it is possible you try to repair a motherboard, swapping all components with possible defects and it still does not work

it is possible you try to repair a motherboard, swapping all components with possible defects and it still does not work?

sometimes it's possible you happen to try, try and try to repair and replace the bad component. then try and replace old, worn and worn components. and keep trying and even exchanging components that do not need to change.

and after all this, you get testing and motherboard go bad or get back to work but full of errors?

Once again, you are making no sense. You really need to learn proper English, man.

From what I understood from that, motherboards, like all computer hardware, can go bad.

• Like 2

Some classic one-liners in here, haha. But, to answer your question, it is possible to repair motherboard components. Capacitors, resistors, heat-sinks, traces, etc can be fixed with the right tools. I have seen even boards that are fixed, not work, which might mean even more damage than you originally suspected. Possibly CPU socket related, or a component that might not be easily repairable, or even worth it at all. Sometimes, it is easier to purchase a new board rather than attempt to repair a broken board. That might not be what you want to hear, because of the cost, but it sounds like the best option.

I've replaced some of the barrel caps that have gone bad on boards, but only if that board was irreplaceable or the customer couldn't afford a new one. Otherwise it went into the bin.

• Like 2

Hello,

Certainly.  I've replaced capacitors, resistors and SIMM sockets before, as well as removed soldered-on CMOS/RTC backup batteries and replaced them with connectors for removable ones or sockets for easier replacement, but it's been a while since I've done so.  Mostly that was with 80486 and Pentium motherboards, but some of that was with Pentium 2, 3, and 4 motherboards, so not a lot during the past fifteen years, but that sort of thing was more common before when most components were through-hole and not surface-mounted.  You have to be very careful not to damage anything further when replacing components, of course.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

On 19/10/2016 at 2:48 AM, Circaflex said:

Some classic one-liners in here, haha. But, to answer your question, it is possible to repair motherboard components. Capacitors, resistors, heat-sinks, traces, etc can be fixed with the right tools. I have seen even boards that are fixed, not work, which might mean even more damage than you originally suspected. Possibly CPU socket related, or a component that might not be easily repairable, or even worth it at all. Sometimes, it is easier to purchase a new board rather than attempt to repair a broken board. That might not be what you want to hear, because of the cost, but it sounds like the best option.

that's what I was thinking, sometimes repair may be impossible.

I've tried to fix after placing SMD resistors.
  I had an accident and I ripped a 2 to 10 resistors smd very small and I damaged the tracks, the video card, never returned to work!
and the repair was microscopic, being impossible to repair!

it seems that sometimes repair a motherboard, can become an impossible task.

it seems to me that it would be possible to repair, would be the major components, as microscopic components would be impossible to fix.

if you are talking about unsoldering and resoldering components off and on the motherboard...if the motherboard is dead, the motherboard is dead.  There are fragile electrical lines in the motherboard that can easily rupture in different areas that can occur when objects like diodes and capacitors on the motherboard go bad.  If you have no way to test the entire electrical path to and from each and every microscopic component of the motherboard it is best to toss the motherboard and install a new or known working motherboard.  It does not pay to attempt to troubleshoot it yourself, it pays more to strip the motherboard of it's precious metals....and even that isn't all that much unless you have 100's or 1000's of motherboards.

Maybe the bios is infected with a virus ;) heheheh ROFL.. Sorry just couldn't help myself..  Normally this posters concerns are with viruses..

No offense and applaud you for trying.. I can barely communicate in english.. But something clearly is being lost in translation for the level of question your having or the conversation you want to have.  You might be better off posting in a native language board.

Back in my Navy days, yes at times we had to repair at the component level.  For starters when your in the middle of the ocean and the radio has to work NOW and there are no more spares.. You have to do what you have to do.   But for the life of me I could not see repair of a MB being a cost effective endeavor.  The cost of the person's time with the appropriate skills to do that level of repair would most likely far surpass the cost of just getting a new board or a whole new computer for that matter.  Are you talking about doing this for your hobby? Or some side business where you take old boards and replace say a cap or something and then resell them in some 3rd world market for your own profit?

Its one thing to maybe solder a new power plug onto a mb or replace say a soldered on cmos battery for your own hardware.  But replacement of any of the micro components just not cost effective.  But even in the case of something so basic.. Pretty much today if its electronics and it fails - its time to just get new, or replace via rma.  To be honest if its out of warranty any money spent on repair is more than likely better spent on refresh of the tech anyway.  Maybe there are something things you could salvage in a computer for example, like memory or ssd/hdd or optical drive, etc.  The case maybe..  But to be honest todays electronics are throw away items.

You don't see your street lined with TV repair shops any more do you.. Not when I can go get a brand new one with all the latest tech advances for prob less than person would charge me to repair it.  Shoot I kind of wish my main tv would DIE already..  Its 7 years old and would love to go get a new 4k screen, etc.  But just can not justify the cost of doing that when its currently working just as good as it did the day I bought it ;)  Even though I really really want too ;)

Never knew you were in the Navy, @BudMan *salutes to you*

But, it's probably cheaper to buy a new board or RMA. Let the big guys fix it.

there ... thank you, that was the answer I needed and clarified a lot.

then it appears that repair work can be very expensive, have to have a lot of study, skill and time. and in the end may not be able to fix the desired electronic board.

even for those who work with restoration may fail completely ...

It seems to have to fix, just what you have more certainty than doubt it will get. have to calculate the probability of success ... would that be?