• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Your Windows License will expire

mike13    8

I have an older Dell computer (4 years old) that had Windows 7 on it. When that Windows 10 insider thingy came out, I signed up for it, and have been getting the updates frequently. Anyway, the last few times I turned on the computer. I get the message that YOUR WINDOWS LICENSE WILL EXPIRE SOON. YOU NEED TO ACTIVATE WINDOWS IN SETTINGS.  There are two boxes, one that says GO TO SETTINGS, and the other box to  CLOSE  If I click on GO TO SETTINGS, The ACTIVATION tab comes up. At the top it says Edition---Windows 10 Home Insider Preview. Under that it says ACTIVATED---Windows is activated using your organizations activation service. I have no idea what that means. If I look at WINVER, I see the following.  VERSION 1607 (US build 14936.1000)   Under that a bit lower, I see EVALUATION COPY EXPIRES  5/1/2017  So why am I getting these messages if my activation is good until 5/1/2017.  Any suggestions ?  Thanks,  Mike

Noir Angel    4,207

That message usually only comes up after you activate the OS with a KMS, so if you didn't use a KMS activation yourself, the person that owned the PC before you probably did.

Assuming you have the original key, open an elevated command and enter "slmgr -upk", then reboot. Then enter your Windows 7 key and it should activate. Alternatively, uninstall the product key then sign in again with your insider account.

• Like 4

mike13    8

Thanks javik for the reply. The Windows 7 sticker key is still on the bottom of this laptop, so I will try your suggestion tomorrow. Many thanks, Mike

mike13    8

javik,  I decided to try this evening. I opened a CMD prompt as administrator and typed in   SLMGR-UPK  as you suggested. I then hit enter, then I got a message that says.  (... is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or a batch file  )   What did I do wrong ??

Raa    1,530

Put a space after the "Slmgr" part, then "-UPK" (without quotes).

• Like 1

LimeMaster    15,600

You forgot the space between "slmgr" & "-upk".

• Like 1

mike13    8

OK, I tried again with the space etc. I got a message that the product key was removed. I then rebooted. The computer rebooted as usual, but I did NOT get the message about the Windows license expiring etc. Then I went to Settings, and then Activation. I saw the following:   EDITION----Windows 10 Home insider preview. ACTIVATION--Unable to reach Windows activation servers. (learn more). I clicked on learn more, and read what was posted, it looks like I need a DIGITAL LICENSE ??   

Hum    6,933
1 hour ago, mike13 said:

When that Windows 10 insider thingy came out, I signed up for it,

That qualifies you for a digital license.

Digital license

You’re a Windows Insider and upgraded to the newest Windows 10 Insider Preview build on an eligible device that was running an activated previous version of Windows and Windows 10 Preview.

+Gary7    7,372
4 minutes ago, Hum said:

That qualifies you for a digital license.

Digital license

You’re a Windows Insider and upgraded to the newest Windows 10 Insider Preview build on an eligible device that was running an activated previous version of Windows and Windows 10 Preview.

Yes it lasts forever as long as your machine does,

• Like 1

mike13    8

OK, how do I get a Digital License ????

Noir Angel    4,207
17 hours ago, mike13 said:

OK, I tried again with the space etc. I got a message that the product key was removed. I then rebooted. The computer rebooted as usual, but I did NOT get the message about the Windows license expiring etc. Then I went to Settings, and then Activation. I saw the following:   EDITION----Windows 10 Home insider preview. ACTIVATION--Unable to reach Windows activation servers. (learn more). I clicked on learn more, and read what was posted, it looks like I need a DIGITAL LICENSE ??   

Ok, what they mean by a digital license is that once your copy of Windows is activated, they remember your entitlement in a digital database that stores some information about your hardware, so the OS can go online and reactivate itself as soon as you go online. Try entering your Windows 7 key, and seeing if it will activate. Once you've entered a valid Windows 7 key it will accept your entitlement and give you a digitally licensed product.

• Like 1

+Gary7    7,372
6 hours ago, mike13 said:

OK, how do I get a Digital License ????

You have to sign in with your outlook.com email address. And then it auto activates with every new build.

mike13    8

Success!!!!  I went to Settings  and Change your key,  I entered my Windows 7 key that was on the bottom of this laptop. After about 30 seconds I got this message.  "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft Account"  Many thanks to all that gave suggestions,  Mike

• Like 3

Circaflex    3,505
3 hours ago, Gary7 said:

You have to sign in with your outlook.com email address. And then it auto activates with every new build.

Incorrect, the ID is tied to the hardware not the MS account, otherwise how would you explain a digital license when using a local account? It has nothing to do with your microsoft account and everything to do with the hardware id.

The only requirement of the insider program is logging into a microsoft account, but again has nothing to do with the digital license.

adrynalyne    10,996
29 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Incorrect, the ID is tied to the hardware not the MS account, otherwise how would you explain a digital license when using a local account? It has nothing to do with your microsoft account and everything to do with the hardware id.

The only requirement of the insider program is logging into a microsoft account, but again has nothing to do with the digital license.

I think he is confusing activation being stored with msa vs activation tied to msa. 

• Like 1

Hum    6,933
6 hours ago, Gary7 said:

I didn't sign in.

After entering my OEM product key 3 times, about 10 minutes later it auto activated.  I didn't understand what happened.

Using a program, I saw I now had another product key, which I recorded.

I guess my product key identified me, so MS knew I was an Insider, having signed up for the beta Windows 10.

I'm glad the OP got his activation. :)

+Gary7    7,372
11 hours ago, Hum said:

I didn't sign in.

After entering my OEM product key 3 times, about 10 minutes later it auto activated.  I didn't understand what happened.

Using a program, I saw I now had another product key, which I recorded.

I guess my product key identified me, so MS knew I was an Insider, having signed up for the beta Windows 10.

I'm glad the OP got his activation. :)

Well you used a key. The only key I ever used was the one I had in Windows 7. I know I have a key as I saw it with one of those programs but I never use it.