Massive blackout across South Australia as storm hits the state, wiping out electricity supply

SOUTH Australia was battered on Wednesday by winds so powerful they ripped critical power infrastructure out of the ground, plunging the state into total darkness — and there are “treacherous” conditions to come.

Addressing the media late Wednesday night, Premier Jay Weatherill said the storm crisis was the result of several “weather events” across SA that produced wind gusts and thunderstorms so powerful they smashed more than 22 electricity transmission stations around Port Augusta, cutting power to the whole of the state.

He said the problem was compounded by tens of thousands of lightning strikes.

Power was being gradually restored to the state throughout Wednesday night and into Thursday.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/the-pulse-adelaides-live-news-weather-and-traffic-blog/news-story/e8d3fcba4b9dbb52bd104ecba8518e8a

In the afternoon about 3.30pm we had a wild storm in South Australia, the biggest ever 

and lost power to much of the state, we've also lost commincations (which I don't think has ever happens)

im glad I live by the city in these conditions. It must be chaos on the roads.

ok cya

PS I got my power back now, but most areas won't have it until the morning.

Edited by Andrew

Good to hear your are OK. I live in Florida so we are at risk of storms like you experienced, I'm glad that we live far enough inland to avoid most of the major storm damage! 

Ok, thanks. I think this is a first for losing Comms though and think this is the worse we've had.

You must get wild weather in America regularly, here it's pretty rare. Most of the state won't get power back until early hours of the morning. But thanks.

1 hour ago, starman3344 said:

In the afternoon about 3.30pm we had a wild storm in South Australia, the biggest ever 

and lost power to much of the state, we've also lost commincations (which I don't think has ever happens)

im glad I live by the city in these conditions. It must be chaos on the roads.

ok cya

PS I got my power back now, but most areas won't have it until the morning.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/the-pulse-adelaides-live-news-weather-and-traffic-blog/news-story/e8d3fcba4b9dbb52bd104ecba8518e8a

They are calling it the biggest storm in decades and it is heading for us in Victoria now. I'm pleased you're safe starman. We're not like America, storms like this are very rare indeed. I know people think we are always being chased by snakes and spiders or eaten by crocs and sharks but the weather in the states is nuts.