The Best PSU's?

Someone sent this to me on Facebook: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html#xtor=RSS-100

Do you agree to this? Or is it like, farfetched with fanboyism? Being from tomshardware, I would believe.

I do not plan to buy a new PSU, but I was just curious.

I don't see anything there I would disagree with. If I were in the market for a new PSU, I'd probably take advice from that. I do like the Corsair PSU's myself, you tend to get a good product with a good warranty.

I personally trust jonnyguru's reviews because they are unbiased and have always been a pillar of the overclocking and modding community.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

Corsair is OK in my opinion, but I have owned almost all brands and they all have their faults. I have blown through plenty of Corsair PSU's, as well as high end Antecs and PPC's when they were big.

PSU quality breaksown is pretty simple.

Step 1 - Go with a major name brand:  Corsair, Seasonic, eVGA, Silverstone
Step 2 - Then decide the power you need (if you adhere to step 1 - you can trust the wattage claims)
Step 3 - Follow the color chart - Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and finally - Titanium.

Price and Weight are a good way to tell a quality PSU - it will be heavy and possibly expensive.

If it is from Coolmax, Rosewill, Thermaltake - seems like a great deal (500W for $30) - run like hell.

End of Lesson

The link shows decent stuff - I would never mess with the 1st several ones - when it comes to PSU - I always use overkill - 1 less thing to worry about.

My system build calls for 600W - Im using a 1KW.  Problem solved.

I have a Seasonic Platinum 1KW currently.  Totally didnt need it, but glad I have it.

My advice, is ignore the OEM who is on the box and do the research to see who actually made the unit. Most companies use the same internals and just jazz up the case/box. Many of the high end PSU's share internals, for instance Channel Well Technology makes a lot of the highend internals for 1000W+ PSU's.

For instance, Toms has that Thermaltake as their top pick, and most people would automatically be like WHOA Thermaltake? LOL NO WAY MAN. But in reality, its made by Channel Well Tech and is a solid PSU.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=458

Quality PSU's cost a good amount of money, you cant expect a <$100 PSU to be that great.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

My advice, is ignore the OEM who is on the box and do the research to see who actually made the unit. Most companies use the same internals and just jazz up the case/box. Many of the high end PSU's share internals, for instance Channel Well Technology makes a lot of the highend internals for 1000W+ PSU's.

For instance, Toms has that Thermaltake as their top pick, and most people would automatically be like WHOA Thermaltake? LOL NO WAY MAN. But in reality, its made by Channel Well Tech and is a solid PSU.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=458

Quality PSU's cost a good amount of money, you cant expect a <$100 PSU to be that great.

My Thermaltake PSU was made by CWT, too. They made most of the Corsair PSU's. Never judge a book by it's cover. It's what inside that makes the difference.

4 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Corsair is OK in my opinion, but I have owned almost all brands and they all have their faults. I have blown through plenty of Corsair PSU's, as well as high end Antecs and PPC's when they were big.

Ahh the good ol days.

When you had power supplies, then you had the PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cools

Built like 20 pound tanks, I had the 850 Turbo Cool and it lasted for like 8 years, then I gave it to someone who continued to use it.

For $60 they would custom wire it for you.

• Like 2

I used to have Enermax for PSUs, but in a recent build for my brother I went with be quiet and I am a new fan of their PSUs (as well as cases). My next one will most likely also be one of theirs.

Hello,

Nothing out of the ordinary there. 

FirePower Technology is the power supply company which formed out of the bankruptcy of OCZ, which had acquired PC Power & Cooling.   Within the past 1-2 years, I had a PP&C power supply which had begun to fail, and FirePower replaced it under warranty, even though they technically were under no obligation to do so given the bankruptcy situation. 

Given that level of support, I'd definitely look at them if I were power supply shopping.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Nothing out of the ordinary there. 

FirePower Technology is the power supply company which formed out of the bankruptcy of OCZ, which had acquired PC Power & Cooling.   Within the past 1-2 years, I had a PP&C power supply which had begun to fail, and FirePower replaced it under warranty, even though they technically were under no obligation to do so given the bankruptcy situation. 

