Help explain this anomaly?

Hello folks!

I have recently Upgraded my System Memory to 8GB DDR3, 1600Mhz.

However, the System startup is somehow quoting/recognizing it to be 1066Mhz !?

Can someone please help explain this anomaly?

My PC's factory default specs. can be accessed from here :-

http://bit.ly/2cYNdea

DSC_0002.jpg

You need to check what the fastest speed your motherboard can support. If your motherboard can only support up to 1066MHz*, then the RAM will be down-clocked to match the motherboard.

*Some motherboards may state that they can take higher speeds with (OC) next to the speed. This indicates that the board can only get to those speeds if you overclock. 

12 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

You need to check what the fastest speed your motherboard can support. If your motherboard can only support up to 1066MHz*, then the RAM will be down-clocked to match the motherboard.

*Some motherboards may state that they can take higher speeds with (OC) next to the speed. This indicates that the board can only get to those speeds if you overclock. 

Hello Daedroth!

In that context please help explain this another anomaly !? The same goes portrayed via the Model specific information on HP's website.

QdswdRH[1].jpg

13 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

That cpu only supports 1066 memory speeds.

Hi jjkusaf!

Would request you to please scour the relevant facts via http://bit.ly/2cYNdea  .

It clearly specifies PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600) is very much supported !

So where's the catch?

As other respondent has suggested that 'Overclocking' might help...please reveal more facts in regard to this phenomenon? What exactly is this & how it is achieved?

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Hi jjkusaf!

Would request you to please scour the relevant facts via http://bit.ly/2cYNdea  .

So where's the catch?

As other respondent has suggested that 'Overclocking' might help...please reveal more facts in regard to this phenomenon? What exactly is this & how it is achieved?

Thank you.

The processor only supports 1066

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bobcat/AMD-E1-Series E1-1500.html

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Will a person really notice much speed difference between the two?

Hello warwagon!

But isn't this tantamount to an 'Under-promise' or 'downsizing' the full potential of a PC? Secondly, is there an alternative to further enhance the performance of my PC ? I have "Upgraded" the RAM already...so what next?

Please suggest?

13 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Hi jjkusaf!

So where's the catch?

Thank you.

Those specs are saying that the motherboard can handle 1600MHz but they are not taking into consideration the limitations of the CPU in your specific model. I would venture to guess that the model could be "customized" before purchase with a better CPU which may support 1600MHz. As it stands, the CPU in your laptop can only handle 1066MHz as stated in the specs I linked above.

As far as overclocking the memory to get the speed you want, it won't be possible on a laptop for a wide variety of reasons.

On the plus side, you have memory being down-clocked which should present some increase in reliability.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Hello warwagon!

is there an alternative to further enhance the performance of my PC ? I have "Upgraded" the RAM already...so what next?

Please suggest?

That PC is running an AMD E1-1500 CPU. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the CPU in that PC is a piece of crap. In the future i'd recommend avoiding anything starting with AMD E-

When ever a PC enters my repair shop with anything starting with AMD E- I shutter. Because I know the repair time just tripled or quadrupled.

3 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

Hi metallithrax !

In that case, would you reckon "Upgrading" the Motherboard of my HP AIO desktop PC in order to derive a Superior performance gains of a Superior processor?

Is this possible? The present processor goes soldered to the Motherboard & thus cannot be simply upgraded!

Is the risk worth taking? Is it feasible at the first place?

Please suggest.

Seeing as the motherboard isn't a standard form factor, I wouldn't think you could just replace it.  I don't think all in one PC's are designed with upgrading in mind.

6 minutes ago, warwagon said:

That PC is running an AMD E1-1500 CPU. Sorry to break it you but it's a piece of crap. In the future i'd recommend avoiding anything starting with AMD E-

When ever a PC enters my repair shop with anything starting with AMD E- I shutter. Because I know the repair time just tripled.

I do second your Opinion because I encounter a 'Shaky' performance often! On most of the e-commerce Websites my PC goes for an intermittent stall.

So, considering the intricacies of an AIO model...is the Motherboard Upgrade possible & feasible? What should I do to unleash a 'Beastly' performance off my PC?

