How to Share Files Between Computers

I know there's many, hundreds of guides on the internet about this. It but I have a slightly different requirement.

I have two computers. Both running Windows 10, one Home, the other Pro.

Both login by themselves without me typing in a password.

One PC has the username of HTPC with no password. The other has a username but I don't remember if there is a password or not. I know it's linked to my Outlook account.

I've right-clicked and "shared" a couple of the partitions/drives.

When I turn on both computers, they can see each other in the "Network" section but when I click on the other PC, it asks for a username and password. However it says blank passwords are not allowed.

Before I moved, I set up a Homegroup on one PC and used the password to join it from the second PC. Although it was fine and dandy in the old house, this one not so much.

Is there a short step by step guide on what I can do? I only want to transfer files between both computers.

Well, without going through the HomeGroup settings, surely I can just set the Sharing permissions and it'll use Explorer?

Did that, and it finally found the folders on the other PC but wouldn't actually allow me to access them, despite the permissions set to "everyone" for Full Control.

I recommend you don't use Homegroup. It is crap and it shares the entire C:\Users directory on the network with full read-write permissions set to "Everyone". Which is fine as long as no password is set which means no one can login from the network. But if you enable Homegroup and your account has a password, anyone can logon from the network without that password if you have "Everyone" permissions. Don't use the Sharing Wizard either (Explorer's Simple File Sharing crap) because it messes up your local file system security permissions. Instead only "Advanced Sharing" which only changes network share permissions.

Set a password instead for all accounts on all PCs and you'll be able to use good old Workground-based method and access that PC's share with the correct user account and password you want from another PC. Set the Share permissions to "Authenticated users", not "Everyone" and access the PC on the network via its computer name. In Run box or address bar of Explorer, type the PC's full name e.g. \\Computer-Name. Or open the "Network" node in Explorer. You will be prompted for credentials, enter them and you'll be able to mount the share to a drive letter too.

If you don't get prompted for a password when you access the PC or share via SMB, use Control Panel -> Credential Manager to add the credentials.

However, by doing that, it then doesn't like it as both user accounts I use on both PCs don't have a password.

Even stranger, whn accessing from the home PC, some of the hard drives I am sharing on HTPC have full permissions (IE, read/write/delete), others are saying that I don't have permission to even view the files on the hard drive.  However, looking at the permissions on the HTPC, they're both identical.

I just don't understand why there are so many settings for something that should be very simple.  For added info, my network and sharing center settings are set to:

Turn on network discovery

Turn on printer and file sharing

Use user accounts/passwords to connect to other pcs

In "All Networks", I have selected "turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders" as well as "turn off password protected sharing"

Only thing I did was , share a folder (not every folder) given permission to everyone. And turned password sharing off

Works fine between 3 pc's.  And you can (if it works) add the path under the sendto option (when you right mouse on a file).

Altho if you're trying to run programs from another pc, I'l doubt that'll work

No, simply share a bunch of files so I can transfer from one PC to another.

I'll have to post some screenshots as there must be something somewhere - especially with the two hard drives as they have the same share settings but when I click on it, Windows tells me I don't have permission to view the files.  Why there is a setting to view the hard drive but not the files I don't know...

Assuming you have these computers online - cant you use OneDrive (or DropBox LAN Sync, or any cloud app) ?
Even the slow filesharing feature of Teamviewer would give you drag n drop sharing.
FTP ?
Shareit
Even BitTorrent Sync ?

Both are online but...

1) Why use the internet when I should be able to transfer directly between them both?

2) Some of the files I am storing are rather large

3) Surely, providing it works correctly, it would be way loads quicker to simply navigate to the "Network" of This PC, then choose what files I want and transfer them over?

Here's some screenshots:

Two folders, permissions exactly the same but I can't access the Holding hard drive from the other PC:

perms.jpg

Here's the dialog I get when trying to access it:

03.jpg

One last thought is that it doesn't matter that my networks are called different things?

The HTPC says "network" but the other computer says "network 2".  I had another look at HomeGroups just in case that would help bridge the connection between them but the HTPC says I've already created one (not that I can view the password or whatever) and the other PC says it wants to create one.

It's strange though as I've just transferred a bunch of files to the folder on the HTPC I can access from the other PC, so I know both can talk to each other...  although saying that now, the HTPC can't see the other PC's shared hard drive anymore.

Edited by Sir Topham Hatt

6 hours ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Both are online but...

1) Why use the internet when I should be able to transfer directly between them both?

2) Some of the files I am storing are rather large

3) Surely, providing it works correctly, it would be way loads quicker to simply navigate to the "Network" of This PC, then choose what files I want and transfer them over?

Here's some screenshots:

Two folders, permissions exactly the same but I can't access the Holding hard drive from the other PC:

perms.jpg

Here's the dialog I get when trying to access it:

03.jpg

One last thought is that it doesn't matter that my networks are called different things?

The HTPC says "network" but the other computer says "network 2".  I had another look at HomeGroups just in case that would help bridge the connection between them but the HTPC says I've already created one (not that I can view the password or whatever) and the other PC says it wants to create one.

It's strange though as I've just transferred a bunch of files to the folder on the HTPC I can access from the other PC, so I know both can talk to each other...  although saying that now, the HTPC can't see the other PC's shared hard drive anymore.

Win 10 and 2k12 + have all sorts of issues without a pwd for share access. set a password on both accounts, force autologin then use the format \\PCA\account name & password on the share \\PCB\share once you set and tell it to use alternative creds, it will work forevermore. also check your NTFS ACL matches the share permissions. Also ensure they are in the same "workgroup" share$ ACL and NTFS ACLS are two different access methods and both need looked at.

its lack of password it has an issue with.

"Also ensure they are in the same "workgroup"

When will this FUD die??? What workgroup machines are in have ZERO to do with file sharing.. ZERO!!

Domain is a different thing - workgroups have zero to do with accessing a file share.  The only thing they do is organize machines in the browse list.

If you don't want to use passwords on your accounts.. I am like 99% sure this works for windows 10 as well.

http://www.howtogeek.com/126214/how-to-create-network-file-shares-with-no-passwords-in-windows-8/

• Like 1