measurable benefitto performance or stability in 99.9999999999999% of cases and comes with a risk of crashing or making yoru coputer unstable every time you run it. so that's not subjective or opinion, that's a fact. It would be more beneficial of the neowin tech writers wrote a comprehensive article about why you shouldn't and don't need to use registry cleaners. and should stay far away from any "booster"

Just now, HawkMan said:

Whether they have helpd one or two anecdotal users now and then, which may very well be somethign else, but who knows without further investigating, which the reg cleaner removed anyway. The fact remains, using a registry cleaner provides no measurable benefitto performance or stability in 99.9999999999999% of cases and comes with a risk of crashing or making yoru coputer unstable every time you run it. so that's not subjective or opinion, that's a fact. It would be more beneficial of the neowin tech writers wrote a comprehensive article about why you shouldn't and don't need to use registry cleaners. and should stay far away from any "booster"

Please quote source of stats.  Else: Opinion.

Coppernic always brings articles about software versions and updates.  Other writers write the OPINION pieces you mentioned.  Maybe you could also?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

I also think that it is irresponsible that neowin tech writers are promoting those sort of things.

Google is a search engine, and in this use potentially an aggregation of people's opinions.  Not a source, and not a direct link to any evidence.

I'm not disputing that they CAN be harmful in some circumstances, and I personally wouldn't use one as I don't feel any need.  But this thread is a user whaling about what another user (and news poster) submits - and it's purely opinion vs opinion.

• Like 2

SOME circumstances? when is it EVER safe to use? When does it EVER do more good than bad?

You're claim is as just biased.

IMO in general Reg cleaners arnt that great, in the hands of users who do not know/understand fully what the Reg does and behaves. most offer you to archive the changes before removal, any that dont are pointless.

I have a specific reg cleaner in my support tools, saves so much time scrawling through an old pos machines registry hunting down remnants of old software that was removed years ago. There are situations that they have a use for.

If they all were useless and bad, why would Microsoft create their own?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/183887

13 minutes ago, Nik Louch said:

Google is a search engine, and in this use potentially an aggregation of people's opinions.  Not a source, and not a direct link to any evidence.

I'm not disputing that they CAN be harmful in some circumstances, and I personally wouldn't use one as I don't feel any need.  But this thread is a user whaling about what another user (and news poster) submits - and it's purely opinion vs opinion.

and its getting worse (Google searches) these days googling a lot of tech items returns 4 or 5 pages of utter tripe by users stating their opinion, get past the first few pages and sometimes what you are really after shows up.

• Like 2

First of all, the Eusing article itn't in the 'news' section but rather in the software portion of the site. That section is maintained by one guy, @Copernic (real name Razvan Serea) , and all things considered he does a pretty good job for a one man show. He highlights new versions of software that have been released. He isn't the software police, he is simply saying, "Hey, this piece of software has been updated."  As for the software that is bothering you so much, are reg cleaners needed - not anymore but there are still people using XP visiting this site and maybe they do get some benefit from them. Who knows and further who cares?  People use things all the time that are bad for them, it's their choice.   And why are you bent out of shape over Eusing when a little further down is a CCleaner update as well.  There is also an entry for GOM player. Really? Does anyone still use that? Who knows, but if someone does, they've released a new version.  

Some people use reg cleaners and some people smoke cigarettes. Neither are good for you. One may wreck your computer and cause you (or someone you pay) to format and reinstall Windows and the other may kill you from cancer but I never hear people telling smokers around here how 'wrong' they are.   

For those that feel so strongly about this, I'm sure Neowin would welcome your contributions. Step up and write the articles you think are being missed or overlooked and submit them. I'm really getting tired of people complaining about things but not actually doing anything constructive to address the issue. 

1 minute ago, Zag L. said:

For those that feel so strongly about this, I'm sure Neowin would welcome your contributions. Step up and write the articles you think are being missed or overlooked and submit them. I'm really getting tired of people complaining about things but not actually doing anything constructive to address the issue. 

I would have written some if the barrier wasn't so high. Example: I would struggle to write something based on the press release (http://blogs.bing.com/search/2014/12/08/hitting-the-stores-or-the-all-you-can-eat-buffet-bing-makes-getting-there-easy/) that was given on the requirements page. Also I do send in news tips too so I am doing something constructive to address the issue.

20 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

SOME circumstances? when is it EVER safe to use? When does it EVER do more good than bad?

You're claim is as just biased.

When is it safe to use?  When it doesn't cause problems, which goes entirely uncommented on.  Those are the times when it does more good than bad.

Biased by what?  I said I don't use them.

2 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

I would have written some if the barrier wasn't so high

So, you can't reach the dizzying heights that Neowin requires, but will complain against those who do?

Feel free to contact the author of that section @Copernic if the program truly is harmful then you will be doing him a service since those articles do not fall under the "news" category, but Software updates.

If you are seeing software news in between news articles and don't want to see them, disable them from being shown among normal news articles, if you like seeing software updates, you can enable it with the same toggle.

SNAG-0008.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nik Louch said:

Please quote source of stats.  Else: Opinion.

Coppernic always brings articles about software versions and updates.  Other writers write the OPINION pieces you mentioned.  Maybe you could also?

How exactly do you bring stats of reg cleaners breakign stuff, outside of you know . the fact I fix computer, and I know what happened before the computers have been deivered to me "dead". and that it's quite a regular theme that this is the last that happened before techs get tasked to fix them. 

29 minutes ago, Nik Louch said:

When is it safe to use?  When it doesn't cause problems, which goes entirely uncommented on.  Those are the times when it does more good than bad.

Show me ONE example of a reg cleaner generatn measurable and notceable performance increase. 

Just now, HawkMan said:

How exactly do you bring stats of reg cleaners breakign stuff, outside of you know . the fact I fix computer, and I know what happened before the computers have been deivered to me "dead". and that it's quite a regular theme that this is the last that happened before techs get tasked to fix them. 

Anecdotal comments are not stats.  This is exactly my point - this is all OPINION, not fact.

I think people just need to understand what is at dispute here is not whether these types of applications are good or not, it's what you or a collective majority might think does not make that a fact. Someone has already stated "it may have helped one or two but on majority...." if it's helped one person then it certainly cannot be a fact that this software is in no way helpful.

Anyway - Steve has put this to bed, if you don't think the article is true then contact the writer, otherwise just move on. 

• Like 1