2 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

I do second your Opinion because I encounter a 'Shaky' performance often! On most of the e-commerce Websites my PC goes for an intermittent stall.

So, considering the intricacies of an AIO model...is the Motherboard Upgrade possible & feasible? What should I do to unleash a 'Beastly' performance off my PC?

turn off your moral compass for a moment and sell it to some poor unsuspecting sap, and buy a better one :D

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

turn off your moral compass for a moment and sell it to some poor unsuspecting sap, and buy a better one :D

How Good would be downsizing the OS then to Windows XP? At present, it goes equipped with Windows 8 from Factory defaults!

To admit quite honestly...I did give it a shot but failed every single time!

I don know if AIO's are also designed to reject the previous versions as well?

DSC_0001.jpg

15 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

Seeing as the motherboard isn't a standard form factor, I wouldn't think you could just replace it.  I don't think all in one PC's are designed with upgrading in mind.

In that case..do you think downsizing my present OS (Windows 8) to say Win 7 or Win XP (most preferable to me) could help?

Are AIOs designed in a way to reject installing the previous versions of Windows? Do the 'Recovery Drive' pose any impediments towards the same?

14 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

How Good would be downsizing the OS then to Windows XP? At present, it goes equipped with Windows 8 from Factory defaults!

To admit quite honestly...I did give it a shot but failed every single time!

I don know if AIO's are also designed to reject the previous versions as well?

DSC_0001.jpg

11 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

In that case..do you think downsizing my present OS (Windows 8) to say Win 7 or Win XP (most preferable to me) could help?

Are AIOs designed in a way to reject installing the previous versions of Windows? Do the 'Recovery Drive' pose any impediments towards the same?

The driver support for that machine running XP are probably slim to none and not very secure to boot. (No pun intended)

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

Will a person really notice much speed difference between the two?

It's like I said about other issues. It may not be "seen" but for some, the placebo effect matters. Knowing that it's capable of 1600 but showing 1066 just don't cut it (for some).

1 hour ago, saurabhdua said:

Hi jjkusaf!

So where's the catch?

Thank you.

Couple of good places to start: Be Careful.

http://www.overclock.net/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/198882/overclocking_for_newbies.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/165064/what-is-overclocking-the-absolute-beginners-guide-to-understanding-how-geeks-speed-up-their-pcs/

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/how-to-overclock-your-cpu-1306573

Scratch all this: You can't or shouldn't overclock that machine. But it's good education if you do obtain an overclockable machine in the future.

Edited by xrobwx

1 hour ago, jjkusaf said:

That cpu only supports 1066 memory speeds.

we have a winner!

@OP check for the ability to enable XMP modein your BIOS and if possible adjust the populated slots as if you have 2 dimms they are running single channel, kind of pointing to me as not configged correct and 1066 is the default setting for a 2nd Gen core i series (if thats what you have)

5 minutes ago, xrobwx said:

Hi xrobwx!

Before I begin to sift through these reference material...please suggest if my AMD E1-1500 can really be overclocked at the first place?

Earlier reference material pointed out by an another respondent suggests---"No Information available" regarding overclocking for this specific model!

Your inputs please?

6 minutes ago, Mando said:

we have a winner!

@OP check for the ability to enable XMP modein your BIOS and if possible adjust the populated slots as if you have 2 dimms they are running single channel, kind of pointing to me as not configged correct and 1066 is the default setting for a 2nd Gen core i series (if thats what you have)

Hello Mando!

What does XMP mode stand for? Under which Menu is this most likely to be found? I have AMD E1-1500 processor. Please elaborate on adjusting the populated slots? I couldnt get it?

19 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Hello Mando!

What does XMP mode stand for? Under which Menu is this most likely to be found? I have AMD E1-1500 processor. Please elaborate on adjusting the populated slots? I couldnt get it?

Scrub that, just found out it only supports single channel ddr3 sodimms in the 2 slots it has.

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/HP-18-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series/5359043/model/5400960/document/bph03886#AbT1

go to that site and scroll down to Verifying how much memory can be added to your computer model

then pick version 6 or 7 bios (check hat version you have) and it shows you there buddy.

Edited by Mando