Computer Desk (Ideas?)

I've been looking at this for the last 6 months:

N0N2C7x.jpg

However, Target, or anywhere, for that matter, doesn't have it anymore. :(

I was originally thinking on buying 2 of these, place them back to back together, shelves on both sides, maybe doing something different with those bottom right shelving. Reversing it, maybe make it a box. idk...

But, as they are no longer available, and way too pricey for my likes, can I make this myself?

I'm not a big DYI person, so give me some pointers here... @CrashGordon

12 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I've been looking at this for the last 6 months:

However, Target, or anywhere, for that matter, doesn't have it anymore. :(

I was originally thinking on buying 2 of these, place them back to back together, shelves on both sides, maybe doing something different with those bottom right shelving. Reversing it, maybe make it a box. idk...

But, as they are no longer available, and way too pricey for my likes, can I make this myself?

I'm not a big DYI person, so give me some pointers here... @CrashGordon

Google Image Search....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Altra-Furniture-London-Hobby-Desk-with-12-Cube-Storage-in-Espresso-9358196/205323865

95 bucks each tho.  Not a big DIY person either.   Know anyone who is that can help you out?

2 hours ago, techbeck said:

Google Image Search....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Altra-Furniture-London-Hobby-Desk-with-12-Cube-Storage-in-Espresso-9358196/205323865

95 bucks each tho.  Not a big DIY person either.   Know anyone who is that can help you out?

Well, I do know a friend the works in a shop, building cabinets and other things. I think he could help me...

I always think ooh that would be handy, then fall back to a cantilever desk style, looks too enclosed for my liking.

I bagged a couple of old Sven Christiansen corner desks that were being disposed of, from work.

https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/office-desks/sven-x-range-office-desks/x-range-ergonomic-desks/sven-x-range-panel-end-ergonomic-desks.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=XMLbase_feed&utm_term=X-Range+Ergonomic+Desks&utm_campaign=Sven_X-Range_Panel_End_Ergonomic_Desks&gclid=CjwKEAjw7ZHABRCTr_DV4_ejvgQSJACr-Ycw9DtZVwNR6NfG8G9W5qFAZj1UMXQWd3wxvQqD1qoFBxoCb4Xw_wcB

I have a similar shape to that, enough room for 3x27"s and a laptop next to desktop setup. 

1400Lx1235Wx735H 

20161004_201800.jpg.f50f62fa7fc2ab474c9f

your mate who works in a workshop, you could build a simple top surface and then get him to make the struts, benefit is, you could get it custom made to any shape you need.

Edited by Mando

3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, I do know a friend the works in a shop, building cabinets and other things. I think he could help me...

Would talk to your friend.  Maybe learn something in the process.  Had a friend of mine build me a reptile enclosure years back instead of buying a premade one from the store.  Was able to customize the size to fit the area I wanted it in better.  Just had to buy the materials.

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Would talk to your friend.  Maybe learn something in the process.  Had a friend of mine build me a reptile enclosure years back instead of buying a premade one from the store.  Was able to customize the size to fit the area I wanted it in better.  Just had to buy the materials.

funny you say that, im planning the exact same project for next month :) mines all glass vertical though (cresties) I've repaired and remade a few aquariums over the years. toying with a proper lights (light cycling) substrate and real fauna plants this time for them, silk plants are fine but not as good as a proper vine plant. Pop in a couple of foggers and slide it into a recess next to old fireplace :) job done next to aquariums.

Just now, Mando said:

funny you say that, im planning the exact same project for next month :) mines all glass vertical though (cresties) Ive repaired and remade a few aquariums over the years.

Mine was made out of just wood with fiberglass sliding windows in the front.  Simple.  And then UV lights mounted on the top.  Was divided in to to enclosures.

• 3 weeks later...

My neighbor is a huge wood worker. He builds tables, chairs, hell he was selling custom made guitars for awhile. Made about $2,000 a pop for a hobby.

Anyways, he's currently patching up my design for a easily moved Oak Desk. It'll hold 2 computer towers on each L portion, enough support for 8 monitors (4 per system), a location for a switch, a pop out location for a KVM Switch, and finally a location for my Micro Server from Supermicro.

I do like that 12 shelf deal though, that'd be perfect for my guest room in my house.