Help me prune these System services.

Hello Members!

Please refer to the enclosed list of System services which are scheduled to Auto-run & help me prune the frivolous ones - which are never/seldom required to be run at Startup & can be done away with easily!

Inputs are keenly awaited...

Thanks.

SystemServices.jpg

1 hour ago, Joe User said:

Which version of Windows?

He is an XP holdout. Yeah think about that for a bit...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, corrosive23 said:

He is an XP holdout. Yeah think about that for a bit...

Ah, in that case my guide is: 

Check your compatibility, insert your licensed Windows 7,  8 or 10 media and run setup. 

4 hours ago, saurabhdua said:

Hello Members!

Please refer to the enclosed list of System services which are scheduled to Auto-run & help me prune the frivolous ones - which are never/seldom required to be run at Startup & can be done away with easily!

Inputs are keenly awaited...

Thanks.

What old ass PC are you running that can't run XP effectively? I would be more worried about the malware on your box then Windows services. Please tell me you are running a good AV product and not using IE.

Why XP? Why not go with Linux if so against Windows 7 and 10?

7 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

What old ass PC are you running that can't run XP effectively? I would be more worried about the malware on your box then Windows services. Please tell me you are running a good AV product and not using IE.

It isn't an old PC, but an All In One that isn't that good.

Read his other threads and see what he is up to - it will give you a right laugh.

To the OP - you won't need the Google update service, seeing as Chrome won't be getting updated for Xp anytime - ever.

If you don't have a printer, the print spooler can go.

Event log - do you need to see what happened when your computer crashed?  If not, disable this.

Don't use Windows Help?  Disable help and support

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

It isn't an old PC, but an All In One that isn't that good.

Read his other threads and see what he is up to - it will give you a right laugh.

I remember now and he thought downgrading the OS was the solution. LOL

You almost have to think he is just trolling us all... Why always come to the forums and ask questions but always do the opposite of what is suggested?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

Your Multinational - HP fleeced me by selling a rigged PC, & thus these 'Austerity' measures are necessary to Recycle, Reduce & Reuse!

Using Linux would be akin to landing on Mars!..though I have used Ubuntu in the past but not without the assuring adore of Win XP!

Ample chance have been given to Windows 10 & Windows 8, & using them is mostly characterized by a 'Constipated' feeling! :-)

With XP..I wade through the Winds like a BirdMan!

Please do bother to take a look at the default specs. of my 'Rigged' HP PC & do contemplate on how a layman could have foreseen the consequences in advance?  :-

http://bit.ly/2cYNdea

12 hours ago, 7Kelevra said:

You can pick up a refurbished desktop with Win7 next to nothing these days. Why not upgrade?.

Please help me spot a suitable Hyperlink to accomplish the same!

Nevertheless, Iam quite convinced with XP's performance these days! Huge  Relief!

You don't need the Remote Procedure Call service that's used by the NSA to run code on your pc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saurabhdua said:

Your Multinational - HP fleeced me by selling a rigged PC, & thus these 'Austerity' measures are necessary to Recycle, Reduce & Reuse!

Ample chance have been given to Windows 10 & Windows 8, & using them is mostly characterized by a 'Constipated' feeling! :-)

With XP..I wade through the Winds like a BirdMan!

Please do bother to take a look at the default specs. of my 'Rigged' HP PC & do contemplate on how a layman could have foreseen the consequences in advance?  :-

http://bit.ly/2cYNdea

OK - I am starting to find your posts funny.

The broken english and use of simile & metaphorical illustrations is pretty good.

But, you need to explain how HP fleeced you into buying a rigged PC.

Because, any person who has spent even the slightest amount of time in tech knows HP makes printers... not computers.
They try to make computers - but there is a reason they are referred to as Hewlett CRAPard.

As far as it being rigged - did it not have the hardware it advertised ?

I digress - I know you are just mad at your situation, and it is understandable.

You bought the computer equivalent of a $1000 car and are struggling with it - we get it.
But - dont blame the multinational - they are known for selling crap.

Just be glad you didnt buy the new crap with fancy paint they are calling Spectre and Envy (and the pathetic marketing of selling computers with Star Wars graphics on them)

Is it possible to sell what you have and find a decent used computer with better specs (and not an HP) ?
It really would help you in the long run.

