Cat6 or Cat7 at home

only thing i would recommend is getting the cable which doesn't let off smoke in a fire. I paid a bit extra and got some purple cat 5e, which god forbid there is a fire won't let off toxic smoke. 

16 minutes ago, REM2000 said:

only thing i would recommend is getting the cable which doesn't let off smoke in a fire. I paid a bit extra and got some purple cat 5e, which god forbid there is a fire won't let off toxic smoke. 

Plenum, and it's not always purple just FYI. BTW I don't believe it is any more toxic, smoke isn't good for your lungs as it is, but regular cat5/6 etc cable jacket doesn't turn into nerve agent when it lights on fire.

Call me crazy but I did it because at the moment a 10GB switch on ebay will set you back 900$ and that's going to come down as the devices get older and replaced. The adaptors are already at 100$ ( X540-T2)

Unless you do massive transfers it wont pay off.

51 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Plenum, and it's not always purple just FYI. BTW I don't believe it is any more toxic, smoke isn't good for your lungs as it is, but regular cat5/6 etc cable jacket doesn't turn into nerve agent when it lights on fire.

It (regular cable) burns at an exponentially faster rate versus Plenum. You're supposed to use Plenum in any situation where air is being exchanged by an HVAC unit or between building levels (a basement to first floor counts as a level).

Just now, Thayios said:

It (regular cable) burns at an exponentially faster rate versus Plenum. You're supposed to use Plenum in any situation where air is being exchanged by an HVAC unit or between levels.

Teflon is Plenum and it should be used everywhere but it is hard to work with. Maybe the newer stuff is better.

Unless either you need 10gbps internet (or live in a house with a crazy amount of interference) you won't see any benefit from cat7 cable.

Plenum is much harder to work with due to the separation barrier on the inside usually and thicker jacket but well worth it when your business or house burns down and the insurance doesn't deny your claim because a novice used the wire! :)

On 10/12/2016 at 1:44 PM, Thayios said:

Plenum is much harder to work with due to the separation barrier on the inside usually and thicker jacket but well worth it when your business or house burns down and the insurance doesn't deny your claim because a novice used the wire! :)

yea........ no.

depending on the quality of the riser cable, it too will have a rigid separation barrier.    I have had good quality and low quality with a thin barrier and a thick barrier in the riser cable.  I have had to terminate both...the thick plastic "+" barrier is a bear to work with.  But to be honest, once you have done a lot...it really makes no difference until you get into the shielded.

17 hours ago, sc302 said:

yea........ no.

depending on the quality of the riser cable, it too will have a rigid separation barrier.    I have had good quality and low quality with a thin barrier and a thick barrier in the riser cable.  I have had to terminate both...the thick plastic "+" barrier is a bear to work with.  But to be honest, once you have done a lot...it really makes no difference until you get into the shielded.

I'm glad I'm done with making shielded cables, that is not fun.

I would use Plenum cable just for safety. However if you are going to be using pre made cables you might as well use CAT6. There are even cables that have Cat6 combined with a multimode (sometimes singlemode) fiber line... http://www.homecontrols.com/Bundled-Cable-RG6-Quad-Shield-Cat6-FiberOptic-WR2R2C62FS

At any rate try to always keep separation of a good 3" from all power lines. If you are going to cross a power line try to cross it at 90degree angles. You may want to consider shielded if you have radio transmitters (ham or cb) near, but remember if the cards and terminations don't ground properly the shielding becomes less effective. As for electromagnetic security I would also recommend not to even cross water pipes or other ferrous conduits as the signal attenuation or even leakage of data (it is possible to pick up signals on the wire this way but you would probably have to be state sponsored to do it) can be affected.

http://www.networkcablingdirectory.com/articles/structured-network-cabling-id_1151.htm covers some nice things about cross talk and bandwidth.

If you are self terminating CAT6 you have to be careful when you untwist the wires as you can ruin the extra protection that it provides.

In some cases you can even use USB3 and HDMI/ Ethernet

Yeah - as all others have said, no diff.  The ONLY reason I have CAT7 from router to desktop is because the IT firm that wired the hospital where my fiance used to work - they used Cat7 all around.  She "borrowed" some of that fat fancy braided cable for me with shiny gold connectors :)

Its maddening if one were to know the costs of crap in the medical field - it doesnt take long to see why our medical costs are so outrageous.  

$5000 for a standard 110-key keyboard for an MRI tech
$32,000 for the $50 PSU for the magnets on an MRI ($16,000 to "refurb" the PSU)
The whole new extension @ Baylor Grapevine hospital used Cat7 - god knows the cost they charged for that
$2500 for a computer cart

I could go on and on

SORRY TO DERAIL