Corsair's "Mag Lev" Fans

Just installed some of these on my desktop's radiator.

Cut noise down by 50%.
I have one of those mobos that spin everything @ 100% when you power up.  Normally it sounds like a datacenter when that happens - pretty loud.

Now - the sound was 1/2 what it normally was.

@ normal - they are silent.

I paid $40 for 2 of them (120mm) @ Fry's 

Capture.JPG

Here are the specs:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/ml120-120mm-premium-magnetic-levitation-fan-twin-pack

Capture.JPG

Just now, Gary7 said:

Corsair fans have a strange rubber grommet type to screw into, I prefer CoolerMaster fans as well no need to pay 35 US for a case fan.

Thats for 2 fans.

They are quiet and they look different than the ones I had. Maybe I will get two if I ever need a case fan. Most everything else in my machine is Corsair as well as the KB and Mouse.

Well, considering these are the cheapest components of a build, the price difference between these and any others are a non-issue.

I have been messing with them - they seem to be vastly better than the previous fans I was using which were the Corsair Performance Series.
Im happy with the purchase. (Y)

9 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Well, considering these are the cheapest components of a build, the price difference between these and any others are a non-issue.

I have been messing with them - they seem to be vastly better than the previous fans I was using which were the Corsair Performance Series.
Im happy with the purchase. (Y)

I'd call it more than a non-issue when you're spending over 2x the cost for questionable gains.  Especially if your case fits more than two fans.

I'm not saying they're bad fans, but I'll stick with the Sickleflows.

I haven't bought computer parts in forever. I used Noctua fans in my last & current build. Will have to try them in the future

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LostCat said:

I'd call it more than a non-issue when you're spending over 2x the cost for questionable gains.  Especially if your case fits more than two fans.

I'm not saying they're bad fans, but I'll stick with the Sickleflows.

Thats certainly another way to look at it.

My thinking is - its an upgrade for next to no money - whats not to like ?

7 hours ago, LostCat said:

Not questionable, they are quieter as advertised.

3 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Not questionable, they are quieter as advertised.

Great.  Quieter than what?  I have yet to see a review that actually compares them against other fans.

Just now, LostCat said:

I didn't mention any 5 dollar fans.

Great.  Quieter than what?  I have yet to see a review that actually compares them against other fans.

Your words, I just gave you want . You want to argue over a stupid fan/

Just now, Gary7 said:

Your words, I just gave you want . You want to argue over a stupid fan/

No one here is arguing, except you Gary, as usual. No where did he mention the price he paid for the fans he uses, you brought that up.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LostCat said:

Alright, they do look pretty decent now that I've found a proper comparison, but I'd bet their gains can still be had cheaper.

I think I'll go with the Bitfenix Spectres for my next build.  Right on.

Looks like I need to give my Opportunity Cost speech 3x in 1 week.

6 hours ago, LostCat said:

Congratulations, you like wasting money some of us don't have.

Dude, if you have to debate $10.00 you need a job !

Where were you last week when I was trying to give away a computer ?  LOL

1 minute ago, T3X4S said:

Dude, if you have to debate $10.00 you need a job !

Where were you last week when I was trying to give away a computer ?  LOL

I always find these conversations fascinating. What is expensive to one, might not be to another. Never understood why someone would say you are wasting money, who cares, its your money.

I bet a few people here would be shocked to hear I have had a few builds that had $300+ of fans used in them. For a lot of us, this is a hobby, and we spend money on said hobby.

• Like 3

Just now, Circaflex said:

I always find these conversations fascinating. What is expensive to one, might not be to another. Never understood why someone would say you are wasting money, who cares, its your money.

I bet a few people here would be shocked to hear I have had a few builds that had $300+ of fans used in them. For a lot of us, this is a hobby, and we spend money on said hobby.

I hear ya.

I know everything is relative - but @ some point - you have to say "ok - you dont need hobbies, you need a job"

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

LOL - good thing he doesnt play golf, huh ?   Sheesh - now that can get expensive.

4 hours on a Saturday morning can cost you $200.  (or $600 if your @ Pebble )

• Like 2

6 hours ago, T3X4S said:

you have to say "ok - you dont need hobbies, you need a job"

I don't think anyone disagrees with that statement.  What I was saying is that the value of the item is grossly inflated, so unless you're a HUGE Corsair fan there are better options.

My current case has five fans, mix of 120s and 140s...would definitely not have gotten these when my $8 ones were fantastic and that extra could've gone to a better vidcard or something useful like that.

(Personally, it's more the current debt than the lack of job that's slowing me down.  Things are improving noticably though.)

Edited by LostCat