Give up.  The guy has a fixed mindset about running old hardware - it's a cliche IT meme of wanting to preserve old/crap hardware and "get the best from it" despite the fact that a decent PC can be picked up for a pittance these days.

That or he's simply trolling.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nik Louch said:

Give up.  The guy has a fixed mindset about running old hardware - it's a cliche IT meme of wanting to preserve old/crap hardware and "get the best from it" despite the fact that a decent PC can be picked up for a pittance these days.

That or he's simply trolling.

I thought that he was trying to just do the best he can with limited resources.
I hadn't read all of the posts/threads though.

I know that there are people who hang on to old outdated crap thinking "it could still be used for something" - but maybe you're right.

I admit, those types of people are nothing but hoarders IMO.
That whole "you can throw a tiny linux distro on it" makes me think of nerds in the basement with 10 cats and their mother yelling down in to the basement if they would like some cookies and milk - come to mind. :/

• Like 1

I think many tecchies go through it - we want to tinker like we're achieving something.  Then you realise that time has a value, and it's easier to just buy a better machine.

I'm all for tinkering to learn something, but what are you gonna learn on an XP box that has any value in 2016?

• Like 3

His hardware is not XP era hardware, its less than 3 years old.  He thought his system was too slow to run the OS the makers sold it with.  And XP was his answer - from the other thread he was ecstatic with how much faster the system was working with XP vs 8 or 7 and it wasn't an issue that he was only getting half of his 8GB of ram, etc.

Seems now that XP not as great as he remembers and needs to turn off system services?  To free up ram?  It has become very funny for sure.  Turning of a couple of system services here or there is not going to make a significant difference in your overall experience.  Turning off some stuff I would agree with from a security standpoint, services/protocols that are not being used should not really be on.  Understanding which these are when when they may or may not be used is the difficult part.

The computer browser service has no real value.  Do you have other machines or devices on your network that you would want to be able to "browse" to by name in some list?  If not then it has no use.  But the couple of k of ram or the .00001 % of cpu time it uses is not going to have an impact on your machines performance.  Even if you did this service really only needs to run on the machine that will maintain the list, ie the master browser.

Do you have a printer?  If not print spooler kind of pointless.  Remote registry, there are for sure multiple things running that may be of no use.  But even turning them all off is not going to to change the overall performance of your machine.  I would be surprised if moved the numbers on a benchmark, etc.  You might be able to shave a few seconds off your "boot" time ;) 

As you can see from his screen shot, doesn't seem like he got the graphic driver correct for XP ;)  That looks like utter crap if you ask me.

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

As you can see from his screen shot, doesn't seem like he got the graphic driver correct for XP ;)  That looks like utter crap if you ask me.

Attached screenshot is an output after making my PC render a "Best Performance" rather than Best/Balanced appearance, Classic scheme has been given a prominence over Standard & thus the output!

Iam quite satisfied with the present state of affairs but trying to extract more out of it.

What safeguards in general exist for a common man to avoid such a pitfall? You can't expect everyone to be a Neowinian! So how to guarantee the sustainability & fidelity of a purchase beforehand?

Masses tend to rely on the Configuration which appear conspicuous i.e. Amount of RAM, Size of Hard-Disk, OS installed, No. of USB ports...etc. & therefore Benchmarks such as - Windows Experience Index, Stress-Test score & alike remain non-existent until you discover these at a later stage!

Shouldn't the PC manufacturers, Microsoft & e-retailers therefore bring these values to the forefront than to be discovered later on? Carton indications, Front Panel stickers  & filtering attributes on the e-Commerce portal should encompass these values to facilitate an informed decision on the part of Naive consumers.

Similar to what 'Energy Star' rating has accomplished for Electrical appliances, WEI or some credible benchmark score could do the same for these Electronics items - Desktops, Laptops, Smart-Phones , Tablets or whatever similar.

Until then....this toil for Zenith stands justified! :-) 

6 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

What safeguards in general exist for a common man to avoid such a pitfall?

Buy a computer that is both relevant to the tasks you wish to run and the software currently available.

End of thread!

• Like 2