fx 8350 worth upgrading to?

ime looking to update my computer after not doing so for a while, and ime looking at getting the fx8350 and pairing it with a gtx 1060(gigabyte). my only question is would i be better off spending the extra and getting a i5 now instead?

Current spec

970A-UD3P AMD Gigabyte AM3+ ATX Motherboard

2GB MSI Radeon R7 250 OC DDR3

530W BeQuiet BN181 PurePowerL8

AMD Phenom IIx2 550 3.10GHz

The 2gb is the graphics card, got 8gb ram but just wanted to see if anyone thought it would be worth the extra, as know the fx series is bit old now

31 minutes ago, brads900 said:

The 2gb is the graphics card, got 8gb ram but just wanted to see if anyone thought it would be worth the extra, as know the fx series is bit old now

I run 16GB RAM on my system right now. I'm just telling you, you can still upgrade.

On 10/18/2016 at 9:25 PM, brads900 said:

530W BeQuiet BN181 PurePowerL8

I'm not so sure how you can get away with a power supply that low considering that AMD CPUs/GPUs are power hungry.

On 10/21/2016 at 7:50 PM, Danielx64 said:

I'm not so sure how you can get away with a power supply that low considering that AMD CPUs/GPUs are power hungry.

GPU, I'll agree with you. Especially the higher class ones. But it's CPU's, however, aren't power hungry bastards...

At $150 it's a pretty good chip, and with proper cooling and ample power it's a solid overclocker.

It's not going to be a night/day upgrade, but it will feed a GTX 1060 just fine.

I have a AMD FX-8350 + Nvidia GTX 660
And only running a 500W PSU.

I have no issues Gameing on my System.. sure the GFX is a little low.
But it runs all the games i run ok... Doom runs on med Settings at 1080p even.

Get the 8350. and upgrade to Xen or something else in the Future. but right now. with the 1060.
I'd say you'd be set for another 3-5 years. as the 8350 is still a Decent CPU compared to Intel CPU's in the Same price range.

I also suggest upgrading the PSU if needed. check some of the Great Power supply calculators.

41 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

GPU, I'll agree with you. Especially the higher class ones. But it's CPU's, however, aren't power hungry bastards...

Well the AMD FX-8350 has a Thermal Design Power of 125W so yes some CPUs can be power hungry.

3 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

Or go skylake or katylake.

That would work as well. But if it were me, I still wait for Zen just in case. If their performance claims hold up, you might get lucky and get a 6-8 core CPU for what you would've paid for an i5-i7. 

Bottom line is if you buy the 8350, you're only helping AMD clear inventory at this point. Not worth $150, IMO. At $75, it'd be worth considering.

I bet the cost of those 8350's will drop significantly once Zen launches. Waiting for Zen will help you either way :)

Edited by slamfire92

Why is everyone waiting? If you do that for every socket, you'll be waiting forever...

14 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Why is everyone waiting? If you do that for every socket, you'll be waiting forever...

Because better things are just around the corner, not a year or two out.

If I know Zen is out in two months, I'm not paying full price for AMD's old CPU today. Heavily discounted, sure. NFW at full retail.