Given that level of support, I'd definitely look at them if I were power supply shopping.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

duly noted.

That is interesting.

I hopped on their site - a couple of things to check out - however it appears they are just getting started as there was a lot of COMING SOON stuff.

The old classic PC Power & Cooling 850W Turbo Cool is listed - as just 80Plus, but its $329.
THen they have a 1200W Platinum Silencer @ roughly the same price.
I would imagine they just havent done any QC on the site, and are just uploading stuff from some SQL db as those prices and stats dont make sense.

Unless the 850W Turbo Cool was before the industry assigned colors to the specs.

I would imagine the way those things were built it would be nothing less than Gold or Platinum.
No listings for any Titanium, but they did have a category for 2000W PSU - which would be more than what the standard house in the US can pull from a 110 socket. (I think 1700W is the most)

But if its rated @ 2000W Platinum, that pretty much guarantees its the only PSU one would ever need if they had some seriously insane system

I hope they come out to market, competition on the high end market is always a great thing for enthusiasts.  It forces companies to uphold quality, and sometimes leads to prices being lowered.

A good post from @goretsky - thx

If you want to see who actually makes a PSU and get links to reviews, head over to the PSU database at RealHardTechX. I'd never buy a PSU without hitting that database first. For example, the Cosair SF450 listed on the original link shows being made by Great Wall and gets a 9.9 from JonnyGuru.  The RM550x however only has one review from Hardware Insights, not JonnyGuru so I'd probably not be too quick jump on that one just yet.

58 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

If you want to see who actually makes a PSU and get links to reviews, head over to the PSU database at RealHardTechX. I'd never buy a PSU without hitting that database first. For example, the Cosair SF450 listed on the original link shows being made by Great Wall and gets a 9.9 from JonnyGuru.  The RM550x however only has one review from Hardware Insights, not JonnyGuru so I'd probably not be too quick jump on that one just yet.

That's why you go seasonic. Nobody makes a seasonic except seasonic ;)

18 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

That's why you go seasonic. Nobody makes a seasonic except seasonic ;)

I thought seasonic was made with a diff company... the more you learn...

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

I thought seasonic was made with a diff company... the more you learn...

Not that I'm aware of. Seasonic makes them for other companies. 

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Not that I'm aware of. Seasonic makes them for other companies. 

That might be it... *shrugs*

55 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

My choice would be Chieftec. Not on top of lists anywhere but I have yet to see one go bad in the last 15 years.

LOL - you're kidding, right ?

You have to be real careful with them, they have several different companies making their stuff.

It all depends on the model.

Some are decent, others are junk - but when you have so many other, good options - there is no reason to go with chieftec.

4 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Chieftec doesn't make their own. I think Delta is their primary OEM. So I guess it depends on how one feels about Delta. 

34 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

You have to be real careful with them, they have several different companies making their stuff.

It all depends on the model.

Some are decent, others are junk - but when you have so many other, good options - there is no reason to go with chieftec.

I won't argue about that, but never a single problem with those and adrynalyne is probably right I never checked the real manufacturer. I must say though I never used their modular PSUs, always classic wire bundle ones. I must have built more than 50 PCs with those, ranging from 340 W to 650 W I believe and all where heavy as ######.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2016 at 10:27 AM, Gary7 said:

I like Corsair products, their PSU's are very good.

The Corsair PSUs *are* good - I have a modular CX-600M I swear by - not at.

Unlike a lot of modern (let alone modular) PSUs, it can drop back all the way to AT form-factor motherboards - which makes the use range-gate wider than most modern PSUs.

It also has no issue supporting multi-GPU and multiple drives at the same time - not exactly common at the low-end; too many 600W PSUs (modular or otherwise) compromise there.

https://smile.amazon.com/CORSAIR-CX650M-BRONZE-Haswell-Modular/dp/B01B72W1VA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

Above is the direct successor CX-650M.