Flying the Isis flag is legal, Sweden declares

Flying the Isis flag is legal, Sweden declares
Waving the Isis flag 'is not an expression of disrespect towards any ethnic group' because Isis is 'against everyone except those who belong to Isis'
Samuel Osborne | @SamuelOsborne93  | 8 hours  ago | 141 comments

Flying the Isis flag in Sweden is not illegal and cannot be considered an incitement to racial hatred, according to a Swedish prosecutor.
A 23-year-old man from Laholm has avoided prosecution after he allegedly posted a picture of himself with the Isis flag as his Facebook profile photo.
The photo was reported to the police in March and the men was investigated for incitement to racial hatred. The man, originally from Syria, denied the charges.
He said he is not a supporter of Isis and claimed the flag has been used as a symbol of Islam for hundreds of years and then abused by Isis, his defence attorney Bjorn Nilsson told the Swedish newspaper Hallandsposten.
Prosecutor Gisela Sjövall took the decision not to prosecute, saying the issue was whether the Isis flag could be considered a hate symbol, in the same way the Nazi swastika could be considered an incitement to racial hatred.
Ms Sjövall said waving an Isis flag could not be considered hate speech, according to Hallandsposten. Incitement to racial hatred was made an offence in Sweden to protect minority groups.
But waving the Isis flag "is not an expression of disrespect towards any ethnic group," she said, because Isis is "against everyone except those who belong to Isis".
Monochrome flags are an ancient tradition in ancient Eastern, Arabic and Islamic tradition. 
The flag is also used by al-Shabab in Somalia and al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, among other terror groups.

Boris Johnson previously said the Isis flag should not be banned by law in Britain, because it is a "free country".
Mr Johnson made the comment when he was Mayor of London: “I don’t like people carrying the Isis flag … I think a balance has got to be struck,” he said.
“We live in a free country and I think you’d have to have primary legislation to designate certain bits of iconography as being illegal. It would be quite difficult.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-isis-islamic-state-daesh-flag-legal-illegal-facebook-laholm-a7363211.html

• 3 weeks later...

I always believed that the flag, in its simplest form, was just a prayer that has been used as a symbol of hate by those in the religion that want to carry out terror offences? So essentially to ban it would be to ban a prayer?

I'm not 100% sure on this, so if someone could confirm one way or another it would be interesting to know for sure.

By all means, support ISIS? Show the world what you support! Please!

(i hope some idiots don't misconstrue the intent of this comment)

21 hours ago, sbasil said:

If someone's stupid enough to  wave a daesh flag in public, go right ahead. At least the officials can keep a close watch on them know what kind of ideals they root for. :woot:

IF my statement above is correct, then this would be like saying that anyone displaying the Swastika should be followed and charged for Nazi hate crimes, even though its used by religious people, such as Hindu's as a symbol of peace...

15 hours ago, restroom said:

I always believed that the flag, in its simplest form, was just a prayer that has been used as a symbol of hate by those in the religion that want to carry out terror offences? So essentially to ban it would be to ban a prayer?

I'm not 100% sure on this, so if someone could confirm one way or another it would be interesting to know for sure.

Exactly the same thing applies to the Swastika.  For thousands of years it was a symbol of peace and goodness, until the Nazi's appropriated it and now, to the vast majority of the world, it's a symbol of hate and evil. 

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:17 AM, sbasil said:

If someone's stupid enough to  wave a daesh flag in public, go right ahead. At least the officials can keep a close watch on them know what kind of ideals they root for. :woot:

I had a similar thought

15 hours ago, restroom said:

Just ban all prayer and make the world a much better place!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Exactly the same thing applies to the Swastika.  For thousands of years it was a symbol of peace and goodness, until the Nazi's appropriated it and now, to the vast majority of the world, it's a symbol of hate and evil. 

Yep, I already pointed that out :p