18yr old in Maine - 146mph in a 70mph zone

I'd be impressed with 146 miles on a flat desert road, much less Maine. Too bad he's 18 and, now, ######ed.

I would say that not having the insurance is bad, but at 146 mph, insurance isn't going to do much if you hit something and spray your body out of the car.

Translation for most of the rest of the sane world: 234 km/h in a 112 km/h Zone.

Fun Wolfram Alpha facts:

Comparisons as speed: 

≈ (0.8 to 0.9) × typical takeoff speed of a jetliner ( 150 to 180 mph )

≈ 0.98 × maximum speed of the fastest roller coaster in the world (the Formula Rossa) (≈ 149 mph )\

F2 (significant tornado)

Time to travel 1 kilometer from t = d/v: | 15 seconds

Mach number Ma in air from Ma = v/v_s, where v_s is the speed of sound: | 0.19 | (assuming Mach speed ≈ 340.3 m/s)

Edited by astropheed

19 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Surprised that a riced up Dodge "it's still a Neon" could actually go that fast. 

It's an srt4, they are rated for 153. The bigger question is how many miles it took to reach the speed he did. 

58 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It's an srt4, they are rated for 153. The bigger question is how many miles it took to reach the speed he did. 

Obviously it's an SRT4, hence why I said "it's still a Neon".  Take a Neon, throw in a turbo and loud exhaust, and there you go.

More so surprised that the top speed isn't governed since it's a cheap car designed for kids that will do reckless things.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, wendy oltman said:

How did they catch him once they clocked him? 

You can't outrun the radio...

:)

• Like 3

On 9/30/2016 at 0:28 AM, Studio384 said:

So here I was, thinking "Holly crap, 146 is fast". At that point, I realized that's in miles/h, not km/h.

Which makes it faster than you anticipated or...?

On 9/29/2016 at 9:08 AM, shockz said:

Surprised that SRT hasn't suffered from the dreaded oil sludge issues that killed most of them. Wonder how many times that engine was rebuilt.

Is that why I see so few of them these days?

13 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Is that why I see so few of them these days?

Back in my college days when they were still being sold new, two friends picked the SRT-4 up and within 80,000 miles they had coolant leak into the oil causing all sorts of sludge issues. The one still has his, but seems to be broken down more often than not... granted it's over 11 years old now. Still not as bad as the 2.7L v6 in the Status and Sebring with their sludge issues, probably one of the worst engines ever.