Mouse Mat?

Wondering if I should buy a mouse mat.

Just shelled out just shy of £200 on a new desk. It's actually a kitchen worktop made of solid oak (40mm staves I think).

I had a cheap computer desk from Argos, which lasted a good 5 years before showing mouse scratches, maybe even more.

So, I'm thinking of buying a mouse mat to protect the desk. My mouse is a Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic. But I hate mouse mats. I find them very cumbersome and it'll ruin the look, unless it's as thin as a piece of foil I suppose.

Any advice?

I have an ancient Everglide Giganta mouse surface, bout 1/4" thick, once your used to it, its a joy. Used it for years, the Razer Blackadder LHD is very slick on it.

Seen better days tbh :p and and a mouse bungee.

2.jpg

9873_large.jpg

had both for over 10years easy.

da-lefthand.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mando said:

I have an ancient Everglide Giganta mouse surface, bout 1/4" thick, once your used to it, its a joy. Used it for years, the Razer Blackadder LHD is very slick on it.

Seen better days tbh :p and and a mouse bungee.

9873_large.jpg

had both for over 10years easy.

Never even knew that existed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Never even knew that existed.

best invention ever if your using on a desk, no more lifting mouse up to tug more dropped cabling down back of desk for use. Mines that old the heavy balll weight has started to get pitted, might purchase another, dammit its only 15Yr old, did i get my £10 moneys worth, think so :p  

genius! it goes everywhere my mouse does lol ive gone wireless desktop at work, just easier with a bench full of systems etc. (and empty coffee cup towers to keep end losers away)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I have an ancient Everglide too. I recently retired it though.

im too scared to, what if my next isnt as good, although the everglide has finally a shiny center after 10+ years of mouse action. 

Hell gimme a chance man, only recently retired my Lian Li PC-65 case, that took at least 10 years to finally decide to do it. (im no joking either lol)  Corsair 400C now. (still undecided tbh)

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I have an ancient Everglide too. I recently retired it though.

thats cos only cool mofos have everglides :p 

Just now, Mando said:

im too scared to, what if my next isnt as good, although the everglide has finally a shiny center after 10+ years of mouse action. 

Hell gimme a chance man, only recently retired my Lian Li PC-65 case, that took at least 10 years to finally decide to do it. (im no joking either lol)  Corsair 400C now.

I was the same way! I don't even know when Everglide went out of business. I went to buy another and was sad...

Anyway, that SteelSeries I linked has lived up to my expectations despite being cloth.

I still prefer the 3M Precision Mousing Surface - it's the only one that works with ANY mouse sans issues (from old mice with balls to the latest laser and BlueTrack ARC mice).

https://smile.amazon.com/3M-Precise-Repositionable-Adhesive-MP200PS/

Oddly enough, like most of the Scotch products, it was originally an "oops" discovery - however, the board of Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing (the original name OF the company) realized that even mistakes can be useful somewhere - even if not for the original planned use.  That has, in fact, earned MM&M a place in manufacturing history alone - because how many other companies have taken the meme made infamous far later by a singer and made a very profitable business out of it?

The "Britney Spears meme" - "Ooops - I did it again."

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

I was the same way! I don't even know when Everglide went out of business. I went to buy another and was sad...

Anyway, that SteelSeries I linked has lived up to my expectations despite being cloth.

Hmmm.....too much change arrrg :p ill get a couple of them in at work and see whats what....has a lot to live up to though. :) 

Not much tech im like this with, my Case (dunno why either) mouse, mouse surface & my bungee & keyboard choice i stick to what i know and like (bit odd huh) :p bought a LED backlit shortened keyboard to finish, and tbh not all bad for the £, Has anti-ghosting on the keys you need them on but looks like a normal keyboard.

41197AA6iGL.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mando said:

Hmmm.....too much change arrrg :p ill get a couple of them in at work and see whats what....has a lot to live up to though. :) 

Not much tech im like this with, my Case (dunno why either) mouse, mouse surface & my bungee & keyboard choice i stick to what i know and like (bit odd huh) :p bought a LED backlit shortened keyboard to finish, and tbh not all bad for the £, Has anti-ghosting on the keys you need them on but looks like a normal keyboard.

41197AA6iGL.jpg

I like minimalist keyboards myself as well:

mechanical-keyboard-mac-nixeus-moda-pro-

I have one of these, I've had it about 8 years and it's still in fantastic condition, the gel has not deformed and it still supports my wrist really well.

kensington-mousepad.jpg

Just now, Javik said:

I have one of these, I've had it about 8 years and it's still in fantastic condition, the gel has not deformed and it still supports my wrist really well.

kensington-mousepad.jpg

heheh the VW Beetle of the mouse mat world :) 

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I have a Corsair pad that covers most of my Desktop, my KB and Mouse sit on top of it..

Oooh now thats interesting! 

upload a screeny mate. (please)

18 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I have a Corsair pad that covers most of my Desktop, my KB and Mouse sit on top of it..

I use a similar one from Razer...

razer-goliathus-speed-edition-soft-gaming-mouse-mat-large-400x400-imadqqhmmnfhazsr.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Here you go, I do not have a camera but this should do:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/mm300-anti-fray-cloth-gaming-mouse-pad-extended

59C31CA11F3E42E0B2ECD404B6F85ECA.ashx

now thats a good idea. except it would look odd in my curved setup, dang.

instead of spamming this im gonna post my workstation, see what you guys think in other thread now its in the 400C :) 

Just now, Mando said:

now thats a good idea. except it would look odd in my curved setup, dang.

instea dof spamming this im gonan post my workstation, see what you guys think in other thread now its in the 400C :) 

They have smaller ones but they are just mouse pads. I use a curved corner type desk and it fits.

22 minutes ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Well, as nobody has suggested the oak would be okay, I was looking at some photos in the reviews section and thought bigger would look good, so looking at one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EG7WB8C

it would wear down eventually mate, sorry i meant to post that a pad or surface would be a good idea :)

see the deal below it, doe sit offer you the mouse bungee? if so take it, trust me youll thank me later if your using a wired mouse, no more snagged mouse cable on desk rear edge.

29 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

They have smaller ones but they are just mouse pads. I use a curved corner type desk and it fits.

ahh okies maybe still an option, check hardware hangout mate, i dont want to railroad tophatts queston :) battle-stations latest posts mate ;) few pics too.

I have the 2 sided mat from Corsair. I am a huge fan of Corsair stuff these days.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826988049&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Accessories+-+Mouse-_-N82E16826988049&gclid=CjwKEAjwps2_BRC5jduHor-h8xESJADGT-LtfymfoH5d3_IzOMLKJR55KaS0WrNQCTlVq2sJstVAahoCOfvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Definitely a good idea for mat in general on a new desk. I bought an expensive desk once and within a few months had a worn out area from the mouse.

4 minutes ago, Mando said:

it would wear down eventually mate, sorry i meant to post that a pad or surface would be a good idea :)

see the deal below it, doe sit offer you the mouse bungee? if so take it, trust me youll thank me later if your using a wired mouse, no more snagged mouse cable on desk rear edge.

ahh okies maybe still an option, check hardware hangout mate, i dont want to railroad tophatts queston :) battle-stations latest posts mate ;) few pics too.

I have my mouse plugged into the back of my Strafe Keyboard.